Bontrager Race Lite Tandem wheelsets - clincher

1.8/5 (5 Reviews)

• 24/24 hole design offers excellent lateral and radial stiffness
  • Hubset is Swiss made with forged 7075 aluminum shells and cro-moly axles
  • Rear hub uses star ratchet drive system
  • Rear hub can be converted to accept disc rotors or drum brakes
  • Spokes are 14G bladed stainless steel
  • J-bend type allows for replacement

Submitted by Keith

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    Light, low spoke count

Weaknesses:    Hubs are weak

Bottom Line:
ON a Trek T2000. We broke our rear tandem where 2 spokes connect. The hub cracked and we lost 2 spokes..This happend at about 2500-3000 miles on the bike. About 4 months later we noticed a very similar small crack on the front hub.

I also have a set of bontrager racelights on my single bike also, and noticed they have cracks in the wheel itself. I will be buying a different brand next time around.

Submitted by hbrider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looking wheels. Lots of compliments. Light.

Weaknesses:    Weak low reliability read hub. Mean Time Between Failure calculations were off by some Trek-Bontrager Engineering department. Trek should warranty these or offer exchange hubs. Now it's my expense for Trek's design engineering being off target.

Bottom Line:
Read the other reviews so I decided to take a look at my rear hub today now that I have 2000 miles accrued. Guess what? Same problem as other users, rear hub failed. Has a through crack at one spoke mount location and will need to be replaced. Glad to see this before failing or worse with two riders on-board out on the open road.

Favorite Ride:   Santiago Canyon orange county

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Trek Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Other Bontragers, Mavics

Bike Setup:   Trek T-2000 Tandem - stock

Submitted by Mike a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub

Bottom Line:
Same problem as other users, rear hub failed after a few months used by 300lb team. Too few spokes? Switched to Velocity Dyad, so far so good.

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Dyad

Bike Setup:   Trek T2000

Submitted by narticulate a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid ride, 50 mph downhill no problem, ride is nearly as good as steel, Georgous finish.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub for sure.

Bottom Line:
Be aware of the rear hub.

Got the bike, indistinguishable from new, from a couple who did a failed tandem experiment. Great bike, good solid ride, light, laterally stiff and very pleasing to the eye. The rub, we blew out the rear hub at 1200 total miles. While we are not typical tandemneers we are not off the end of Bell Curve. Team weight is 330 and we do a fair amount of hard climbs but then also are 53 and 50 years old. The stoker is 130 pounds of loveliness so you can readily cipher the source of the issue. If you are a light team or do little intense climbing the rear hub may not be an issue. In my opinion the T-2000 is overall a very good bike and a solid value. The stock wheels, Bontrager Tandem Race Lites, other than the rear hub are just fine. They are too good and also to costly to trash so I am looking for a replacement hub to salvage them. Hopefully Trek will continue to produce this tandem with a more reliable rear hub. On foot pushing a beautiful bike is no place to be, but it beats pushing an ugly bike.

Favorite Ride:   flat with a huge tail wind

Price Paid:    $2025.00

Purchased At:   individual - used

Similar Products Used:   Borrowed Burley as an experiment. Burley ride can't be beat for plushness. Weight is perhaps another matter. In a two dimentional world (Florida and Lousiana) they may be the solution.

Bike Setup:   stock-which is pretty dang good.

Submitted by CactusJackSlade a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Aero, fairly light, handle well (laterally stiff)

Weaknesses:    The rear hub is obvious;y an issure - blew out the freehub pawls with less than 2000 miles on the wheels.

Bottom Line:
These came on the bike - Trek T2000 tandem

I was actually hoping to find info about these wheels, not to be the first review. Unfortunately the reason I was looking for info is because on todays group ride as we started up "the big hill" we blew out the freehub and had to call for a ride home.

Until this incident these wheels were great, loved them. Fairly light for a tandem wheel, aero and handle well... but all that goes out the window if you have to walk home...

If these were reliable I'd rate them a 4... since we had to walk a 2...

Favorite Ride:   anytown anywhere

Similar Products Used:   First time on a Bontrager (DT swiss?) wheel.

Bike Setup:   Trek T2000 tandem with upgrades. Capt'n and crew less than 300lbs.