Bontrager Race Lite wheelsets - clincher

3.32/5 (135 Reviews)

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking – 20 hole, 23mm semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics (especially with 23c tire), while the 24 hole, 21mm rear rim with OSB improves lateral rigidity and prolongs wheel life
  • Rear hub is Swiss made, fully serviceable, with a combination of cartridge and needle bearings; torque sharing design improves wheel stiffness and wheel life, while steel freehub body will not get marred up with use
  • Front hub has large cartridge bearings and an oversized aluminum axle
  • Spokes are 14G bladed stainless steel; J-bend type allows for replacement with any standard 14G spoke in a pinch
  • Bontrager Race Lite Road Cro-moly skewers included
  • Weight: 740/1020 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ed a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2012

Strengths:    Customer service of local bike shop

Weaknesses:    Broke 2 rear wheels in 3 years

Bottom Line:
    I love these wheels - when they don't break. Stayed true even though I am 190 lbs. Pretty light and aero. I used them in all sorts of rides.

Favorite Ride:   Turnball Canyon

Purchased At:   Pasadena Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone with Ultegra

Submitted by jhighsinger a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Roll smooth and stiff, fairly light, especially the Race X Lite.

Weaknesses:    Durability.

Bottom Line:
    Junk. These came stock on my Trek. Six months in, a spoke pulled through the rear rim. One year later, popped a spoke, discovered cracks all around the wheel. Same story less than a year later. And again. Then the rep upgraded me to a Race X Lite. Three months, eyelet came out. Next Race X Lite showed cracks within 3k miles.
    The front fared better, so I didn't notice the multiple cracks in it until after the 5-year warranty period. Not sure how long they were there though.
    I am a bit of a Clydesdale (200 lbs.), and ride hard but not on rough terrain. These wheels are junk.
    To their credit, Bontrager replaced every one free of charge, the last one even past the warranty period. The service, and the fact that the wheels performed well when not broken warrants a mediocre rating. After all, I did get 5+ years out of them.
    Great service, bad product.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CXP22, Alex Race 28

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek 5000, Ultegra triple group.

Submitted by Joe DePalma a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    Bladed spokes, looks, price

Weaknesses:    Paired spoke design puts too much stress on such a small rim area

Bottom Line:
    I bought the wheels on a closeout at my LBS. They were on a 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 floor model and had seen probably 300 miles or so before I bought them. They look good, and the bladed spokes are pretty aerodynamic, but the rear rim developed cracks only after 50 miles of riding on northern Delaware roads. The paired spoke design tries to solve a problem that never existed. Paired spokes put too much pressure over a small rim surface, and thus the rim cracks. Front is perfect (since there's less weight pounding it while riding).

Favorite Ride:   New Castle loop, Delaware

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race, Matrix 750, BWW Pure CX wheels

Bike Setup:   2007 Trek 7.2 FX with Bontager carbon XC fork, full Ultegra drivetrain, and TRP Euro cantilever brakes

Submitted by murbike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Tough wheels.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
    The Bonty Race Lites came with my bike ('06 LeMond Sarthe) - I expected them to last 2, 3 years max. It's been over 5 now, and they are just starting to show the wear. I'm a 'heavier' rider, and can really work on wheels.

This wheelset has really surprised me - they've gone out of true maybe 3 times.

I am very impressed.

Favorite Ride:   The one with the wind at my back. On a downhill.

Purchased At:   Pedal Power Middleto

Similar Products Used:   Handbuilt Mavics

Bike Setup:   Blah, blah, blah

Submitted by TimT a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
    The rear wheel contibually went out of true, sometimes required straightening after each ride. Eventually I bought a new rim but that just did the same, and worse because the rim itself began to show cracks around the spoke holes. I have now left the wheel with the dealer (Alpine Bikes in Aberdeen) who refused to give a refund. I think there is a fundamental design flaw as there are simply too few spokes to take the stress going int the back wheel. The front wheel was always fine. Won't be buying any more Trek products or using Alpine Bikes again.

Help with Bontrager Race Lite

[COLOR=#333333][I]My Bontrager Race Lite rear wheel was stolen. I cannot afford to buy a new replacement set. Should I stick with a used Bontrager, or spring for something new but entirely different and less expensive? Can I keep my Bontrager on the front and a different wheel on the back?[/I][/COLO ... Read More »

Aksium Race to Vuelta Corsa Lite-- Upgrade?

My stock wheels are Mavic Aksium Race (2011) and I am considering the Vuelta Corsa Lite from Nashbar. The Aksium's have been problem free and reliable. Anyone make a similar switch who can comment whether this is a worthwhile move? Mostly ride rolling hills.Read More »

2008 Bontrager Race X Lite

In my quest to become marginally faster without training harder, I'm considering going tubeless for the rest of the cross season. I can't find any answers that make me sure of this so I might as well as here (after trying the search function and Google). Does anyone know if 2008 Bontrager Race X L ... Read More »

Bontrager Race X Lite wheels - Good Quality wheels or not?

Just wondering how the Race X Lite Wheels compare as far as aluminum is considered? They would appear to be right there as far as weight goes compared to a number of carbon wheel sets I have looked at.Read More »

Bontrager Race X Lite Wheels Quality?

As far as aluminum wheels go, are the Race X Lites considered good wheels quality wise? No racing just lots of road miles. Weight wise they seem to equal many carbon wheels I have looked up.Read More »