Bontrager Race X-Lite wheelsets - clincher

3.87/5 (62 Reviews)

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking – 20 hole, 23mm semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics (especially with 23c tire), while the 24 hole, 21mm rear rim with OSB improves lateral rigidity and prolongs wheel life
  • Hubs are Swiss made, fully serviceable, triple sealed, cartridge bearing design; system uses aluminum axles and a star ratchet system in the rear; torque sharing, oversized, rear hub more effectively transfers torque to left side reducing wind-up and makes for a longer lasting wheel
  • Aluminum freehub body reduces weight and should be used with aluminum bodied cassettes
  • Spokes are butted and bladed stainless steel, as light as a DT Revolution, but 20% stronger – J-bend type spoke design allows for replacement with any standard 14g spoke in a pinch.
  • Bontrager Race X-Lite Road titanium skewers included
  • Weight: 660/870 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Nathan

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, lightweight, stiff

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
    Love these wheels! bought them last year and haven't had any problems with them. These are not the lightest or the stiffest wheels you can buy, but they do the job for me! Also, the durability of the hubs, spokes, and rims are superb. I ride these wheels around the streets of Baltimore City (abundant potholes) a lot of the time and hardly ever have to true them.

Submitted by sigmabannysigma a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    Superior hubs - DT Swiss 240 -over 20 thousand miles

fast

climbers

effectively aero for box section rims

corner good

despite cracking at a few eyelets, the wheels wheels are still holding strong after 20 thousand miles

Bonti's 5 year warranty

Weaknesses:    Rims at eyelets crack which is a continuing problem for Bonti.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2008 RXL. Got over 20 thousand miles on them... NEVER had to service the hubs... still rolling like a champ!! Bonti uses DT SWISS 240 hubs and they are solid, smooth, durable and fast.
    This wheelset is a warranty replacement for an '05 RXL that deveolped cracks in rim. THESE rims have developed a small cracks in them too. There cracks at 2 or 3 eyelets in the rear wheel rim after about 10k or so miles, however I still ride them and the cracks have not gotten worse. These wheels keep rolling strong and I rarely have to true them.

Bonti has a 5 year warranty on their wheels. I will ride these a little longer before I take the wheel in for warranty.

I NEVER have to service the hubs.

If Bonti RXL did not use DT Swiss hubs then I would not bother riding them.

Favorite Ride:   Your Momma

Submitted by ufkick93 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2010

Strengths:    Lighter than Race Lites. Have held together longer than my other Race Lites. Good training wheel. And as in my other Race Lite review "they are round, they roll."

Weaknesses:    Still lack lateral stiffness that some other wheels are providing now.

Bottom Line:
    Nearly a year ago, I posted my review for the terribly built Race Lite wheels that came with my Madone. That LBS, soon there after, replaced the problem with a set of new RXLs. I have not had any problems from this set of wheels thus far. I use them as a training wheel and use my set of Topolino 2.0 Black series wheels as my primary race/climbing wheels. 195 lbs 6'0 sprinter. Gotta have more lateral stiffness in the rear wheel.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Topolino 2.0 Black Carbon Core

Submitted by serotta 219 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    Very fast for a 70's cyclist.

Weaknesses:    I hate it when a hub pulls apart.(My old Campy Record hubs never did such a thing-even after 25,000 hard loaded miles)

Bottom Line:
    I bought a 2002 Lemond Maillot Jaune off ebay about four years ago. I'm a touring cyclist starting in the mid 70's with many thousand miles. It was exciting coming into a new age with fancy wheels. Last week when I was about 2-3 miles from home I broke a front spoke on my Bontrager X Lites. When I got home I realized the front hub had pulled apart!!

Favorite Ride:   Bear Spring Mt.

Purchased At:   e bay