Bontrager Race wheelsets - clincher

2.55/5 (69 Reviews)

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking
  • Semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics
  • Hubset utilizes smooth sealed cartridge bearings for years of dependable service
  • Not compatible with Campagnolo
  • Spokes are 14G bladed stainless steel with brass locking nipples
  • J-bend type allows for replacement

Submitted by RonV42

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2015

Strengths:    These wheels came standard on my 2013 Madone 4.5. They were solid in the first two years. Performed well.

Weaknesses:    Prone to stress cracks around spoke nipple.

Bottom Line:
After 4,000 miles the back wheel went out of true during a ride. The shop did a quick true and then during a full true they found the cracks in the rim. I have never seen a set of rims to this before. The shop has replaced the rear wheel under warranty but Trek is not extending the warranty beyond the original term.

Trek really needs to address this issue and my shop is recommending that I look at alternative wheel sets.

Submitted by David Blowers

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2015

Strengths:    Rides nice but...see weaknesses

Weaknesses:    After 7 months of riding Bontrager Race wheels, I kept hearing a creaking noise from the bike. I tightened all bolts, replaced chain, greased bars, seat post...still it was there. Not there when on the trainer. The wheel back wheel went out of true...when I checked it close...I found hairline cracks around the rim nipples. This wheel never hit pot holes or been trued. Warranty is going to replace it for me...but seeing others that had same failure...this is unacceptable especially when you pay thousands for Treks bikes & get such poor quality in a wheel. Sad.

Bottom Line:
Replacement from warranty is good but now I'm uncomfortable riding on them.

Submitted by Mike M

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2014

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    cracks around the spoke nipples

Bottom Line:
Wow, I bought my Madone 4.5 exactly two years ago tomorrow. The past couple of months I've noticed a sound from my rear wheel, like a rubbing. I looked at it several times but saw nothing except that it seemed a bit out of true. Finally got around to taking in to the Trek store I purchased the bike from and low and behold, I too had the dreaded "nipple cracks" as all of you have found. I think they stopped counting at about 12! Luckily they filed a warranty claim and gave me a loaner wheel but after reading all of this I think it's time I start looking at a new wheelset.

Submitted by koen de waele

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2014

Strengths:    at first they feel great

Weaknesses:    after 3000 to 5000 kilometers, cracks start to appear in the rear wheel, around the nipples.

Bottom Line:
the first year I got a new wheel for free, second year it was all of a sudden "no longer warranty". Bottom line : this product sucks big time, my dealer claims these wheels are ok but he should know better.

Submitted by Linda a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2014

Strengths:    I thought these were lightweight and easy to handle, until...

Weaknesses:    one of the spokes broke, so are definitely the weakest imo. New wheels had some bend spokes. The bike shop told me not to worry about it :S.

Bottom Line:
I thought these were pretty good wheels (they came with my 2013 Trek Madone 5.2). Coming from the heaver 2008 Madone 4.5 I thought these were very light, strong and gave me good acceleration. I'd never paid much attention to the wheels I was using, but after a spoke broke, within 3000 miles of riding, I brought it the bikeshop and the folks there hadn't really any possitive words about this wheel. "well, it's entry-level". Spokes were bend, one broken (making the wheel very unstable.) Can't trust these wheels anymore and after some research I'm going for the dura ace c24s as those seem great and are on sale. I don't which wheels I had on the Madone 4.5 but those lasted 5 years and about 12000 miles (the rim got too thin), never had a broken spoke, which is I guess the reason I never researched wheels (while I've researched almost everything else on the bike :S) Ow well, I'm disappointed about the quality. Also, why put the cheapest wheels on a fairly expensive bike that has all Ultegra parts on em?
Anyway, nice wheels for when you're new to cycling, don't do the long rides and don't climb very much.