Bontrager Race wheelsets - clincher

2.5/5 (72 Reviews)

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking
  • Semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics
  • Hubset utilizes smooth sealed cartridge bearings for years of dependable service
  • Not compatible with Campagnolo
  • Spokes are 14G bladed stainless steel with brass locking nipples
  • J-bend type allows for replacement

Submitted by pdudeney@optusnet.com.au

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2016

Strengths:    Lasted about 5000 kilometres of casual riding on smooth cycleways !!

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel is cracking from spokes with bits coming out.
Poor value for very light use.
No interest or support from dealers.

Bottom Line:
Dealer said it was very unusual. There is no warranty. He could sell me another wheel.
He must think I'm mad. NEVER AGAIN thank you.

Submitted by Princess Silque

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2016

Strengths:    economical

Weaknesses:    Cracking around the nipple

Bottom Line:
My bike just completed it's second season and the shop just called to say there are several cracks around the nipple on my rear rim. it's within the 2 year warranty, luckily, but i won't be replacing with another of the same. was very happy with my ksyrium elites - 10 years and about 75,000 kms and never a problem, always true! But they're pricey ... any suggestions between the Bontrager Race and Mavic Ksyrium Elites?

Submitted by rick woodbury

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2016

Strengths:    They are under warranty but I would love to get a different pair of wheels.

Weaknesses:    bought a 2016 trek domane here in Italy. The rims started disintegrating the first week I bought the bike. Little pieces of aluminum detach from the rim and embed in my brake pads making a loud scratching noise when I break. I cleaned the break pads different times. The rims continue to decompose.

Bottom Line:
Brand new bike with bad wheels. Wish I would have bought a Pinarello.

Favorite Ride:   from Foiano della chiana to Montepulciano.

Purchased At:   steeles bikes castig

Submitted by RonV42

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2015

Strengths:    These wheels came standard on my 2013 Madone 4.5. They were solid in the first two years. Performed well.

Weaknesses:    Prone to stress cracks around spoke nipple.

Bottom Line:
After 4,000 miles the back wheel went out of true during a ride. The shop did a quick true and then during a full true they found the cracks in the rim. I have never seen a set of rims to this before. The shop has replaced the rear wheel under warranty but Trek is not extending the warranty beyond the original term.

Trek really needs to address this issue and my shop is recommending that I look at alternative wheel sets.

Submitted by David Blowers

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2015

Strengths:    Rides nice but...see weaknesses

Weaknesses:    After 7 months of riding Bontrager Race wheels, I kept hearing a creaking noise from the bike. I tightened all bolts, replaced chain, greased bars, seat post...still it was there. Not there when on the trainer. The wheel back wheel went out of true...when I checked it close...I found hairline cracks around the rim nipples. This wheel never hit pot holes or been trued. Warranty is going to replace it for me...but seeing others that had same failure...this is unacceptable especially when you pay thousands for Treks bikes & get such poor quality in a wheel. Sad.

Bottom Line:
Replacement from warranty is good but now I'm uncomfortable riding on them.