Bontrager Race wheelsets - clincher

2.53/5 (70 Reviews)

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking
  • Semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics
  • Hubset utilizes smooth sealed cartridge bearings for years of dependable service
  • Not compatible with Campagnolo
  • Spokes are 14G bladed stainless steel with brass locking nipples
  • J-bend type allows for replacement

Submitted by rick woodbury

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2016

Strengths:    They are under warranty but I would love to get a different pair of wheels.

Weaknesses:    bought a 2016 trek domane here in Italy. The rims started disintegrating the first week I bought the bike. Little pieces of aluminum detach from the rim and embed in my brake pads making a loud scratching noise when I break. I cleaned the break pads different times. The rims continue to decompose.

Bottom Line:
Brand new bike with bad wheels. Wish I would have bought a Pinarello.

Favorite Ride:   from Foiano della chiana to Montepulciano.

Purchased At:   steeles bikes castig

Submitted by RonV42

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2015

Strengths:    These wheels came standard on my 2013 Madone 4.5. They were solid in the first two years. Performed well.

Weaknesses:    Prone to stress cracks around spoke nipple.

Bottom Line:
After 4,000 miles the back wheel went out of true during a ride. The shop did a quick true and then during a full true they found the cracks in the rim. I have never seen a set of rims to this before. The shop has replaced the rear wheel under warranty but Trek is not extending the warranty beyond the original term.

Trek really needs to address this issue and my shop is recommending that I look at alternative wheel sets.

Submitted by David Blowers

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2015

Strengths:    Rides nice but...see weaknesses

Weaknesses:    After 7 months of riding Bontrager Race wheels, I kept hearing a creaking noise from the bike. I tightened all bolts, replaced chain, greased bars, seat post...still it was there. Not there when on the trainer. The wheel back wheel went out of true...when I checked it close...I found hairline cracks around the rim nipples. This wheel never hit pot holes or been trued. Warranty is going to replace it for me...but seeing others that had same failure...this is unacceptable especially when you pay thousands for Treks bikes & get such poor quality in a wheel. Sad.

Bottom Line:
Replacement from warranty is good but now I'm uncomfortable riding on them.

Submitted by Mike M

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2014

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    cracks around the spoke nipples

Bottom Line:
Wow, I bought my Madone 4.5 exactly two years ago tomorrow. The past couple of months I've noticed a sound from my rear wheel, like a rubbing. I looked at it several times but saw nothing except that it seemed a bit out of true. Finally got around to taking in to the Trek store I purchased the bike from and low and behold, I too had the dreaded "nipple cracks" as all of you have found. I think they stopped counting at about 12! Luckily they filed a warranty claim and gave me a loaner wheel but after reading all of this I think it's time I start looking at a new wheelset.

Submitted by koen de waele

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2014

Strengths:    at first they feel great

Weaknesses:    after 3000 to 5000 kilometers, cracks start to appear in the rear wheel, around the nipples.

Bottom Line:
the first year I got a new wheel for free, second year it was all of a sudden "no longer warranty". Bottom line : this product sucks big time, my dealer claims these wheels are ok but he should know better.