Bontrager Select wheelsets - clincher

3.04/5 (48 Reviews)

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking; semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics, while rear rim with OSB improves lateral rigidity, prolongs wheel life – this wheel is extremely comfortable for those long century rides
  • Hubset utilizes forged shell with hardened, ground and polished cones and races, and Cro-moly axles; hubs are fully serviceable and replacement parts are available at your local Bontrager dealer
  • Spokes are 14/15G butted stainless steel with brass locking nipples; J-bend type allows for replacement with any standard 14G spoke in a pinch
  • Bontrager Race Lite Road Cro-moly skewers included
  • Weight: 835/1020 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Gary D a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    Look decent,stay true,spin well

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:

Have one on the rear of my 76 takara,got the wheel from a friend.So far I'm pleased with it plenty strong I ride 200 to 300 km a week and weigh 70kg.For what it is I totally have no complaints.

Submitted by tfielke a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Strengths:    Look Good,
    Handled anything I threw at them including a couple of at speed incidents in the Peleton

Weaknesses:    None that I know off.

Bottom Line:
    I road a pair of these from new for 42000 km until I sold the bike. This was over a 4 year period and I only broke one spoke which was caused by snapping a branch off in the rear wheel flicked up from road. I am around 82 kg. Great Product and they look good.

Favorite Ride:   everywhere

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Racing 7

Bike Setup:   Standard Trek 1500 year Model year 2003

Submitted by mac14 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    look good
    light
    paired spokes
    good stock wheel

Weaknesses:    hubs creek and need tuning

Bottom Line:
    these are pritty good wheels for stock and for starting out but bying another pair and useing these as spairs would be a good idea.

Favorite Ride:   sea side

Purchased At:   bike barn

Similar Products Used:   bontreger ssl

Submitted by Quixote a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy, bombproof actually. Railroads, potholes no problem. They are still true, but the rear wheel has gone slightly out of round.

Weaknesses:    Unforgiving on rough chip seal pavement compared to a carbon rim. Due to their weight, they are not very responsive, certainly not for use on any serious hills, and they really aren't aerodynamic.

Bottom Line:
    These rims came stock on my bike. I use them for training and off season rolling. They have about 6000km on them and have no cracks. They are an OK rim -not very resopnsive, but good for training or communting I suppose. Bombproof in my experience. I wouldn't and don't race with them.

Favorite Ride:   Rollyview

Bike Setup:   Lemond Tourmalet w/Reynolds DV46UL tubulars

Submitted by jontn_swift a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    Look cool

Weaknesses:    Paired spokes require too high tension and leave too much unsupported rim between the spoke pairs.

Bottom Line:
    These Wheels came on my Trek 1500. After 1 year and about 3000 miles the rear rim has developed cracks around several spoke holes. If you are a large and/or powerful rider these wheels are a bad idea.

Favorite Ride:   Club Tuesday night hammerfest