Boyd Cycling Carbon wheelsets - clincher

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The carbon clincher wheelset is one that does everything well. We like to tell people that if you need one wheelset for all your rides, the carbon clincher is the set for you. It's light enough to be a climbing wheel, aero enough to use in road races and criteriums. Because of all these great features, the carbon clincher is our most popular wheelset!

Submitted by Cyclingsam a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2012

Strengths:    Spin up speed, durability and value

Weaknesses:    None to date.

Bottom Line:
I've had these wheels for roughly 6 months and have close to 1.5k miles on them. I have ridden them through varied road (smooth, chip seal, pot holes) and weather (dry, wet) conditions and they have performed extremely well. They have remained true, spin up incredibly fast and hold speed.

They've pretty much replaced my other wheels (Kysrium SL's) unless it's raining.

In terms of the company, Boyd and his team provide great customer service which is key with any purchase.

If you're looking for a "do it all" set of wheels at a great price point, you should highly consider these wheels.

Bike Setup:   SL3 - Project Black

Submitted by Michael Henley

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very fast; Instant increase in speed; Great looks; Light weight; Durable; Very smooth hubs, Great sound

Weaknesses:    A little hard to put on tires

Bottom Line:
These wheels are fantastic, they are worth three times their retail price. They are very fast, durable, and light for their size. Boyd did a great job designing and building them. I would recommend them to everyone. I am very satisfied with them and they look great!

Submitted by Djrbikes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    Spins up fast and stays true. Good value.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've had these wheels for about a year and a half and have around 2000 miles on them. I use them in the low country of South Carolina where the roads are flat and smooth. I noticed a definite improvement as a result of the aerodynamics without suffering from cross wind problems. I have had no problems. They stay true and I haven't had any broken or bent spokes. The quality seems solid. The ride is typically smooth from carbon. They are good wheels and a nice value. After getting these wheels I was better able to maintain speed and pace lines with faster riders. They are the only wheels I use on this bike now. They are very nice for centuries and longer rides. I haven't used them for any significant climbing, but imagine they would be fine as they are light

Favorite Ride:   Hilton Head Bike Doctor Tuesday/Thursday training rides