Boyd Cycling Vitesse Alloy wheelsets - clincher

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The latest offering for the Vitesse alloy clincher wheelset comes in the form of a new rim. This rim is 23mm wide, 28mm deep. The increase width of the rim helps to create a better tire to rim interface. The tire doesn't have to deflect back into the rim as much (think lightbulb shape). This better tire shape will help with better handling for those days when you want to fly down a twisty mountain or race these in a technical crit. With matching the tire width to the rim width the airflow over the tire onto the rim is much smoother giving a more aerodynamic wheelset, even though this rim is not as deep as our previous Vitesse it will be more aerodynamic. With the better mating to the rim, you can run tires at lower PSI for a less harsh ride along rough asphalt. If you are going for a long epic ride you can better run 25mm tires for a smoother ride that is easier on your body. The wider rim will also translate into a stiffer rim, we do want all our wheels to be as stiff as possible and this rim will further help. For cyclocross applications this will be an ideal wheelset for riders not wanting to run tubular tires. The logos on this new rim are laser etched. This slightly helps to save weight and will make the rim very easy to keep clean. You can now wipe off all the dirt without worrying about any of the decals lifting up. 660 grams front / 818 grams rear (20/24 spoke option). 682 grams front / 840 grams rear (24/28 spoke option).

Submitted by Kris Kahl a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2016

Strengths:    Superb quality components and workmanship

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Bought a very slightly used set of Boyd Vitesse wheels off ebay about 10 days ago. Rode them 9evnery day since they arrived (in the original Boyd box and packaging, sooo well protected!) Running 25c folding clinchers, the ride is sublime. Can't wait to put my new Vittoria Open Pave 27c tires on these wheels! Mine are the 20-24 spoke build, I weigh around 185-190, but pay attention to bad road issues to protect all my wheels. Love the wide set hub bearings, the rims, spokes, and the lazer etched lettering. These roll so well, climb without any complaints, and jump when you stand up on them. I am using them on a 2015 Wilier Cento 1 SR, with SRAM Force, FSA SLK crankset, Ritchey trim bits. Much prefer these to any other wheels I have owned or ridden, including a really nice set of Zipp 303 clinchers. I only paid about $285 for the set, but would gladly pay full retail for wheels of this quality!

Favorite Ride:   Hilton hill Jenks south ride

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 303 clinchers, Ultegra 6700 wheels, several Mavic wheels, Cane Creek, Bontrager wheels.

Bike Setup:   2015 Wilier Cento 1 SR, SRAM Force and Red combo, Ritchey stem, mast topper, FSA SLK Light carbon crank and K-wing carvbon bars, Shimano Ultegra carbon pedals, Prologo Scratch Pro saddle, Lizard skin tape.

Submitted by Mac

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2014

Strengths:    Light, durable, flexible with 23,25,28 tyres

Weaknesses:    Not aero but again, i wasn't looking for aero wheels

Bottom Line:
I've put on 700 miles on mine and they are superlight, durable wheels. I got 28 spoke count and weigh 180lb so far not a single problem.

Submitted by TheRick109 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    Roll nice and stay true

Weaknesses:    Not as durable as I thought they would be.

Bottom Line:
I have over 3000 miles on the wheels, which means it is time for a review. They Boyd Vitesse wheels roll very nice and have stayed true, I weigh 190 lbs and opted for the higher spoke count wheelset. The skewers are really cheap. Mine broke after about 2 weeks, which was a good thing since once I replaced them with good skewers the wheels stopped noticibley smoother. After about 1500 miles I had to replace the bearings in the freehub, not a big deal but I expected a lot more life than that. I have the 2012 models and the rear hub make a nice "ping" noise on just about every ride. I can live with it though and overall view these as decent training wheels. Boyd's customer service and email responses are great as everyone else mentions. I think in a few years and a little more R&D you will see his wheels on a lot of bikes.

Purchased At:   Boyd Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404, Mavic Ksyrium SSL

Bike Setup:   Look 585 with SRAM Red, Serotta with SRAM Red

Submitted by KJ

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    light, speed up quickly, durable, great training wheel set

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have ridden these wheels about 2k miles. They are very durable, speed up nicely and descend super. They also corner as well as the geometry of your bike will allow. I have only had my lbs true them once. I have hit pot holes, ridden through mud, dirt, and sand. I have ridden them in rain storms and I have even raced with them. They are my daily wheel set and my wheels for training rides with my team. I have no problem staying up with guys who have 50mm deep carbon clinchers. The bearing still roll great. They are a great wheelset and I would buy them again and again (if they ever wear out).

Submitted by Shorts McFadden a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light and stiff, they climb well and accelerate fast! True out of the box and still true today. Laser etched graphics - not decals.

Actual weight for 20f/24r was 1490 w/o rim strips vs 1478 advertised - pretty darn close!

Weaknesses:    Only weakness I can think of is the laser etched graphics are not really "white," more of an off white/silver color.

Bottom Line:
These are some GREAT wheels!

Light and stiff, they climb well and accelerate fast. The best part for me is descending though. These wheels corner like your bike is on rails! No shuddering or play, I feel glued to the road. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

Purchased At:   www.boydcycling.com