Boyd Cycling Vitesse Alloy wheelsets - clincher

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

The latest offering for the Vitesse alloy clincher wheelset comes in the form of a new rim. This rim is 23mm wide, 28mm deep. The increase width of the rim helps to create a better tire to rim interface. The tire doesn't have to deflect back into the rim as much (think lightbulb shape). This better tire shape will help with better handling for those days when you want to fly down a twisty mountain or race these in a technical crit. With matching the tire width to the rim width the airflow over the tire onto the rim is much smoother giving a more aerodynamic wheelset, even though this rim is not as deep as our previous Vitesse it will be more aerodynamic. With the better mating to the rim, you can run tires at lower PSI for a less harsh ride along rough asphalt. If you are going for a long epic ride you can better run 25mm tires for a smoother ride that is easier on your body. The wider rim will also translate into a stiffer rim, we do want all our wheels to be as stiff as possible and this rim will further help. For cyclocross applications this will be an ideal wheelset for riders not wanting to run tubular tires. The logos on this new rim are laser etched. This slightly helps to save weight and will make the rim very easy to keep clean. You can now wipe off all the dirt without worrying about any of the decals lifting up. 660 grams front / 818 grams rear (20/24 spoke option). 682 grams front / 840 grams rear (24/28 spoke option).

Submitted by Mac

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2014

Strengths:    Light, durable, flexible with 23,25,28 tyres

Weaknesses:    Not aero but again, i wasn't looking for aero wheels

Bottom Line:
I've put on 700 miles on mine and they are superlight, durable wheels. I got 28 spoke count and weigh 180lb so far not a single problem.

Submitted by TheRick109 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    Roll nice and stay true

Weaknesses:    Not as durable as I thought they would be.

Bottom Line:
I have over 3000 miles on the wheels, which means it is time for a review. They Boyd Vitesse wheels roll very nice and have stayed true, I weigh 190 lbs and opted for the higher spoke count wheelset. The skewers are really cheap. Mine broke after about 2 weeks, which was a good thing since once I replaced them with good skewers the wheels stopped noticibley smoother. After about 1500 miles I had to replace the bearings in the freehub, not a big deal but I expected a lot more life than that. I have the 2012 models and the rear hub make a nice "ping" noise on just about every ride. I can live with it though and overall view these as decent training wheels. Boyd's customer service and email responses are great as everyone else mentions. I think in a few years and a little more R&D you will see his wheels on a lot of bikes.

Purchased At:   Boyd Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404, Mavic Ksyrium SSL

Bike Setup:   Look 585 with SRAM Red, Serotta with SRAM Red

Submitted by KJ

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    light, speed up quickly, durable, great training wheel set

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have ridden these wheels about 2k miles. They are very durable, speed up nicely and descend super. They also corner as well as the geometry of your bike will allow. I have only had my lbs true them once. I have hit pot holes, ridden through mud, dirt, and sand. I have ridden them in rain storms and I have even raced with them. They are my daily wheel set and my wheels for training rides with my team. I have no problem staying up with guys who have 50mm deep carbon clinchers. The bearing still roll great. They are a great wheelset and I would buy them again and again (if they ever wear out).

Submitted by Shorts McFadden a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light and stiff, they climb well and accelerate fast! True out of the box and still true today. Laser etched graphics - not decals.

Actual weight for 20f/24r was 1490 w/o rim strips vs 1478 advertised - pretty darn close!

Weaknesses:    Only weakness I can think of is the laser etched graphics are not really "white," more of an off white/silver color.

Bottom Line:
These are some GREAT wheels!

Light and stiff, they climb well and accelerate fast. The best part for me is descending though. These wheels corner like your bike is on rails! No shuddering or play, I feel glued to the road. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

Purchased At:   www.boydcycling.com

Submitted by Bosock a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff, rolls well, the new style with etched graphics look nice, price to performance ratio.

Weaknesses:    None really...

Bottom Line:
I bought right as they started the pre-sale for the new Vitesse wheels in February 2012 and received in March 2012. It took a month for me to get the wheels which I thought was relatively timely but they thought was a slight delay due to the huge demand caused for the pre-sale. Both Boyd and Nicole were great to work with...Boyd a wealth of knowledge in answering several of my questions to ensure I purchased the right wheel and Nicole in keeping me up-to-date and informed about the status of my purchase. Now to get to the information you want to know about the wheel set...they are OUTSTANDING. Over the 6 months I have had the wheels I've rode in Fondo's/Centuries, up and over some steep mountain passes, and over some rough country back roads and the wheel set is still true, rolling great, and with zero problems encountered. I placed the wheels on a S-Works SL3 2012 Roubaix and immediately felt improvement in the bikes handling on descents and the loss of sluggishness getting her to speed I experienced with the other wheels. I had placed temporary wheels (DT Swiss 3.0 and Fulcrums...really did not like the DT's) on the bike while deciding which wheel set to go with (Boyd or Soul) and up till when the Vitesse's arrived. I do not know about the Soul wheels as I have not ridden them, but I couldn't be happier with the Boyd's. Prior to placing these wheels on my Roubaix I was concerned as the bike seemed very wobbly with sluggish handling on speedy mountain descents and not very efficient on climbs. This concern immediately went away once i placed the Vitesse's on the Roubaix as the wheels stiffness, lightweight, and solid transfer of torque has really improved my descending and climbing capabilities allowing me to tackle some outstanding climbs through various mountain passes in the Rocky Mountain region and truly appreciate what a great frame I have with the SL3 Roubaix. The wheel set has also helped me enjoy and improve my times in various centuries and Gran Fondo's. I have read all the forum banter about how a wheel set is the most noticeable upgrade you can do for your bike...my experience with this wheel set has shown me their is definitely truth to this as this wheel set has made a world of difference for me...i truly can say i am descending down mountain passes at much higher speeds due to the confidence these wheels have inspired due to the improved handling of my bike...thanks Boyd and Nicole...outstanding value, great product, and pleasure to get to know and work with such professional and knowledgeable people.

Favorite Ride:   Climbing