Campagnolo Chorus/Mavic Open Pro wheelsets - clincher

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Don Keenan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to build. Very reliable. Good riding characteristics on a variety of surfaces...even washboard. And Light weight in the rims where you don't want the mass. Easy to rebuild or repair.

Weaknesses:    Lack of tech appeal. Other???

Bottom Line:
I am a heavy rider (230lbs) and ride between 2000 and 3000 miles per year. I think the combination of the Campagnolo hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims with 3X lacing are a great combination for strength and comfortable riding. I build my own wheels and they are easy to true and keep their shape over a variety of riding surfaces. Also, If you weigh them they aren't very different from the "wheel systems" that preport to be so light. Fewer spokes require heavier rims to keep their shape and higher tension makes for a harsher ride...no matter what the marketing types say.

Favorite Ride:   Dean "el Diente" cti

Purchased At:   DeanBikes

Similar Products Used:   Record hubs / Mavic OpenPro

Bike Setup:   Ti/Carbon frame, Carbon fork, Campy Chorus 10spd gruppo, and Chorus/Mavic/DT Swiss spokes.

Submitted by Allen Morris a Recreational Rider from Fort Bragg, California, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to maintain. Not Aero.

Weaknesses:    Not real light Not Aero.

Bottom Line:
I love the chorus hubs. Being able to adjust them on the bike makes life very easy. The open pro rims are stong and give good braking preformance. I must say that I like the normalness of these tires over fancier factory built wheels. I could have bought the parts and built these wheels myself. And when the rims wear out I plan to get some new rims and rebuild the wheels on these hubs. I have broken

Purchased At:   http://www.branfordb

Similar Products Used:   Same hub and rim from performance $299 with straight 15 guage spokes.

Bike Setup:   2000 Bianchi Eros with Daytone drivetrain.

Submitted by Keith a Recreational Rider from Central Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Quality, ease of service and repairability, comfort and performance.

Weaknesses:    Probably not light or areo enough for racers, although performance certainly meets or exceeds needs of even a competative recreational rider.

Bottom Line:
I specified these wheels wioth my new Zeppelin last year. Chorus hubs are absolutely perfect and beautifully finished. Bearing adjustment is extremely simple, though it's been unnecessary so far. The wheels are Wheelsmith-built, and came true, and they've remain true after about 2000 miles that have included some pretty rough roads. Maybe I'm a rbit of a retro-grouch, but I chose these over high-zoot, low spoke count wheels because I can repair and rebuild these myself with regular spokes from the lbs. These wheels are also respectably light, and more comfortable than aero wheels.

Favorite Ride:   century+, hills

Purchased At:   Airborne

Similar Products Used:   Lots of Campy NR hubs,and Mavic hubs, laced to Mavic & other rims/Spinergy SR-3s.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Zep. w/ Campy Chorus 10-speed.