Campagnolo Khamsin wheelsets - clincher

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Campagnolo 2011 Khamsin Rear Wheel

Submitted by Bligo Bingo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Wheels seem stiffer than my old version. I haven't put many miles on them yet but they seem bullet proof. In contrast with the pre-2011 model, the freewheel is quiet. It is even quieter than my old Chorus hubs. Oh yeah, they were super cheap for the quality.

Weaknesses:    None. But I haven't owned them long.

Bottom Line:
This review for CX version, but it is identical to this version except the seals more resistant to water and grit. I mostly want to alert others on how the quiet freehubs on the new version.

These wheels are a dramatic improvement over my old wheels described below. I am riding in a higher gear (gear-inches) cogs. For example, if I was in the 8th cog on a hill, I am now in the 7th cog. Perhaps it is placebo effect, I don't know, but I like it.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Marin County

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles.

Similar Products Used:   These are replacing on traditions Campy wheels with Mavic Rim(rear) /Ambrosia(front) because of cracked freehub that cannot replaced (no longer made by Campy). This is my first factory wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Aluminum frame/carbon forks (2000 Marin Bike). Triple crank with Campy Veloce group set.

Submitted by Ryan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, Stability, Stength, stiffness and ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Breaking, The breaking surfaces have a bunch of flex. I haven't tried changin pads though. Stickers are low quality.

Bottom Line:
Coming from box section wheels I was expecting a harsh ride and problems in cross winds. These wheels are far more stable in every way. For the cheapest campy hubbed wheelset I could find these far exceeds my expectations. At 230lbs I am hard on rear wheels but the hubs are still smooth, wheels are true and spoke tension is dead on. They look Awesome.

Favorite Ride:   Purdue MT.

Purchased At:   Total Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Ambrosio Evolutions

Bike Setup:   Marin San Marino Campy Mix

Submitted by giiviak a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Strong rims (for 52kg rider, they dont noticably flex under me when I 'hammer' it).

When new, these rolled better than my previous cheaper no-names.

Great wear life of braking surface.

Good value for training wheels.

Weaknesses:    None for a 52kg road cycle enthusiast who is not interested in racing.

Bottom Line:
I'm 52kg, had these rims for about 11months and have done 10000km on them in dry and wet weather.

These rims havent gone out of true since I I've had them. I've gone over potholes, hit a pipe on the road that gave me a rear pinch flat and they are still true. Ridden in torrential rain, the hubs are well sealed and the rims still have plenty of life in them (probably another 6-8000km!).

Both hubs have become tight and are not smooth to twist with your finger off the bike after 10,000km - however when rolling on the bike you really cant tell the difference. Theres no play in the bearings whatsoever after 10000km too but this may be due to them being tight.

If u're after something for racing look elsewhere but for training these are a fine choice.

Similar Products Used:   Not so good wheels on a stock Giant OCR2 '04/'05 model.

Bike Setup:   07 stock Bianchi 1885 w/Centaur. Tyres used are Continental Grand Prix.

Submitted by HolLo, Hungary, Europe a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    - Bombproof.
- Costs the same as a pair of centaur hubs.
- Rim profile enables allround use.
- Traditional spokes - easy truing or replacement (if it will be necessary).
- Stiffness, cornering
- Braking performance

Weaknesses:    - Bearings seem to limit the life expectancy.
- Freewheel noise (it isn't friction however!).
- Skewers

Bottom Line:
First of all, I love this set. I am using it on rough roads, 140 lbs, not racing but they 're on heavy duty - we have too many potholes to avoid... Reliable braking (NoName double pivot calipers) and cornering. Lateral rigidity is also great. I like the G3 pattern at the rear, but don't really understand, why is it "necessary" at the front wheel. G3 behind means that neither of the spokes rubs another! Bearings are smooth, but they aren't serviceable. Freewheel is noisy indeed. Skewers are very simple. Rim profile seems ideal for a basic allround wheel. Weight is not a real issue in my case.
Next upgrade should be at least Neutron or Eurus. I haven't been a campagnolo-fan, but now I 'm considering...

Bike Setup:   mix

Submitted by Marcos_E a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2008

Strengths:    + Reliable: These wheels are pretty strong and hold true quite well, not to mention roll smoothly.
+ Appearance: They're sexy, no way around it!
+ Cost: Super affordable!

Weaknesses:    - Weight: These things are a bit heavy to be full fledged race wheels, they weigh in at a bit over 1800 grams.

- Freewheel: Just echoing the other reviews here, the freewheel is louder than the voice of God it seems!

Bottom Line:
These are excellent training wheels overall.

I bought them initally planning to use them as race wheels, but my coach and grandmother had other plans. IE: better wheels.

I'm holding onto them as a back-up wheelset and am glad for it.

They're great overall wheelsets.

Favorite Ride:   Bellevue-Hailey Broadford Road

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   '06 Kona Zing Supreme
'06 Campy Centaur
Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC

Help me find a Campagnolo Khamsin cassette body for Shimano?

It seems that Campy does sell Shimano format bodies for the Khamsin's... I'm just saving a hard time locating the part... thanksRead More »

Khamsin cassette body for Shimano?

Can someone help me find this? Having a hard time locating the part... thanksRead More »

Khamsin Bearing and axle removal

My Front Khamsin has developed a problem: The front wheel when I lock the qr skewer 'locks'. Wheel isnt touching anything. Take the wheel off and spins nicely in my hand.However when I put a bit of pressure on the caps over the bearings I can start to feel resisitance. Now the wheels are about a ... Read More »

Campagnolo Khamsin wheelset, 3000 miles in 6 months review.

Training, racing, exploring gravel roads, taking some very tough hits from bumps and potholes etc, with a rider who weighs 185 on a good day but most days I'm 190 ish. They are still straight and true. Haven't touched them other than occasional cleaning and quick visual inspection. Have rac ... Read More »

bent a spoke on my brand new Khamsin today.

Out on a fast group ride, a moment of inattention, ran into my clubmate's r-der. Managed to swerve away and we both stopped safely. His hanger was a bit bent, quickly straightened. One of my front spokes is bent and the wheel has a wobble now. Dang. Brand new. 5th ride on that wheel. Oh well, a ... Read More »