Campagnolo Neutron wheelsets - clincher

4.61/5 (23 Reviews)

• Low profile welded rims with a machined braking surface for the smoothest possible braking
  • Front rim is symmetrical and lighter while the rear rim is stouter and asymmetrical for improved lateral rigidity
  • Hubs have adjustable 15-ball precision bearings
  • Includes Campagnolo double-pivot/arm QR skewers, 12t cassette lockring, and wheel bags
  • 1550g set: 660g-front / 890g-rear

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Bruno

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Very strong. Great for climbing.

Bottom Line:
    I just had to replace my neutron wheelset ...after 6 years. I had the rims trued once during that time. I ride Ultra and Rando and the road conditions can be dicey at times. They are the only wheels I have. I weigh over 200 lbs.

Submitted by MeinGewehr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    Light, low rotational weight - fast spin up, smooth and quiet, very low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Spoke placement will make truing a challenge - academic at this point as I have not had to.

Bottom Line:
    Looked at Zipps, Reynolds, Mavics etc etc. Chose these due to the general reviews of light weight as good climbing wheels, low maintenance needs.
    The low rotational weight, bladed spokes and slim profile make them good all-round condition wheels.
    Paired them with Vittoria Open Corsas and light weight tubes so they ride very nicely and comfortably while being easy to accelerate.
    I weigh 150 lbs, only have slightly over 1K miles on them, so they are relatively new and I cannot speak to real longevity.

Favorite Ride:   Anything pointing upward.

Purchased At:   Bike shop I work at

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404s, Mavic Heliums, Rolf ??, handbuilt Campy Mockba(Moscow) rims on Record hubs(32s).

Bike Setup:   Early 90s ALAN r/30 Alu Ls - full Campy Chorus 11.

Submitted by Wyatt963 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Trouble free, durable, and stable at high speeds.

Weaknesses:    I really don't know of any at this time.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels used on ebay, so who knows how many original miles were already on them, but they were clean, and true.
    I have since put over 12,000 miles on them, and have ridden them over some pretty bad stretches of road, and they are still true.
    Every 6,000 miles I have broken the hubs down, cleaned, and regreased the bearings, with Phil Woods green grease. These wheels have been bomb proof and trouble free for me. I have hit speeds of 50 mph coming down Hwy 74, and they track and corner like they on are rails.
    I can detect no signs of them wearing out yet.
    There might be lighter wheels out there, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a more trouble free, and durable set.

Favorite Ride:   Hwy 74 to Pinyan Crest campground

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Cadd 3 Saeco frame, with Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed.

Submitted by locopsu a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Roll for ever.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    Bought these based on reviews here for my new Colnago Master Frame. Wanted Mavic's but got the Campy based on reviews here. Am just under 100 kg (215 lb) and pretty much destroy wheels. In six months they are still true and roll great. Rode them up Alp Du Huez last summer and some climbing in the region. Roll fantastic

Favorite Ride:   Warm Sunny Day

Purchased At:   Bike24.de

Similar Products Used:   Campy Chorus Hubs with various Mavic rims

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master, Campy Athena 11 Speed with Carbon crank, Neutron Black Wheels, Deda bars and stem.

Submitted by Damien a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, light, stiff, roll forever and ever and ever and ever.

Weaknesses:    See above..

Bottom Line:
    Hmm,I loved these wheels until 2 days ago. I'm a relatively heavy guy, about 93 kg, and get involved in some sprints and club racing. Anyhow, the time came to get the wheels trued (spokes tensioned - they were straig as) and the LBS rang to tell me that the spoke nipples could not be moved, they had corroded such that they had effectively fused. They said that this is a relatively common issue with internal nipples, combine that with the fact that the spokes are stainliess, nipples are brass and rims are alloy and you get some interesting chemical reactions. The fact that I live across the road from the beach hasn't helped.

Anyhow, I was informed that it would cost AUD500 to re-spoke the wheels (AUD400 for the spokes COST) so I'm gonna get new ones, probably Neutrons again, but will endeavour to maintain them better. The LBS said that Mavics are very susceptible to this problem...

Favorite Ride:   Adelaide to Hahndorf or Sprinbrook

Purchased At:   Total Cycling

Bike Setup:   Bianchi via Nirone C2C, Chorus/Centaur

Converting Neutron/Shimano to Campy?

Am I correct to assume all I need is the Campy compatible freehub body (shell) alone, without springs/pawls?Read More »

Where to order Neutron spoke tool?

My search foo sucks, leads please?Read More »

Rims For Neutron Hubs

Has anyone had any experience of having a non stock rim laced to a pair of Neutron hubs and if so which rim and where from? Thanks....Read More »

Neutron Ultra wheels and tire mounting

So I recently bought these and love the way the roll and handle. Really a great wheel-set. Got my first flat yesterday and man did I have a tough time getting the tire back on the wheel. Is it just me or our these wheels a little challenging. When I mounted up the GP4000s tires originally I had to u ... Read More »

Khamsin v Neutron

My current bike has 2003 Neutrons. I love 'em. Many happy miles of racing and training, they are near-bulletproof, not super-light but light enough. I'm looking at a new build, trying to save a few bucks, and noticed that Khamsin's are value-priced. Are they boat anchors? Prone to breakage ... Read More »