Campagnolo Nucleon Clincher wheelsets - clincher

4.46/5 (41 Reviews)

The nucleon wheelset features incredible light weight coupled with excellent lateral rigidity for top racing performance when the terrain gets steep. Features include: HPW hubs with lubrication port, titanium pawl carrier aero lacing and lightweight aero spokes. Record skewers included. 22 spokes

Submitted by Peter Smith

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Light and lively to ride.

Weaknesses:    A crack has appeared in the front wheel outer hub casing running from the flange, at its widest,towards the centre; the loosening of the the spokes around the hub resulting in the wheel buckling.

Bottom Line:
The damaged wheel is on a Pinarello Opera, about 10 years old. and was in constant use up to 4 years ago. I have 2 other bikes with the Neutron version fitted and have always been very, very pleased with their performance. I chose Campag groupsets and wheels for all 3 bikes after a visit to the factory, and being impressed by the precision engineering used in all their products. I suspect mine were among the earliest examples produced. Now I find it a little disconcerting to think that my other wheels may go the same way. the bike had been stored for 4 years prior to January 2012. Although I am a UK resident, the wheel is used in Florida, where I would look to find a replacement. Has anyone had a similar experience, or can offer an explanation/advice?

Submitted by Michael Hendricks a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff wheels, great hubs, light but strong.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Bought these wheels brand new over a year ago. I was looking for a good set of wheels that we're designed for climbing but wuth enough strength to hold this 190 lb. I needed a good spoke count as well because I never trust anyhing less than 24. For the money, I think they are the best around.

Favorite Ride:   2006 Orbea Orca

Purchased At:   private owner

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   2006 Orbea Orca 9-speed Campy

Submitted by foxjb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Tough, good looking,and not expensive to buy used.

Weaknesses:    Most people comment that they are "old school."

Bottom Line:
These are outstanding training wheels. When the going gets tough these wheels will not leave you stranded. But they are also reasonably light. Overall a very good all around wheel.

Favorite Ride:   Blue Ridge Parkway

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Real Design, Shimano, etc.

Bike Setup:   2007 Scott Addict, Campy Record, Stronglight, TTT, Zero Gravity-Ti and Real Design Ultrasphere wheels for more serious riding.

Submitted by Christian Pologna a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Rigidità e leggerezza.

Weaknesses:    Peccato non poterli sfruttare al meglio con un gruppo SHIMANO. Io non sono un estimatore della CAMPAGNOLO in tal senso. Le coperture Continental (3000 gran prix) sono molto ostiche da montare. Meglio optare per le Michelin AXIAL PRO

Bottom Line:
Dal momento in cui ho montato queste ruote sulla mia battaglin non ho smesso di sorprendermi. Dopo migliaia di KM percorsi su ogni tipo di terreno ed in ogni situazione (4 stagioni), oggi, a 7 anni dall'acquisto non ho ancora riscontrato il minimo cedimento, non un raggio rotto, non una scalfitura...sono qualcosa di fantastico. L'unico dilemma è legato dal fatto che monto un gruppo SHIMANO DURA ACE che ho dovuto rendere compatibile alla ruota CAMPAGNOLO con pignoni MARCHISIO. Alla lunga ne risento con la precisione di cambio ma per questo è sufficiente una piccola ricalibratura e poi per altri 3mila Km il problema non si pone +.

Favorite Ride:   http://www.salitomania.it/arosio_ita.htm

Purchased At:   UGS (www.ugd.ch) 199

Similar Products Used:   Nessuno

Bike Setup:   Battaglin POWER (originale di Claudio Chiappucci stagione 1998 con la REFIN). Telaio COLUMBUS ALTEC2. Gruppo SHIMANO DURA ACE 9V. Forcella in Full Carbon EASTON SLX EC90. Manubrio 3T PRIMA 199.

Submitted by billyboy6751 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    Light and very strong

Weaknesses:    Continental Grand Prix's, which I favor, are incredibly hard to mount. Some other tires are easier to get on.

Bottom Line:
I bought these Nucleons the first year they came out--about 7 years ago. Switched them to my Serotta 5 years ago. I ride them in fast 20 mile evening club rides, long 80 mile weekend rides, over 12,000 foot passes in Colorado every year. I ride them in the summer and in winter on all kinds of pavement. I have at least 30,000 miles on them and they are perfect--like the day I bought them. No broken spokes, never been trued, have only replaced hub bearings twice and the last time I don't think they even needed replacing. I can't imagine any wheel being any better than these.

Favorite Ride:   Kansas City to Lawrence KS