Campagnolo Shamal Clincher wheelsets - clincher

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Clincher Wheelset: Features USB (Ultra Smooth Bearings) ceramic bearings that ensure very low friction and enhanced performance. 24.5mm front and 28mm rear rims are extruded, CNC'd and then dynamically balanced...

Submitted by Bad Juju a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    Ate up full carbon roadies on the downhills...Lotsa bling.

Weaknesses:    Dont try to test the weight capacity

Bottom Line:
I work as a messenger...would not recommend these wheels for this purpose...for intense rides on the weekend, these wheels are sufficient. I recently broke three spokes on the rear wheel trying to complete my first century (probably the stress from work I weigh probably 220 during work hours, 195 off.). I'm looking forward to rolling them again, when the mechanics come through on the repairs.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Rada, carbon accents

Submitted by lverma a Triathlete from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    Noticibly faster all around. Great looks

Weaknesses:    Tad hard to accelerate, slight harsher ride.

Bottom Line:
These wheels make a superb training/racing set. They definitely are on the heavy side and are noticibly harder to accelerate but once up to speed they hold thier momentum well. I dont see that big a penatly in climbing. They also do transmit more road shock than my velocity areohead rims and spinergies.

Favorite Ride:   Alp d'Huez

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Aerohead rims on Hugi Hubs.
Spinergy Rev-X. Mavic Open Pro.

Bike Setup:   Principia t28

Submitted by pastashop a Recreational Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Strengths:    The wheels seem to be very smooth in general and really excel at speeds > 20mph on smooth rooads - you really get into the quietness and responsiveness of the ride. "Like butter". :-)

Weaknesses:    The wheelset is almost 2kg, which is about 200-400g heavier than a similarly priced box-section wheelset would be. But in most situations, the aerodynamic benefit outweighs (!) the weight penalty.

Bottom Line:
Very smooth and sturdy. Great cornering.

I bought the wheels used. 12-spoke front Shamal, 16-spoke rear Vento. Michelin Super Comp smooth tires (I much prefer smooth tires to tread...you've to try to see the difference!)

Going downhill seems to be faster. I am 145lb, bike is 23. My riding buddy is 185lb, similar steel bike, and he would always outcoast me on the downhills. With these wheels, seems I can pretty much keep up - less drag.

On the flats, they're a joy. True and round, unperturbed by potholes or bumps - the extra aluminum in the rim and the rotating inertia help keep them extra stable.

In all honesty, they don't weight much more than my 32-spoked box-section wheelset did. They do feel great on the road though, and I don't really notice much difference on the hills. The rest of my bike is heavy enough (~23 lbs) that the extra stability from the wheels is very reassuring.

I've also been using them daily in rain or shine and even snow to commute - and train - and will probably race in the coming season - still true and round (cross your fingers).

Favorite Ride:   Princeton/Lambertville/Frenchtown

Purchased At:   used online

Similar Products Used:   Box-section Campy & Mavic rims with 32 and 36 spokes, both tubular and clincher.

Bike Setup:   Koga-Miyata Prologue
3-ple butted steel
Shamals, conventional stuff...
smooth, very sturdy, corne

Submitted by Lou D'Amelio a Recreational Rider from Belle Mead NJ USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Strengths:    Excel on flatsat 20 plus mph, descending. Hold momentum well. Appear durable for everyday use although i've only had them for 3 months.

Weaknesses:    Weight over light conventional wheels (Chorus/Open Pro/ DT DB)about 200 grams extra - noticable when accelerating or climbing. Front wheel came with hub maladjusted and needed truing also). Finding parts difficult

Bottom Line:
I bought these from a UK mailorder company at a good discount ($500 for set). Were perfect out of box but hub loose on my second ride on them. Had I purchased locally, would have been no big deal to return to LBS. I screwed up the hub adjustment (long story),and broke the front axle. It was a mess to find a replacement. front wheel also came out of true after several more rides. Although different than a conventional wheelset, they're actually very easy to true - the 'special tool' mentioned by others is just a 5 mm nutdriver which you can buy at Sears for $5.00.
I have about 500 miles on them since sorting things out. They roll very well at high speeds on the flats and maintain their momentum very well as one would expect from the design. They anecdotally (please, no flames containing equations from the engineering types) add about 2 mph to my descending speeds. Not horrible to climb on them, but the extra weight is noticeable. They also accelerate a bit slowly, also presumably because of the weight.To use the Bicycling magazine format, buy them if:

You are a time trialist and Campyphile
You do a lot of flat rides
You are an A club rider or better

Don't buy them if you ride on rolling/hilly terrain, you are a weight freak, etc.

Lou D'Amelio

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   totalcycling.com

Similar Products Used:   'conventional' wheels only

Bike Setup:   2001 Tuscany, Chorus/record mix

Submitted by Tom a Recreational Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Fast. Looks great. The product I have is the Shamal 12-spoke clincher version.

Weaknesses:    Speciality wheel ... hidden nipples, special spokes. But it is really a time-trial wheelset so this is not a real problem. A bit heavy for mountain TT (hi profile Al rim).

Bottom Line:
I would only use Shamal for TT events only and over moderate hilly terrain. It is fast - I have come across many test results (drag) and Shamal has always been among the top performers. I am not too confident riding 12-spoke ... even 16-spoke wheels on everyday training, considering the trouble to get the wheel fixed. Having used the wheel in half a dozen 40-Km TT events each year for three/four years, the wheel stayed true.

Who should buy it ... anyone considering buying a TT wheelset. There are other excellent TT wheelsets out there in the market, so do some research.

Who shouldn/t buy it ... anyone considering buying an aero wheelset for everyday training. Get something more serviceable.

Favorite Ride:   Gatineau, Rockies