Campagnolo Shamal Ultra 2-Way Fit wheelsets - clincher

• Store Price

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Clincher Wheelset: Features USB (Ultra Smooth Bearings) ceramic bearings that ensure very low friction and enhanced performance. 24.5mm front and 28mm rear rims are extruded, CNC'd and then dynamically balanced...

Submitted by Nivo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    Super fast and very smooth

Weaknesses:    A little pricey

Bottom Line:
I'm a novice rider who's getting hooked into cycling pretty quick now for the past two years. I'm running a custom carbon frame with Chorus 11 and Shamal Ultra 2 way fit wheels. These wheels are amazing and feel very stable at speed and smooth.

I'm a big boy pushing 245 lbs and I haven't had a single issue in the 6 months I've been riding on these wheels. I cheaped out with my 1st pair and bought Kamsin's which were fine, but these are simply amazing and I'm glad I did the upgrade.

I really have nothing negative to say, I'm riding on Vittoria Open Corsa tires and will try out the tubeless tires once it's time for a change.

Favorite Ride:   All over Vancouver

Bike Setup:   Guru Evolo
Campy Chorus 11
Shamal Ultra 2-way fit

Submitted by pasta-lumbago

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, light, subdued decals, fairly true, smooth spin

Weaknesses:    Campy support, difficult to work on spokes & truing

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the Campy Shamal clinchers, not the 2-way. Out of the box, very light and smooth spinning. After 279 miles, the rear wheel was spinning very roughly. Called Campy USA and was advised to clean out the bearings and re-lube and re-install, re-assemble the rear hub (easy to do, but I knew it wouldn't help), and it didn't help. UPS'd back to the store I bought it from, they sent it to Campy and guess what? The guy who would be working on it has gone to Italy for a week (for Campy training), so the wheel has been off my bike for 2 weeks and won't be touched until he gets back. So it's anyone's guess when it'll be returned to me. Can't give a good value or overall rating because 279 miles is hardly enough time to know, especially when there's been a hub failure during that time! (BTW, front wheel seems fine.) So I have to give a low rating because I spent $1100 on a wheelset that I can't use for who knows how long. Glad there's a warranty. Disappointed that Campy is excessively slow to honor it. Very disappointed. They only have one guy in the US who can work on a warranty issue? I thought their market share was bigger than that, apparently not. If there's any way I can get a refund on this wheelset, I'm likely to pursue it. It may end up being a great wheelset, but the service after the sale is a real deal-killer. Hope you're listening, Campy. If they come through on this problem and I end up using and liking the wheelset, I'll re-review it. Otherwise, it's been a poor decision for me (2 other guys I ride with have this wheelset, the 2-way version, have no problems and like 'em.)

Submitted by Yerma a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    This review is for the standard 2012 Shamal Ultras not the 2 way fit. I was looking to replace my Ksyrium Sl's and was able to test ride a few high end wheels sets. I wanted competition wheels and I did not want carbon rims. I feel the trade offs are just too great with carbon. I chose the Shamals for quickness of acceleration, handling and climbing departments. They "feel" fast, by this I mean when you give it full gas they respond in turn, at speed they are stable and in corners you feel the lateral stiffness. The ceramic bearings (not cartridge thank goodness) spin forever. The Ti cassette carrier doesn't get dented like alloy. I'm not a feather weight rider (180lbs) and the mountainous roads where I live have lots of holes and rough pavement. I'm running these with Vittoria 25mm Open Pave's and the wheels have stayed true. The finish is much better than the Ksyriums or Renyolds I tried and I like the dark label, stealthy Ninja look.

Weaknesses:    Any wheel that uses proprietary spokes/rim can be a problem with repair or spoke replacement. The Shamals appear to be over built and very tough wheels, especially at the weight of 1420 grams. Again compared to the Ksyrium SL's they are much more robust and... lighter weight! Compared to a traditional box section rim these are stiffer and a bit harsher. Compared to other shallow profile contemporary wheels I've ridden they feel similar.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a robust and lightweight set of competition wheels, don't want to change brake pads and worry if its going to rain during your race, get a set of these. I've been riding and racing for 26 years and these are the best all around wheels I've ridden. You can find these on Flea-Bay for $1200 and IMO they are worth every penny.