Campagnolo Zonda wheelsets - clincher

4.48/5 (31 Reviews)

Campagnolo Zonda Roadwheels (Silver). The Zonda? wheels have been restyled and weigh just 1,610* g, a full 100 g less than in the previous version. Campagnolo? is this year introducing the concept of a differential profile for the Zonda? and Eurus? mod

Submitted by MercRidnMike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Light and robust for the price, slight nod to aero, Campy build quality, spin up well and spin smoothly, price, spoke pattern (if you like it)

Weaknesses:    Not super flashy or sexy, spoke pattern may not be to everyone's liking, replacement parts can be expensive

Bottom Line:
I purchased a set of 2013 Zondas (regular, not two-way fit) in the spring as an upgrade from the stock Fulcrum Racing T set that came on my 2012 Cervelo S2. Out of the box they were very well trued, quite light (weighed out to 1557g, which is pretty close to their 1550g claimed weight) and striking with the lacing pattern on the rear wheel. For an inexpensive wheel set, the build quality was simply amazing.

I'm a solid clyde class rider (I was actually slightly over the Campy recommended limit when I got them, but have since dropped a lot of weight), so I was hoping for the best with these. So far, I I have put a good number of km's under the wheels and they have remained true, in spite of my bulk and the horrible roads where I live. They were a noticeable upgrade from the stock wheels...the bike felt faster and changed lines a little easier (I also changed tires from Gatorskins to GP400s, so the entire wheelset lost a lot of weight...lion's share was in the wheels, so I'll credit them).

They are not an aero wheelset, but they do have a differential depth (the rear is a few mm deeper than the front) and bladed spokes...enough to make a difference? I doubt it...but they look nice and the color scheme matches my bike ;) If you're after pure aero performance, dig out the wallet and look elsewhere...these aren't your wheels. As a climbing set, though, they do seem to do quite well...even after a couple days in the saddle for a multi-day charity ride.

Campy wheels don't often get much press and they certainly aren't the most flashy wheels out there, but Campagnolo builds their wheels with the same commitment that they apply to all their products: you make a quality product that works well and is dependable or the Campy name doesn't go on it. That commitment shows. Sure, Aksiums and Shimano wheels in the same price bracket may have more flash, but I don't think you get the same quality in a machine built, mass produced wheel as you do in a quality hand built set.

Okay, they have a downside: they can be more expensive to fix (parts are a bit more and not as often "on hand" at the LBS), but the bearings are serviceable (loose bearings....just like Shimano) and the quality is there so the likelihood of needing to do repairs is lower. Of course, those who are gear snobs might not want to have Campy wheels with their SRAM or Shimano groups...but the stickers do come off, so don't let the name on the rim deter you.

If you are in the market for a lighter set of wheels for an upgrade that won't break the bank, but want something quality that can take some abuse too, these are well worth the look. They may not be super flashy, overly aero or gimmicky, but they work very well.

Favorite Ride:   Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer (Alberta)

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Racing T's, hand built set on Hope Pro III hubs and Mavic hoops

Bike Setup:   2012 Cervelo S2 that is still mostly stock other than wheels and contact points (bars, stem, pedals and saddle).

Submitted by Pedal Pusha a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Hubs are smooth as silk and freewheel forever
Awesome looks with the G3 spoke pattern matt black finishing
Great value for money equation and no reliability issues after 4,850 kms

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses to report so far

Bottom Line:
After researching the 3 major wheels at this price-point - Fulcrum Racing 3, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and the Zondas, I opted for the Zondas. I heard there is not much difference between the Fulcrum 3s but I just love the look of the Zondas, the Italians just know how to combine functionality with aesthetics.

I replaced the stock Shimano R500s that came with my ride and installed Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres as I thought Italian brands should complement each other. The difference is significant, not only the stiffness but they freewheel like a dream and are smooth as butter. The hubs make a distinctive high pitched sound like a swarm of angry bees. They feel responsive when you stand on the pedals, and because the spokes are stainless steel the Zondas ride well too.

I weigh just over 80 kgs and after almost 5,000 kms I have not had any reliability problems nor have they needed to be trued.

Apart from posing it's hard to justify going up a level from these wheels unless you are a club racer or triathlete. Overall I would recommend these in a heartbeat.

Favorite Ride:   Red Hill Victorian Peninsula

Purchased At:   wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Racing 3
Shimano R500

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 6 2011 model with Ultegra group

Submitted by Dan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    I've just ordered a new pair. My previous got a stone knock
to the rear rim which has opened a 3cm crack in the rim wall. I only noticed when I got home. I've had them 7 years and apart from one spoke breakage I've never had to true them. I'm just under 200lbs the wheels have done at least 25,000 miles and racing. I hope the new set will be as good.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
Very good quality and reliability. I've trusted mine completely. I own Mavics and Khasmins for my winter bikes and use the Zondas in summer. They aren't as light as carbon but for responsiveness and value for money they can not be faulted.

Submitted by Dave Elliott

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Strengths:    lightweight, very smooth running, feels stiff when putting powerdown, i could feel the difference straight away over the khamsin, felt like was getting an extra mph when on the flat, and they feel so responsive when tackling steep climbs, decending is so much more asured and the braking more precise and controled than with the khamsin set i was using before. With the chorus skeleton calipers i felt in total control when decending around hairpins and felt they were not going to lock up to easily when under hard braking and my decending speed has increased. I use the vittoria rubino pro tyre and a standard tube the weight saving over the khamsin and zaffiro tyre which came with my bike is aprox 548gms. I feel they are an excellent price for the quality and if you are seriously cosidering an upgrade you would do a lot worse of all the upgrades I have done this is by far the best investment for the outlay of money.

Weaknesses:    none i can think of

Bottom Line:
excellent value for money worth every penny

Submitted by Peter a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Bomb proof, can take a heavy rider. Spin fast and corner great

Bottom Line:
I am a big lad at 210 lbs and these wheels are just fine for me. Very strong indeed. I upgraded from stock R500s and the performance improvement is very significant indeed. No flex whatsoever despite my weight and they spin forever. Great for climbing and a massive improvement cornering. A really good value wheel at a lower pricepoint than the Fulcrum 3's. Also stuck a full alloy cassette on (unltegra) to make sure there is no dig into the freehub from harder steel cassettes. Done a 1000 miles so far and no issues.

Purchased At:   Wiggle

From 4ZA Stratos to Zonda or Scirocco?

Hi all, I'm currently riding a Lapierre alloy Tiagra road bike, thinking of getting a Ridley carbon bike which comes with 4ZA Stratos. I also thought of getting the wheel upgrade to Zonda or Scirocco. Can you guys advise the quality of 4ZA Stratos? Would the upgrade to Zonda or Scirocco show signi ... Read More »

Campagnolo Zonda

Anyone has personal experience with these wheelset? It seems like the reviews are pretty good. Just got me a Serotta Atlanta that I'm going to use these on. Didn't want to spend a whole lot on a new set. So for $377 I thought they were a good deal. I'll mainly use these for longer distance rides and ... Read More »

Help mounting clincher tires on Campy Zonda 2 way fit wheels

I would like some advice on mounting clinchers on the new Campagnolo Zonda 2 Way fit wheels. I had a difficult time getting on Vittoria SR tires and was unable to get an even fit. Then I tried Veloflex Corsa 23 and they work great. Anyone experiencing the same? ThanksRead More »

Are these authentic? Campagnolo Zonda G3 & G4

Are these authentic? Campagnolo Zonda G3 & G4 I just scored a great deal and wanted to know if I go duped. Are these legit?Read More »

Handbuilt vs. Factory Campagnolo Zonda

I need a new wheelset for my campy 11 bike. I've been planning on building a BHS/Hed C2 wheelset 24/28 myself, but for slightly less money, I can get a set of Zonda 2-way fit (not planning on going tubeless so the 2-way isn't much of a selling point). I'm 195 lbs. The way i see it, hand building ... Read More »