Campagnolo Zonda wheelsets - clincher

4.52/5 (33 Reviews)

Campagnolo Zonda Roadwheels (Silver). The Zonda? wheels have been restyled and weigh just 1,610* g, a full 100 g less than in the previous version. Campagnolo? is this year introducing the concept of a differential profile for the Zonda? and Eurus? mod

Submitted by Sergio M

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2014

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Climbs and roll weel and fast... sounds good

Weaknesses:    None so far or not relevant

Bottom Line:
I had this wheelset on H&S Bikediscount, on-line shop. My Specialized Tarmac seems a new bike since i mount Zonda, a year ago. My riding feels more and more vicious anda fantastic. The bike become much more light. A great wheelset from Campagnolo!

Bike Setup:   Tarmac with sram appex, ultegra 39/53 crankset, campagnolo zonda wheelset

Submitted by William G

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Strengths:    Brilliant wheels for any price, especially when you consider you can get these online with shipping for around the $500 mark. No rim strip required. Fantastic bearings roll forever. As stiff as a glass of cheap bourbon straight up....

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a tad heavy when you compare to carbon (clincher) de jour wheelsets at 3x the price. Proprietary spokes require sourcing from specialized retailers should you need one (or more).

Bottom Line:
I purchased the previous 1600+ gram generation circa 2009. People count grams but sometimes fail to consider internals, particularly bearings. These campy wheels roll so incredibly smooth thanks to fantastic bearings and internals, far better than my carbon Easton EC90SLX's with R4sl hubs and ceramic bearings. I'm pretty portly at 180+ lbs and these wheels have never so much as budged from true after more than 10K km on horrific roads and plenty of gravel and pot-holes. Stiff as heck...noticeably stiffer than my Easton's and open pros with Record hubs 32 hole 3x cross wheels that feel like spaghetti in comparison. Probably the most overlooked wheelset amongst Campy users with respect to value, now that the new generation is down to 1550 grams, an even better value ATMO. Note that the ceramic bearings from the higher end Shamal and Eurus are cross compatible with the Zondas for (a unnecessary) upgrade if desired. Don't hesitate if having a hard time deciding between the Zondas or the higher end Campy wheels or Fulcrum 1 or 0....save your cash for a 100 gram difference.

Submitted by MercRidnMike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Light and robust for the price, slight nod to aero, Campy build quality, spin up well and spin smoothly, price, spoke pattern (if you like it)

Weaknesses:    Not super flashy or sexy, spoke pattern may not be to everyone's liking, replacement parts can be expensive

Bottom Line:
I purchased a set of 2013 Zondas (regular, not two-way fit) in the spring as an upgrade from the stock Fulcrum Racing T set that came on my 2012 Cervelo S2. Out of the box they were very well trued, quite light (weighed out to 1557g, which is pretty close to their 1550g claimed weight) and striking with the lacing pattern on the rear wheel. For an inexpensive wheel set, the build quality was simply amazing.

I'm a solid clyde class rider (I was actually slightly over the Campy recommended limit when I got them, but have since dropped a lot of weight), so I was hoping for the best with these. So far, I I have put a good number of km's under the wheels and they have remained true, in spite of my bulk and the horrible roads where I live. They were a noticeable upgrade from the stock wheels...the bike felt faster and changed lines a little easier (I also changed tires from Gatorskins to GP400s, so the entire wheelset lost a lot of weight...lion's share was in the wheels, so I'll credit them).

They are not an aero wheelset, but they do have a differential depth (the rear is a few mm deeper than the front) and bladed spokes...enough to make a difference? I doubt it...but they look nice and the color scheme matches my bike ;) If you're after pure aero performance, dig out the wallet and look elsewhere...these aren't your wheels. As a climbing set, though, they do seem to do quite well...even after a couple days in the saddle for a multi-day charity ride.

Campy wheels don't often get much press and they certainly aren't the most flashy wheels out there, but Campagnolo builds their wheels with the same commitment that they apply to all their products: you make a quality product that works well and is dependable or the Campy name doesn't go on it. That commitment shows. Sure, Aksiums and Shimano wheels in the same price bracket may have more flash, but I don't think you get the same quality in a machine built, mass produced wheel as you do in a quality hand built set.

Okay, they have a downside: they can be more expensive to fix (parts are a bit more and not as often "on hand" at the LBS), but the bearings are serviceable (loose bearings....just like Shimano) and the quality is there so the likelihood of needing to do repairs is lower. Of course, those who are gear snobs might not want to have Campy wheels with their SRAM or Shimano groups...but the stickers do come off, so don't let the name on the rim deter you.

If you are in the market for a lighter set of wheels for an upgrade that won't break the bank, but want something quality that can take some abuse too, these are well worth the look. They may not be super flashy, overly aero or gimmicky, but they work very well.

Favorite Ride:   Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer (Alberta)

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Racing T's, hand built set on Hope Pro III hubs and Mavic hoops

Bike Setup:   2012 Cervelo S2 that is still mostly stock other than wheels and contact points (bars, stem, pedals and saddle).

Submitted by Pedal Pusha a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Hubs are smooth as silk and freewheel forever
Awesome looks with the G3 spoke pattern matt black finishing
Great value for money equation and no reliability issues after 4,850 kms

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses to report so far

Bottom Line:
After researching the 3 major wheels at this price-point - Fulcrum Racing 3, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and the Zondas, I opted for the Zondas. I heard there is not much difference between the Fulcrum 3s but I just love the look of the Zondas, the Italians just know how to combine functionality with aesthetics.

I replaced the stock Shimano R500s that came with my ride and installed Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres as I thought Italian brands should complement each other. The difference is significant, not only the stiffness but they freewheel like a dream and are smooth as butter. The hubs make a distinctive high pitched sound like a swarm of angry bees. They feel responsive when you stand on the pedals, and because the spokes are stainless steel the Zondas ride well too.

I weigh just over 80 kgs and after almost 5,000 kms I have not had any reliability problems nor have they needed to be trued.

Apart from posing it's hard to justify going up a level from these wheels unless you are a club racer or triathlete. Overall I would recommend these in a heartbeat.

Favorite Ride:   Red Hill Victorian Peninsula

Purchased At:   wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Racing 3
Shimano R500

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 6 2011 model with Ultegra group

Submitted by Dan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    I've just ordered a new pair. My previous got a stone knock
to the rear rim which has opened a 3cm crack in the rim wall. I only noticed when I got home. I've had them 7 years and apart from one spoke breakage I've never had to true them. I'm just under 200lbs the wheels have done at least 25,000 miles and racing. I hope the new set will be as good.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
Very good quality and reliability. I've trusted mine completely. I own Mavics and Khasmins for my winter bikes and use the Zondas in summer. They aren't as light as carbon but for responsiveness and value for money they can not be faulted.

Zonda Help

I have one of the early 2004 - 2006 Zonda wheelsets. The one with round spokes. Great wheels, a tad heavy but very durable. Will the current Zonda/Shimano cassette hub bodies fit?Read More »

Fulcrum 3's vs. Campy Zonda's vs.Reynolds MV32's

I'm looking a 2nd pair of wheels for a build I'm doing and have read on these 3 that work for my budget. All the reviews for each are favorable but I was hoping for some more current feedback as most are a year or two old. Any input:mad2:Read More »

Hed Ardennes Plus Vs Campagnolo Zonda 2way fit

Looking for a new set of wheels and I am on the fence of which ones I should get. Whats your .02 cents???Read More »

Campagnolo Zonda Wheel Question

I have been reading some excellent reviews for the Campagnolo Zonda wheels. This might seem like a strange question, but I would like to know if they have the clicking ratchet sound when you aren't pedaling. I have owned wheels that made the clicking sound when you weren't pedaling and I never ... Read More »

Campagnolo zonda or Wheel building

Hey guys, My commuting distance as increased to about 4 miles each way and so my old push bike (Giant Rock) is starting to cripple and has been giving more problems that I can throw money at so I think it is time to upgrade. I got an old Reynolds 531 road frameset so I am trying to rebuild the bike ... Read More »