Cane Creek Aerohead Road wheelsets - clincher

4.08/5 (26 Reviews)

The rims are lights (410g), low-profile and endowed with machined braking sidewalls. Available in 700 and 650c and DB stainless and titanium spokes. Price range $550 - 700/pair

Submitted by Freeagent35 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    Quite strong and smooth. Nipples around the hub mean that they spin up/climb faster than most. Extremely reasonable price (About $250, usually, when I see them).

Weaknesses:    Not as aero as some, rear hub is "tight", even after 3 years. I keep it so it just is a tiny bit loose (a small amount of wiggle) so it spins smoothly.

Bottom Line:
Starting season #4. See my prior posts as this is a continuation of a long term review. After 3 years I like these as much as ever. Exceptional wheels for the money. They are a pain to true, but they rarely come out of true. I am a decent sized rider (180 lbs) and ride hard, including a lot of climbs and sprints. Despite this, these wheels have held up extremely well. Have never had my freehub click or slip (can't even say that about my SSC Ksyriums that I paid 3x as much for). They are not as fast as SSCs, etc., but up to 24 mph they are quite good. If you climb and sprint a lot (criteriums also come to mind) they are hard to beat. Make sure to get some parts from Cane Creek (the spoke wrench is special; for about $15 I got one for shop, a smaller one for patch kit/bike, and a few spokes/nipples. I have yet to change a spoke).

Favorite Ride:   Brown County

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (including 8 & 9 Ultegra/open Pro, etc., Ksyrium SSC SL, Spinergy (yuk).

Bike Setup:   EPX 303 Carbon (Martec) with Ultegra 9.

Submitted by wannarace a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
good solid wheels, I use them on my cross bike(only for light off road riding, though) so far no problems, probably best bang for your buck

Favorite Ride:   Jamis Nova

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by kinaidos a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, fast, easy access drive side flange, price.

Weaknesses:    Straight gauge straight pull spokes are inherently weaker than j-bend swaged spokes.

Bottom Line:
I love the wheels for the most part. They ride great. They are stiff and fast. What more do you need. Oddly the wheels I've got are marked Aerohead SG but have a volos rim - the aerohead oc rim. I had my first spoke break at about 4,000 miles, but for a low count straight gauge wheel, that's not too bad. I love that you don't need to remove the cassete to replace a drive side spoke. That's enough to assure me that I can use these on long rides provided I bring spokes and the tiny wrench.

Favorite Ride:   Vashon Island Circle

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open pro with shimano hubs.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Nova. The wheels are all I've changed.

Submitted by braston a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Weaknesses:    Very weak spokes.

Bottom Line:
See my reviews under the Aerohead SG/LX heading. The spokes on these wheels break if you look at them wrong. Extremely unreliable. The frustration of broken spokes on every other ride means these wheels will be banished to the garage forever.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Easton/Velomax, Ritchey, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Renaissance & Cerveol R2.5

Submitted by galanz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, durability, price.

Weaknesses:    Spoke tension too light, could have just been mine.

Bottom Line:
The spoke tension on these was too low when I got them, and went slightly out of true quickly. Thankfully I have a buddy who's a master builder and he trued them up with proper tension and they've been great since.
The hubs aren't a smooth at my Records, but for the price I can't complain.
Overall they've been way better than I expected for the price.

Favorite Ride:   Gotta love the mountains

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Lots of conventional 28 to 36 spoke wheels, my next wheels are going to be Campy Eurus'.

Bike Setup:   Which One?

for fixed road, DT Swiss RR1.1 or Aerohead? or other?

I'm 135 lbs. and I'll be building up these rims as 28R/28F with Phil Wood hubs for my dedicated road (occasional fire-trail) fixie and wanted to hear current poster preferences between these two wheels. Here's what I have gathered after some research: Weight: both are similar, within 10g of each ... Read More »

Shimano R550 Vs. Cane Creek Aerohead AG Road Wheels

I am looking for a training set of wheels, and have narrowed it down to the Shimano R550s and the Cane Creek Aerohead AG wheels. I would enjoy reading some opinions of both wheelsets.Read More »

CANE CREEK AEROHEAD SG ROAD WHEELS $183.96 pair

Go to performance and have them Price match [url]http://www.greenfishsports.com[/url] at 229.95 then take 20% off using performance code 6000387.Read More »