Cane Creek Aerohead SG/LX wheelsets - clincher

• Rim:Aerohead 6106-T6 aluminum
  • Weight:750g

Submitted by scofam5 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Strengths:    They stay true, light, fast acceleration and climbing, sealed bearings. Cane Creek supports their products well.

Weaknesses:    Have to take off casette to true rear drive side, the spokes are hard to come by. Not a current Cane Creek wheel set, made specially for Performance Bike I was told

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels when I built my bike last summer and put about 500 miles on them with no problems. Until this last weekend on a metric when I broke a rear drive side spoke climbing a hill on a turn while shifting. Additionally I currently weigh 240 pounds (tough winter). So, I think this is a pretty good wheel set, even if it was made from old stock for Performance Bikes (per their own product group). Finding silver replacement spokes wasn't easy, but once I wrote Cane Creek about the problem, they offered to send me out some spokes free of charge. Can't ask for more then that.

Favorite Ride:   Seagull Century

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Russo Reef frame, Ultegra 9 speed group. NTM stems.

Submitted by kinaidos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    Responsive, stiff, fast. At clearance prices these are a super steal for handbuilt wheels, especially given these light stiff rims and the oc rear rim.

Weaknesses:    Obviously not for heavier riders. Don't let the SG fool you. That's there for stiffness, not strength. If you weigh more than about 175 you will probably break these.

Bottom Line:
So far so good, although I've only ridden on them for a month or so. They perform very well. The hub is super responsive, the sg spokes, high tension, and low rotational weight make them really fast wheels. I am a tiny bit worried whenever I get sg spokes because they tend to break not bend. But we'll see. If any geomtery is gonig to be kind to them, this one will. I wouldn't ride these things if I weighed more than say 175 though.
Don't get me wrong. They've done all the right things with these wheels - oc rims, 28 spoke drive wheel, large drive side flange, high tension spokes. But a 2x drive - radial left rear wheel with 2.0 sg spokes is just not going hold up a heavy rider for long.

Favorite Ride:   Orcas Island - Various routes

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Various handbuilt Mavic open-pro/shimano wheels.

Bike Setup:   Jamis cyclocross bike, but it's steel so it's also my century+ bike.

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Strengths:    If you don't mind broken spokes every other ride, they have a nice feel, look sweet and accelerate fast. Hubs are nice and smooth. Cane Creek customer service is decent.

Weaknesses:    Broken spokes, broken spokes,broken spokes!!! Very unreliable wheelset.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my last two posts. After getting this wheelset re-worked for the second time, I let them sit in my closet for 6 months since I bought a new bike with Eastons and had an alternate set of wheels on my old bike. Today, I took them for the first ride since they were repaired. After just 30 miles the rear wheel lost another spoke. This is absolutely frustrating!!! I have never had so many problems with a wheelset. Cane Creek makes a lot of good products but I will never buy a wheelset from them again. My Easton (Velomax) Circuits are now my favorites and my Ritcheys have thousands of miles on them with only one broken spoke. I would highly recommend the Eastons over the Cane Creeks. They ride just as nice, accelerate fast, are lighter, and are much more dependable.

Favorite Ride:   El Tour de Tucson, El Tour de Phoenix

Purchased At:   Supergo Chandler

Similar Products Used:   Easton/Velomax Circuit, Ritchey Deep Section, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Renaissance Ultegra & Cervelo R2.5 Dura Ace

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    See previous review (7/22/05). Cane Creek customer service is great if you contact them directly.

Weaknesses:    Durability? Will test again after proper re-build.

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS A FOLLOW UP FROM MY REVIEW OF 7/22/05 (see below). After writing my last review, I e-mailed Cane Creek to express my frustration with the dealer's inability to obtain replcacement spokes. They e-mailed back with an apology, said the black spoke kit for these wheels was in stock and that they would send me the kit right away at no cost as a result of my trouble. They couldn't understand why the dealer said they were unavailable. At any rate, the spokes are on their way. I will have my favorite mechanic rework this wheel and will put it to the test again. I hope this wheelset is as durable (after a proper build) as the other reviews say it is.

Purchased At:   SuperGo Chandler AZ

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Renaissance Ultegra

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Great price, smooth front hub, nice looks, fairly light for a training wheel. Wheel stays true enough to get home if you break a spoke.

Weaknesses:    Weak spokes. Difficult to get replacement spokes in black color. Poor customer service. Cane Creek told dealer to go find spokes from another manufacturer.

Bottom Line:
They look durable but I broke a spoke on a smooth flat ride after only a couple hundred miles. Supergo tried to get black replacement spokes from Cane Creek for several months. I finally had them replace it with a silver spoke. After only 25 more miles, broke another spoke... again on a flat, smooth, easy ride. Durability is questionable and spokes aren't as easy to get as Cane Creek's web site says they are. Supergo is selling tons of these "closeout" wheels. There are going to be alot of unhappy riders looking for replacement spokes.

Favorite Ride:   Usery Loop, Canyon Lake

Purchased At:   Supergo Chandler

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Deep Section (light and durable - thousands and thousands of miles with only 1 broken spoke)

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Renaissance with Ultegra 9.