Cane Creek Aerohead Team Road wheelsets - clincher

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

The light weight of Crono road wheels gets even lighter as a titanium rear axle/cassette body and ti spokes put booster rockets on the fast Crono foundation.

Submitted by deliriou5 a Triathlete from Cherry Hill, NJ

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Blue spokes are sexy and attention-grabbing.
Wheels are oh-so-light!
Titanium spokes soak up alot of the rough stuff.

Weaknesses:    Graphics are very cheap for this price point (stickers!).

Bottom Line:
So my wheels finally came in today, after waiting 2 weeks for them. But the joy of riding these wheels made it well worth the wait. The greatest difference in these wheels is their incredibly quick spool-up. My 20 pound bike now feels like a rocket when I lay on the power. I found myself going 1-2mph faster than I used to on my old Open Pros.

But the thing that I love most about these wheels is the incredibly plush ride!! As I've mentioned before, the titanium spokes act like a suspension when going over bumps... and today I went over bumps that previously would have made me wince in pain... I was able to stay in the saddle over stuff that would normally make me curse my aluminum frame.

I highly reccomend this wheelset for anyone looking to upgrade. Granted, I have never tried any of the other big-name racing wheels, so you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

Favorite Ride:   Flat and Scenic

Purchased At:   sierratradingpost.co

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pro Ultegra (they stink)
Mavic CXP23 Ultegra (they stink even worse)

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized Allez Comp
Ultegra groupset
Look PP396 pedals

Submitted by yellowpearlz a Road Racer from Franklin, WI

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    VERY light, yet VERY strong/stiff. You will definitely feel the difference in acceleration with these wheels compared to your old set. The blue DOES look good with the right paint scheme. Cool-lookingblue/gray TI spokes. Construction is top-notch... beautiful machining.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of?

Bottom Line:
I purchased these wheels new from an Ebay member, and all I can say is "damn!". I've had them for a little under a month, but I've managed to put nearly 600 miles on them without any problems (keep in mind, I am only 130lbs.). Combined with my TCR (compact frame) they provide an extremely stiff and responsive ride, which is great for me. The hubs/bearings are holding up so far, and I've had no problems with loosening or anything of the sort. I also have a set of Cane Creek Cronos on my Klein MTB, which I've been using for three years without problems as well.
I've always like Cane Creek for their great customer service, and their originality in desing. One of the first companies to put the nipples at the hub, for instance, and look at what everyone else is *finally* doing, too.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere rural

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   stock junk on most bikes... nothing compares to these yet.

Bike Setup:   '02 Giant TCR, Cane Creek team TI, Ultegra/105, TI SLR saddle, carbon comps, etc.

Submitted by ricardblanc a Road Racer from Philadelphia, Pa.

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Good all around race wheel
Blue color is quite striking.

Weaknesses:    I break the ti spokes now and then. You must keep replacements spokes and wrench ready, because most shops won't carry them.

Bottom Line:
This is a good all aroud wheel with smooth hubs and low rotational weight. They tend to stay true, even under punishing conditions.

Similar Products Used:   MAVIC COSMIC CARBON WHEELS, CAMPY PROTONS, ROLF VECTOR COMPS and SHIMANO(dura ace level) WHEEL SET

Bike Setup:   TREK 5200 W/ DURA ACE & ULTEGRA COMPONENTS, FORGIE STEM AND BARS

Submitted by David a Road Racer from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight wheelset that is great for climbing and the hubs seems to be some of the smoothest around. Great cusotmer service.

Weaknesses:    Spokes seemed to break easily in the rear and like everyone else I didn't care for the funky blue color.

Bottom Line:
Very light and wheels have stayed very true. I like another reviewer have had a few spokes break on the rear wheel. CC send me replacement spokes and then after the third break had me mail the hub back and they built me up a new wheel. Even though I was a little upset about the spokes breaking it was great to see the quality customer service.

Favorite Ride:   HTH100 RR - Witchita Falls

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Cosmic Pro, Rolf Vector Pro, Dura Ace wheelset, Spinergy Rev-x.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD4 63 CM / Dura-Ace.

Submitted by Jeff a Road Racer from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    Light, tough

Weaknesses:    expense?

Bottom Line:
I've had these wheels over a month, and they're working very well so far. I returned to road riding after a long absence, so I have little experience to evaluate these wheels against any others. They came with the used bike I bought, and there's not that much info out about these wheels, but I read a few good things about em so I wasn't too worried. Gotta try something to know for sure, right? They've been solid in 500+ miles, no concerns. Lightweight, acceleration feels fast, etc. I doubt I'd pay $500+ for any wheels alone at this point in my biking career, but I'm happy to have em. Rims are bright blue, spokes are bluish grey. Kinda different, but works with the Look frame.

I'd recommend these wheels to anyone, for what my inexperienced opinion is worth! Looking forward to many more miles ...

Favorite Ride:   someplace new