Cane Creek Racing Clincher wheelsets - clincher

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

One good rim - lightweight, silver, deep-section -- done up with butted stainless, titanium and stainless spokes, and various spoke counts.

Submitted by Jon Charlton a Road Racer from Victoria

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    The 30mm-deep rims provide some aero-benefit and do not become a negative with the presence of cross-winds.

Vendor is outstanding: Had a problem with the free-hub and CaneCreek replaced without question.

The 16-DB-spoke-setup on the front is great.

The 28-back is stiff for a rider weighing 165lbs.

Bearing-action is smooth.

Straight-pull-spoke with nipples-on-the-hub-side is a great technical-feature for reducing centrifical-inertia.

Weaknesses:    Free-hub engagement appears to be slow. Likely due to choice of rear-hub-internals. Can update the free-hub to Dura Ace for some inprovement.

Would like to see the vendor consider other hub internals such as Hope and EDCO bearings.

Bottom Line:
Good price-point for performance. If all you do is ride then spend the money for either a pair of FIR/ANTARAS or ZIPP/404's. I'm a local-club-racer and ride less than 15 hours/week.

Favorite Ride:   Thursday nite with my buds

Similar Products Used:   Campagnola's Sydney-2000-rims mated with Ultegra hubset (32-spoke) - too heavy in comparison.

Bike Setup:   CAAD3 frame, Dura Ace components (BB, hubs, cassette), Blance of groupo 6500-Ultegra-9spd-STI, Time Stilletto carbon fork, ICON handlebar-stem, Trimatic saddle, Synchros seatpost, Schwabe(sp.?) tires

Submitted by mike a Road Racer from moorpark

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Blue Ti spokes are cool looking along w/decals. Light front wheel. good aerodynamics

Weaknesses:    Rear Ti rims feels flexy on fast decents.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the initial set after seeing them on display at the litespeed booth at the bike show. I was one of the first purchasers. Well the front Ti spokes kept popping and when they break the rim goes COMPLETELY out of TRUE. I angrily sent the set back and they sent me a 1999 set w/the new lighter hubs and only charged me shipping!! No problems since. cudos to CANE CREEK. GO W/THE TI spokes.

Favorite Ride:   Simi Valley winter ride