Cane Creek Volos wheelsets - clincher

4.88/5 (16 Reviews)

• Volos gives you raceability with extra durability for rough courses and training
  • Its asymmetrical rear rim provides better dish and more balanced tension to stay true longer
  • So it’s practical, uncompromising, and wicked fast

Submitted by jschmidlapp a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, prices, MADE IN AMERICA!!

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I own a total of 6 sets of Cane Creek wheels; 2 sets of Aros 58 Carbon deep section wheels (one with Ti spokes, the other with Sapim CX-Ray), 1 set of Aros 38 Cabon clinchers, 1 set of Volos clinchers, and 2 sets of Volos XL clinchers. Every wheel set is perfect. I use two different bikes and was fortunate enough at the time to have the cash to afford a set each of Shimano and Campag wheels. Admittedly, I am a wheel junkie, but of all the bike equipment I've ever purchased, Cane Creek wheels have been the best investment yet. As with all the other reviews, Cane Creek service is first rate and their products are bomb-proof. Thousands of miles on Dallas and Seattle roads later, I still rave about these wheels. The Aros 58's are so light and smooth, using them in races is like cheating. The Volos XLs simply do not go out of true ... EVER. And the Aros 38's are on par with Fulcrum Race 1's or Mavic Ksyrium SLs only several hundred dollars less.

Favorite Ride:   RBM South ride

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Freccia Celeste w/ Campag Chorus 10 spd and a classic Falcon retofitted with 10 spd SRAM (Sachs) Force 10 spd.

Submitted by Robert Alcasabas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, acceleration, ease to mount my Hutchinson or Continental tires, light weight of 1640gms

Weaknesses:    Only 21mm profile (if I had to get picky)

Bottom Line:
Have about 3000 miles on this wheelset, and still are true. I am 5'10" and 178lbs. These wheels have taken a beating from Texas roads in both the sun and the rain. They have survived 4 MS 150's.They spin incessantly and wind up to accelerate effortlessly. VERY happy with this AMERICAN made purchase. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

Favorite Ride:   Goatneck 100

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports

Similar Products Used:   various Mavic, Velocity,FSA and Araya rims.

Bike Setup:   Built up a new 2007 BMC Streetfire frame with 10 speed Campy Chorus front and rear derailleurs, Centaur shifters, 2008 Shimano 105 brakeset, Campy Centaur Ultratorque double crankset, FSA carbon seatpost, Easton EC70 fork, Salsa ProRace handlebars, Selle SMP Extra saddle, Easton EM90 stem, Vistech mini aerobars, and Continental 4000S tires.

Submitted by Timothy G. Bellwood a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth, great acceleration, price, overall value

Weaknesses:    Aesthetics are good not great. rear hub a little noisy but nothing compared to the Fulcrums.

Bottom Line:
Oh my word,what a difference wheels make. I just replaced my Fulcrum 7's with these Cane Creek Volos XL's. Like night and day. Literally twice as easy to get up hills which we have plenty here in Tennessee. They have so much more stiffness and responsiveness I can't believe it. They are also very inexpensive as I only paid $279 at bike nashbar on sale and then a 20% off coupon. Can't beat these for the price.Very smooth ride. It is shame they are not going to make these anymore. I was concerned about this but after e-mailing Cane Creek they assured me they would service them. I have heard their customer service is first rate. They are also US made!

Favorite Ride:   natchez trace tennessee

Purchased At:   bike nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum 7's. Just plain bad wheels

Bike Setup:   Kuota Kharma, ultegra, and
FSA carbon SLK handlebars, Terry Liberator Y gel seat

Submitted by Robert Alcasabas a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth bearings, straight spokes and bombproof. Technological marvels. Easy to mount my Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tires on.

Weaknesses:    I learned the HARD way - Assymmetrical rear rim absolutely requires a wide rim tape. It finally sunk in after 5 flats - DUH!!!Don't mess up like me.

Bottom Line:
SHAME, SHAME, SHAME........ that Cane Creek is no longer manufacturing road wheels. These wheels are great looking, strong,light, and accelerate like a banshee!! I am 5'11' and 180lbs and I bought these to upgrade from my Velocity Spartcus Pros, which I thought were excellent and top notch - till I got these babies. The speed and climbing you can attain with these wheels will astound you, and you should feel patriotic since they are made in AMERICA.
I am getting another pair of Cane Creeks for my TREK time trial bike.

Favorite Ride:   Texas Hill Country

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Spartacus Pros, Velocity Spartacus, FSA RD-80, Mavic CXP-33, CXP-21, CXP-10 and old Araya rims.

Bike Setup:   2006 FELT F55 built up with aftermarket items consisting of Campagnolo Centaur brakes/shifters, Campy Chorus front and rear derailleurs, FSA Team Issue Triple Carbon crankset, Salsa Cycles Pro Racing handlebars and Selle Marco Aspide saddle.

Submitted by Jeff D a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness! Higher spoke count (24/28) makes the bike noticeably stiffer, especially out of the saddle. This makes the bike/wheel system more efficient, faster, and much more satisfying to ride. Quickness: lower rotational inertia is evident.

Weaknesses:    I think my rim failure was a fluke, and they made up for it with customer service.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review. When changing tires recently I found 10 cracks on the rear rim corresponding to spoke positions (drive side). I have never heard of such a failure from these wheels and believe it to be a fluke. Cane Creek rebuilt the wheel, including an upgrade to the newer 3.5 hub, free of charge...didn't even ask to see my purchase receipt to ensure it was under warranty (it was). Wheel came back perfectly dished and true in 2 weeks. Customer service during the re-build was great. While they are no longer building "geared" wheels I can't say enough about the quality of the company and their products. Buy American!

Favorite Ride:   Painful Climbs

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Bike Setup:   Scott Alu, Ultegra, Cane Creek

Mixup: CC Volos XLs instead of Sterlings

I recently recieved a set of Cane Creek Volos XLs from Bike Nashbar, despite ordering a set of CC Volos Sterlings from their site. It turns out they never had Sterlings in stock, only the XLs, and there's no way they'll find and send me the right wheels. So, I'm wondering if I got a bad deal he ... Read More »

Cane Creek Volos XL or neuvation R28's?

I came across some take-off Cane Creek Volos XL's and from the comments here, they seem to be a nice wheel though now discontinued. My other option were the Neuvation R28 SL '3s. I'm 155#'s and these are going to see mostly well groomed streets and trails on my usual recreational rides. Pretty ta ... Read More »

Volos Team Issue opinions

Looking to try a new set of wheels and I am really thinking of the Cane Creek Volos Team issue wheels with CX-Ray spokes. anyone have experience with them, they are pretty light and I'm only 155lbs in the summer so im not worried about durability. Just wondering your thoughts, i know people with t ... Read More »

Cane Creek Volos T.I. or Kyserium ES?

I am considering my next set of wheels for a bike build I will be doing this year. I got in on the group buy for a Pedal Force RS frameset (carbon frame and fork for $550 delivered) and I was considering my options for the wheels that will be used with this frame. I currently have an older set of ... Read More »

Easton Velomax Circuit vs. Cane Creek Volos Sterling