CODA Competition Road 700c Wheelset wheelsets - clincher

• Hand-trued

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by matias a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    THE WHOLE PACKAGE RIM,HUB,AND SPOKES

Bottom Line:
    THE WORST WHEEL EVER,IF YOU BUY A 60CM BIKE CHANCES ARE YOUR NOT GOING TO WEIGH UNDER 160 POUNDS.GOT THEM TRUED ALOT. HUB WENT OUT WHEN I TRIED SPRINTING TO CATCH UP WITH RIDE GROUP. JUST CRAP

Favorite Ride:   san clemente to O'side

Purchased At:   TWO WHEELS ONE PLANE

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   R2000 SHIMANO ULTEGRA SL,THOMSON STEM,3T BARS,FULCRUM 3 WHEELS

Submitted by poohbah75 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    Match my bike (sort of), light weight

Weaknesses:    light weight sacrifices strength, out of true constantly, have broken too many spokes

Bottom Line:
    According to a previous post, if you're only 110 lbs., these wheels are great. Unfortunately, I am 205 lbs., and I don't ride light. I hardly use these wheels anymore bacuse they get out of true so easily. I even had them relaced in 3-cross pattern, which helped a bit (the stock lacing was radial front/radial non-drive/two-cross drive), but I still had to true them after every ride, and sometimes in the middle of rides. Heavy/powerful riders stay away! I never understood why anyone would spec a 28 hole conventional rim on a 60 cm frame...

Favorite Ride:   Central MD

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Cosmics (durable as hell), looking for new set (maybe Easton/Velomax Orion II?)

Bike Setup:   Stock 60 cm Cannondale R2000 (CAAD4)

Submitted by TripleTriangle a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Super light. On paper math suggests around 1600 grams.

Look great

Weaknesses:    Not for anyone but ultra light riders.

Bottom Line:
    Very nice wheels. Hugi (opps, I mean CODA ;) ) hubs work well, love the noise during free wheeling. I wouldn't pay the Hugi price for the hubs, but the CODA price was great. Rims are great too, tired and true Mavic Open Pros. Not the lightest, but they keep going. The wheels have stayed true except for maybe a millimeter. I ride some rough roads, even a few dirt roads. But I'm also really light, 118 pounds.

Favorite Ride:   A pace club ride

Similar Products Used:   Alex DA16

Bike Setup:   GT ZR5.0, with these wheels and Koobi Xenon.

Submitted by CritLover a Road Racer from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Overall great training wheel, matches my orange bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Bought them for training wheels and they have been great! Have about 2000 miles on them and they are as true as the day I put them on. Have heard about the problems mentiioned below from my LBS, but can say I haven't had anything to complain about. The hubs are Hugi's, rims are Mavic standard Open Pro's, so the only thing that could go wrong is the build, but I guess I got lucky.

Favorite Ride:   Anything smooth!

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Vector Comps, Zipp 404s, Sestrieres, Open Pro-Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Seven Axiom -Dura Ace-Speedplay X1-Fizik Vitesse-Cinelli Stem-Bars

Submitted by Chris a Recreational Rider from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    still thinkin'...

Weaknesses:    everything. same thing happened to my dad's rear coda.

Bottom Line:
    These came on my R700--coda hubs (which, by the way, are the same for mountain and road) and Mavic CPX33. They suck. After 60 mi on flat, newly paved roads, the rear came radially out of true. Thried to true 'em. Spoke tension was way uneven. Took it to LBS. Said it was toast. I only weigh 140. I don't think I'm that strong! They're also heavy, don't engage quickly, and noisy. These don't even deserve 1 falmin' rhino turd. STAY AWAY FROM THESE.