DT Swiss R-1900 wheelsets - clincher

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

• Handbuilt DT-Swiss wheels with optimized components
  • Sleeved jointed single-eyelet rim (19.3wx30.3h)
  • 370-inspired hubs with stainless steel bearings
  • DT-Swiss bladed aero spokes with ProLock nipples
  • Includes wheel bags, rim strips, and quick release skewers
  • 830g/1070g (1900g set): black with black/white decals and black spokes/nipples

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2015

Strengths:    These came set up on a Focus Izalco. I did not know what to expect. I had gone through six wheelsets, some clunky and some just okay. These were a step up. Not super light, but neither am I at 190 lbs.
    strengths are - r liable, consistent, strong base for sprinting, climbing and cornering. Could I ride lighter? Probably. But am I complaining? No.

Weaknesses:    Brass nipples prone to fast corrosion. Stickers too many and peel off . Paint preferable.

Bottom Line:
    I would opt for a head again. Unless I win th lottery. But wheels should not cost more than the bike!

Submitted by Robbert

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2015

Strengths:    - Very stiff
    - Durable
    - Fun to ride

Weaknesses:    - On the heavy side

Bottom Line:
    Got this wheelset on my bike, never failed me (95kg 1.90m). Fun to ride and very predictable.

Submitted by Jarno

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2015

Strengths:    Durable, cheap

Weaknesses:    Heavy, get wobbly at hard accelleration, they wear readily

Bottom Line:
    I bought my first racing bike with these wheels included. I rode 17000 kilometers with them. They are everyting you might expect from a low-cost wheel, yet still they lasted till the very end: the braking rim is totally worn out, the rear-wheel bearings grind audibly and the freewheel-body is a bit wobbly. But what to expect after spending a long summer riding sprint races and cyclo's on them? Yes, I broke spokes, but they didn't pop out of the blue

They might not give you an edge in flat out sprints, nor offer they any advantage goin uphill; but I find these wheels truly fun to ride on. Now they'll give way to a much higher-end wheelset, they will be thanked, but they won't be missed.

Submitted by Gideon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Sort of Aero
    Good looking

Weaknesses:    Bearings
    Quick release

Bottom Line:
    Bought the wheels with my new bike, because supposedly they would be strong and stiff. What a dissapointment. As long as you go straight, sure they'll do the job, bu so will the cheapest wheels. In sprinting or in corners I have to fully open my brakes, and the rims will still touch them. Within the first year my freewheelbody got stuck, a couple of months later I broke a spoke for no good reason, and now the bearings are completely destroyed. Moreover, the quick release of my rear wheel has wore off, doesn't work anymore. O yeah, and the freewheel doesn't always lock on/stay locked on.

The Wheels aren't any better than my Shimano WH-R540, which are many years old.

Submitted by tim a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2011

Weaknesses:    bearings, after sales not interested even with an apparent 2 year warrenty

Bottom Line:
    having managed to only get 13 months from the rear and about 4500miles wasnt too impressed with how long they have lasted.
    Ride well when they are new but 13 months is not along time