DT Swiss R-1900 wheelsets - clincher

3.17/5 (6 Reviews)

• Handbuilt DT-Swiss wheels with optimized components
  • Sleeved jointed single-eyelet rim (19.3wx30.3h)
  • 370-inspired hubs with stainless steel bearings
  • DT-Swiss bladed aero spokes with ProLock nipples
  • Includes wheel bags, rim strips, and quick release skewers
  • 830g/1070g (1900g set): black with black/white decals and black spokes/nipples

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Gideon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Sort of Aero
    Good looking

Weaknesses:    Bearings
    Spokes
    Quick release
    Freewheel

Bottom Line:
    Bought the wheels with my new bike, because supposedly they would be strong and stiff. What a dissapointment. As long as you go straight, sure they'll do the job, bu so will the cheapest wheels. In sprinting or in corners I have to fully open my brakes, and the rims will still touch them. Within the first year my freewheelbody got stuck, a couple of months later I broke a spoke for no good reason, and now the bearings are completely destroyed. Moreover, the quick release of my rear wheel has wore off, doesn't work anymore. O yeah, and the freewheel doesn't always lock on/stay locked on.

The Wheels aren't any better than my Shimano WH-R540, which are many years old.

Submitted by tim a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2011

Weaknesses:    bearings, after sales not interested even with an apparent 2 year warrenty

Bottom Line:
    having managed to only get 13 months from the rear and about 4500miles wasnt too impressed with how long they have lasted.
    Ride well when they are new but 13 months is not along time

Submitted by JEFFREY BARRON a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Spokes/strength/DT Cust. Svc (will only re-build once sent back-will not replace)

Bottom Line:
    I've ridden Mavic Elites for 6 years and love them...Got a new Focus Izalco and they came with the R1900's...I was hesitant because they are pretty cheap wheels on such a nice, expensive ($3600.00) bike, but my shop said they are strong and sturdy for big guys like me (6'1", 190). In 2 months, 3 spokes have popped in the back for no reason! Cheap spokes...heavy...Do yourselves a favor and pay a couple hundred more and go with Mavic...Elites, or a few more for SL's...these are going back and I'm done.

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium Elites / Open Pro's

Bike Setup:   Focus Izalco Carbon/ SRAM Force / etc.

Submitted by RoadKill21 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    - Very strong, hasn't gone out of true yet.
    -Aero/high rim - nice to look at

Weaknesses:    -flexes a little with sharp turns
    -noisy, everyone will hear you coming from behind if you stop pedaling
    -I'm not sure what to purchase next if these fail, can't beat the price I paid for them

Bottom Line:
    I'm a commuter/recreational cyclist mostly.
    I use the DT-Swiss R1900 on my commuter bike, a Cube SL Road Comp 2008.
    I love the R1900, cheap (got a great deal), strong, reliable.
    They look great (but get dirty quickly with the weather I'm having lately :-{ )
    They are easy to keep clean, aero spokes and high rim and all.

Survived an "iceskating crash" during winter (snowfall/rain and -5 celsius, gets quite slippery :D)
    I went down quite hard, the rear wheel & skewer recieved a hard blow, I didn't even had to adjust anything! Could keep on riding like nothing happened!

Favorite Ride:   hard crosswinds pedaling away on a long steep bridge

Purchased At:   12gotrading.com

Similar Products Used:   This was my first "expensive" wheelset, it was for sale in regular stores for 345 Euro (Netherlands), got it for 220 Euro! from an online store.

Bike Setup:   Cube SL Road Comp 2008 Deore LX/XT, Avid SD7, Selle SMP Glider.

Submitted by xander a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    stif, looks, durability, swiss made!
    price (290 EUR)

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
    Being a student, i had to look for a cheaper pair of wheels. In 2007, the dt-range, including the RR1850 stole my hart. But those are very pricy for such heavy wheels.
    So i waited a year and thaha, the R1900 was born.
    I have build up 5000kms with them, including a 5 day stage trough the alpes and boy, they are rock solid. Went over 90km/h and didn't even notice it.
    they make my 6 year old pinarello look en feel like new.

a must buy for somewone who doesn't care about weight.

Favorite Ride:   hills and classics