Easton EA50 wheelsets - clincher

• Spokes: Sapim DB 2.0/1.7/2.0 Stainless steel silver
  • Spoke Count: 20 Front, 24 Rear

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Strengths:    Good, strong, stable, still true after about 1500 mi. on sketchy roads.

Weaknesses:    I haven't gotten the best stopping power from the breaking surface, despite cleaning them regularly.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this purchase. I have been using them for several months of hard riding on my 1990's Trek 1000 (!) and am debating on whether or not to use them in lieu of the ALX 320 set on its much-needed replacement, a 2008 GT carbon/ultegra I found on Craigslist.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Submitted by SlowJoeCrow a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good build quality, nice detailing (milled flange edges, nice skewers) very true out of the box. On the road they roll well and ride as well as I can expect from a low spoke count deep v rim. I consider them strong wheels and at $250 on sale they are good value.

Weaknesses:    The narrow rim is very hard to mount new tires on although it gets easier once the beads stretch. The low spoke count makes re-truing after a broke spoke trickier. The aluminum freehub body will get gouged if you use a stacked cog cassette instead of one with an aluminum spider.

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these in 2009 after demolishing the Alex wheels on my bike. Since then they have been the road wheels and spare wheel on a CX bike. I have had good service from these with the front staying true and smooth rolling and the rear staying true except for the broken spoke in 2010. This was replaced by an LBS and is still true despite my Clydesdale weight and several cyclocross races.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Pro DS

Bike Setup:   Redline Conquest Pro currently, Jamis Satellite previously

Submitted by raylo32 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2010

Strengths:    Rims are strong so eben with a couple of broken spokes they don't wobble too bad.

Weaknesses:    Spokes and/or assembly are totally defective.

Bottom Line:
Total junk. I bought a set of these to upgrade a bike I keep at my parents' house to ride on the holidays. Did my first couple of rides in April 2010, all was good. So the bike sits until Thanksgiving week and I get down here and go for a ride. 5 miles into the ride...PING,a rear drive side spoke snapped mid-span for no reason. Smooth flat road just noodling.

Took it to LBS who installed a new spoke. Next day I am 20 miles into a ride, PING, rear non drive spoke snapped at the nipple. Bent it out of the way and continued.. 10 miles later. PING, a spoke on the front wheel snapped near the nipple. Bent it out of the way and continued. 5 miles later, PING, another non-drive side apoke snapped at the nipple.

So in 1 week I have snapped an equal number of spokes as I have broken in 25 years of serious cycling.

I bought some spare spokes ot repair and try to get through the week and then will try to get Easton to replace... but I don't know if I can find my receipt. I never thought I'd have an issue with this wheelset.

Favorite Ride:   President's Door

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic... nothing but excellent.

Bike Setup:   Nothing special.

Submitted by Eric ONeill a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Strengths:    strong, fast, straight, true, bomb-proof

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs. I've had these wheels for 4000 miles. I've had them up over 51mph (coming down Hogpen Gap). Recently I rode the rear wheel home 6 miles on a flat. I have put 150 miles on since that ill-advised trip and they still roll great. Never had to have them trued. All of that and I paid less than $300 for them.

Purchased At:   On-line

Similar Products Used:   Mavic custom, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Jamis carbon fiber/ ultegra/105 components

Submitted by Wheezybiker6116 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, reasonable price, similar to my American Classic Sprint 350's (I blew out the rear hub and am in the process of having it overhauled).

Weaknesses:    So far none.

Bottom Line:
So far so good. a light weight tire. I read some reviews that said the cassette ate into the hub. I thought the cassette fit tightly against the hub and hopefully this will avoid any damage to the wheel. I have ridden over 300 miles and so far so good.

Favorite Ride:   Bike MS 170 NJ