Easton EA70 X wheelsets - tubular

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The EA70X Wheelset is a hand-built, tubular wheelset designed to withstand the strain of competitive cyclocross and criterium racing. With a 24 front / 28 rear spoke count and burly 26.5 x 30mm aero profile shot-peened aluminum rims, the EA70X takes the punishing impacts of a cyclocross course without denting, and stands stiff under sprinters and their tree-trunk... More quads. Sealed bearing hubs reduce maintenance worries.

Submitted by Andy Leisner a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    A fast indestructible wheel that let's me ride tubulars daily. Tubular wheels that don't have a carbon braking surface!

Weaknesses:    At 1600 grams, they are a little heavier than my carbon wheels, but I can't complain for the price.

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough good things about these wheels. I bought a set originally a my Cyclocross race wheels. I wanted to enjoy the huge advantages of tubulars on my Cross bike without spending too much money.

I raced them for two years and they were indestructible. I put them through normal Cross abuse and crashed on them several times. They never went out of true.

I bought a second set used to use as a training set of tubulars. After experiencing the benefits of tubulars, I refuse to ride clinchers, but riding $2000 wheels every day makes me nervous.

On the road bike the EA70Xs have been great. They are super stiff and climb and sprint well. They are about 150 grams heavier than my carbon wheels, but they are $1500 less! They have a little aero profile and the hubs spin fast.

Favorite Ride:   GTR Pebble Beach / Carmel Point loop

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC90 Aero Tubulars and EA90 SLX Tubulars.

Bike Setup:   Torelli Montefalco with SRAM Force. Tufo Elite Ride 23 tubular tires.

Submitted by Cylcocrossman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffest wheelset you can find! They look awesome! Ebay has some great deals on them right now.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I just used these for the first time in crit, I cant get over how much their stiffness added to my cornering and acceleration! It was night and day between tubies and clinchers. While these are not the lightest wheels out there, people often get to concerned with weight. You need to consider how much of an asset these wheels will be in the corners and how much less energy you will loose from wheel flex. All-in-all you will probably be much faster on these wheels due to their streights. They are much lighter also then many clincher wheelsets.

Favorite Ride:   Crit

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by strathconaman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    Price. Durability. Weight is ok.

Weaknesses:    No aero spokes? Come on easton, even just for the bling factor?

Bottom Line:
I bought these as my cyclocross race wheelset for the season. I have two races on them and this is the report. They came with very even tensioned spokes and perfectly true/round. They spin up quickly and are very laterally stiff. They are nearly the perfect cross wheel. They will likely serve double duty as my crit wheels for the coming summer.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Easton EA70 X replacement hub end cap

Is it possible to obtain a replacement end cap for a C3 front hub in a EA70 X wheelset? If not, what would be the best solution?Read More »

First Tubular Cross Wheelset - '11 Hed Ardennes CL vs. '12 Easton EA70 X

Just getting into cross after years of mtn bike racing and have been researching tubular wheelsets as I hear they are the best in terms of weight, handling etc. for cross. Unfortunately, I am on a budget and cannot go with carbon right out of the gate. I've found a set of used 2011 Hed Ardennes CL ... Read More »

Opinions on Easton EA70 X Tubular as a CX Wheel

Hi I've noted a few folks on the forum were using this wheel for CX, and I have a couple of questions: 1. How have they held up; any out-of-true, hub, or broken spoken issues with these? 2. Are there any 180-190 lb riders on these? Are they stiff enough for someone at that weight like myse ... Read More »