Easton EA90 Aero wheelsets - clincher

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Easton EA90 Aero Road Racing Wheels are light and rigid. The R4 hub has sealed Precision Cartridge bearings with Hybrid seals. Tool free preload adjustment. New 7050 Alloy cassette hub body can easily be switched to be compatible with a Sram, Shimano o

Submitted by Dan a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Roll well
Stay True
Great for training and racing
Climb well
Good customer service at Easton

Weaknesses:    Some were manufactured with defective Sapim spokes

Bottom Line:
I have about 3000 miles on these wheels which I purchased two years ago at the tail end of the season. They rode great for the first 800 or so miles, then a spoke problem (consistent with reports by other folks with these wheels) began to occur. Rear spokes started to randomly break during normal rinding conditions on my Cervelo P2. By "normal" I mean no bumps or high torque stress at the time of the break. I had the first one replaced, with little thought but after finding other online reports of the same problem around 800-900 miles, I began to worry. Sure enough, within the next 60-80 miles, I had two more spokes fail during normal conditions. All on the rear, non-drive side. Apparently, there was a metal fatigue issue with some Sapim spokes used by Easton for this wheel.

I had the wheels sent back to Easton via the out-of-state shop I purchased them from (a pretty good deal given I paid $600 for the set). Although I was disappointed to be without them for 3-4 weeks, Easton relaced both wheels (despite having no issue with the front), and also replaced the rear hub given that other riders had reported issue with this as well. I have trained and raced on these this entire season and have had not problem. I have never had to true them. I'm 6' and weigh 175-180. They have held up very well across a range of riding conditions.

Purchased At:   Out of state BS

Similar Products Used:   Shimano R500 wheelset
Reynolds Strike carbon clincher (race and some longer training rides)

Bike Setup:   Cervelo P2

Submitted by Ted Peters

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    The wheels are looking good; They roll very well, also on bad Beligium roads.
Light and quick: just what i like.
Nice mix between aerodynamics, weight, stiffness and reliability.
Last pair of wheels were Campagnolo Zonda: also relaiable pair and weihgst about the same.
The Aestons can compare.

Weaknesses:    I don not know how fast the aluminium rim will stand because off the brakes.
The Zonda's do roll verry light: excellent.
The Aestons with industrial bearings roll less good and this cannot be corrected in any way.

Bottom Line:
I've bought these wheels new in fabruari 2011, together with mij new bike: Rose Carbon Pro RS.
Together around 7,0 kg for 2.350,-- Euro: Groupe: Sram Force 2011. Colors Black-red-white.
This bike runs very good, fast, comfortable and vivit.
Thanks to the wheels , it looks also fast.
What surprises me is that Rose does not give the opportunity to select Aeston wheels in 2012: There must be a reason, but i dont know which.

Submitted by LEOPARD M2

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    Quick to speed for final sprints or just interval training and ease of speed maintained while riding.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub comes loose after every 2 hr ride but easy to hand tighten right back up. Wheels like to go straight better than they corner (for me anyway).

Bottom Line:
Purchased a pair on 04-20-10 as I wanted something quicker than Dura Ace 7800's. And they are !!
Very comfortable with NO truing after 2 years. However due to my use for intervals, rear spokes have loosened and wheel creaks in 21 and 23 gearwhile spinning. Fast wheels never the less.

Submitted by VeryBikey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, aero and look freaking sweet on my Cervelo.

Weaknesses:    Not enough reviews written on these wheels!

Bottom Line:
I had a hard time finding reviews on these wheels so I thought I should write one now that I've owned them. I have the older Easton/Velomax Orion II on another bike and they have been flawless. And so far, the EA90s are perfect. You'll get bored watching them spin on R4 hubs. They are stiff, light and aero. What more could you ask for?

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Easton Orion II, Mavic wheels, Shimano wheels, Generic Alex(rolf)wheels

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S1, Campy Centaur, Easton EA90 Aero

Submitted by Lee a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    great hubs, look great, and roll like a dream

Weaknesses:    the weight bearing come loose every now and then, but this can be correct very easily with a simple adjustment.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as my first upgrade for my CAAD9, these wheels weigh in around 1545grams and spin great. I put close to 4000 miles on these wheels and never EVER had a problem, just not getting to the point where i need to clean the hubs other than that their golden. I keep checking thinking that they will go untrue on me but they are still rock solid, which is something to say since i hover around 185, not a typical feather weight in the road world. I just sold my bike with these wheels and it make me sad, if you have a chance ride them, they are a great wheel and the price isnt outlandish, plus they look great

Favorite Ride:   Fast and long

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

ea90 slx or ea90 aero?

I can get a really good deal on either of these wheels and i'm having a hard time deciding. I weigh about 150lbs so I dont think my weight will be an issue. The roads around here are fairly rough, it rains a lot so the roads get pretty torn up in the winter. Theres a good mix of flat roads with moun ... Read More »

EA90 Aero spoke "noise", what is it?

Hey there, I have Easton EA90 Aero wheels with about 2,000 miles on them. No problems whatsover, love these wheels. This weekend on a ride here in CO called the Triple Bypass, I started hearing "noise" from the spokes in the rear wheel. Noticeable on both climbs and flats but moreso when climbing ... Read More »

Easton EA90 Aero broken spoke nipple

Had a spoke nipple break on my EA90 Aero rear (non drive side) yesterday. Anybody got some insight? Shuold I replace ALL of the spoke nipples? I Didn't hit anything particularly brutal but did have a couple knocks on uneven pavement. My problem is that now I don't have the confidence in ... Read More »

2010 Easton EA90 Aero's from Performance....bearing adjstment question

First off, I know some people hate Easton and I know my spokes may eventually start to run away:rolleyes: Today was my first ride. Before going out, I tightened up my skewers, loosened the bearing adjuster until I had a little play, and then slowly tightened them until there was no play. Also, my ... Read More »

1forALL? EA90 SL, SLX, or AERO?

Hey guys, I'm a CAT 4 racer that doesn't have a lot of funds to make a very expensive wheel purchase but would like to upgrade my wheels. I can't afford owning a training wheelset and a seperate dedicated racing wheelset. I'm 150lbs and race mainly crits and rolling road races. So my qu ... Read More »