Easton EA90 SLX wheelsets - clincher

3.26/5 (65 Reviews)

• Store Price

Easton EA90 SLX Road Wheel is weapons-grade in terms of voracity and efficiency. The low-profile 90-series road tubeless rim transmits power straight from the spoke to the ground with nearly no energy loss. Easton's game-changing new ECHO hub set rounds o

Submitted by JohnF a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2014

Strengths:    Light with low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Spokes break frequently

Bottom Line:
I’ve had these wheels for two riding seasons now, and like so many others, have had problems with broken spokes on both front and rear wheels. The reason why spokes break so frequently on these wheels is simple; Upon close inspection of the EA90 SLX rims, it was discovered that the diameter for the nipple openings was rather small and the thickness of the rim wall was rather deep compared to rims made by other manufacturers. This combination prevents the nipples from pivoting to match the angle of the spoke, which forces the spoke to bend at the nipple. This bend weakens the spoke and eventually causes the metal to fatigue and break.

This problem was solved by using a round metal file to enlarge the nipple openings on the side to which the nipple needed to pivot, thus allowing the nipple to match the spoke angle. Additionally, suspecting that all of the original spokes were likely compromised, I ordered new set Sapim CXRay spokes for both front and rear wheels.

Submitted by John F

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2014

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Spokes break frequently

Bottom Line:
I’ve had these wheels for two riding seasons now, and like so many others, have had problems with broken spokes on both the front and rear wheels. The reason why spokes break so frequently on these wheels is simple; upon close inspection of the EA90 SLX rims, it was discovered that the diameter for the nipple openings was rather small and the thickness of the rim wall was rather deep compared to rims made by other manufacturers. This combination prevents the nipples from pivoting to match the angle of the spoke, which forces the spoke to bend at the nipple. This bend weakens the spoke and eventually causes the metal to fatigue and break.

The problem was solved by using a round metal file to enlarge the nipple openings on the side to which the nipple needed to pivot, thus allowing the nipple to match the spoke angle. Additionally, on the theory that all of the original spokes were likely compromised, I ordered a new set Sapim CXRay spokes for both front and rear wheels. This has been a rather expensive solution, but happily, I can report that I have been riding on these modified wheels for over a year now without breaking a single spoke!

Submitted by Rod Hammond

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2013

Strengths:    Good looking wheels, very light & very fast.

Weaknesses:    Broken spokes in front wheel.

Bottom Line:
I am having the same problem as many others with broken spokes. They always seem to snap
inside the nipples. My question is has anyone come up with a solution, as I would love to keep
riding these wheels. Maybe different nipples or spokes!! Please let me know guys.

Submitted by Rickorama

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Spin up fast, good looking wheels.

Weaknesses:    The spokes: I weigh 175lbs and I broke spokes constantly, front wheel back wheel they just were not very strong. Because of the low spoke count particularly in the front a broken spoke would cause the wheel to go so out of round, it was tough to road true it just so I could get home. Took my first set back, and the second set did the same thing. I have Easton wheels on my Mt. bike and have had zero problems with them, but I wouldn't spend the money on these, there are too many other choices out there to rick constant trip to the bike shop to get these fixed.

Bottom Line:
Mavic and DT both make wheels that are comparable in price and weight to the EA90SLX wheels. I liked the Easton's when they were working but riding a wobbling wheel 25 miles back home is just not cool.

Submitted by BlurRoubaix

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Light, responsive and comfortable. Easy to adjust preload bearing setting.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This is a short term review. I only have about 400 miles on these wheels, but I like them. So far no issues at all. I did tighten the hub twice,but it just takes a 19mm wrench and about 2 seconds so I like the feature versus others that are very hard to adjust. I find them pretty quick and agile without being too harsh. I weigh 185 and these are pretty stiff wheels given my size. So far, so good!

Replace Rim on Easton EA90 SLX wheels

the brake track on my wheels probably have a year left if that. Would it be better to replace the entire wheel set or is replacing just the rim to something else a good idea? I would like something with a 30mm profile.Read More »

ea90 slx or ea90 aero?

I can get a really good deal on either of these wheels and i'm having a hard time deciding. I weigh about 150lbs so I dont think my weight will be an issue. The roads around here are fairly rough, it rains a lot so the roads get pretty torn up in the winter. Theres a good mix of flat roads with moun ... Read More »

Easton EA90 SLX Wheelset $500 @ Pricepoint

[url=http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=22031]Easton EA90 SLX Wheelset 2011 at Price Point[/url] This is a very good price on these wheels considering what they're going for around other online merchants. I ordered these yesterday. The QC, RD and CustServ is all there should someone ... Read More »

EA90 SLX Flex

I got a new set of Easton EA90 SLX from a friend recently, these are not he Performance Bike wheels, these are the ones that retail for $1050.00 with the ceramic bearings. I had a chance to ride them over the weekend and I was suprised how much flex these wheels had. The front would rub the brakes a ... Read More »

1forALL? EA90 SL, SLX, or AERO?

Hey guys, I'm a CAT 4 racer that doesn't have a lot of funds to make a very expensive wheel purchase but would like to upgrade my wheels. I can't afford owning a training wheelset and a seperate dedicated racing wheelset. I'm 150lbs and race mainly crits and rolling road races. So my qu ... Read More »