Easton EA90 SLX wheelsets - clincher

3.24/5 (70 Reviews)

Easton EA90 SLX Road Wheel is weapons-grade in terms of voracity and efficiency. The low-profile 90-series road tubeless rim transmits power straight from the spoke to the ground with nearly no energy loss. Easton's game-changing new ECHO hub set rounds o

Submitted by Bob Bolton

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2015

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    rear hub seal drags on cassette. Tech says it was installed incorrectly. It was installed by Easton!
This is a BS company who does not stand behind their product. Hard to believe in this day with all our choices they can be A-holes to their customers.

Bottom Line:
Easton is arrogant. Their rear hub/seal design sucks. Do yourself and your friends a favor. Never buy or recommend Easton.

Submitted by MSRider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight and easy rolling

Weaknesses:    Broken Spokes!!!!

Bottom Line:
Spokes break frequently!!!!These wheels are NOT designed for commuter, recreational, and/or everyday riding ...I would rate these a racing wheel...short quick rides. I bought my first set as a promotional from Performance (2012), the discount giving from any seller is not worth the head aches and un-certainty if this wheel will get you to the next mile .Performance worked with me when the first set of 90's (on the first set the front and back wheel spokes broke). Receiving my second set (from Easton 2013) there was an little confidence that these wheels would do better. I just started having trouble with broken spokes the second ( MS 2014) set and coming out of warranty Performance couldn't help, basically I was on my own. I'm a big MS supporter and have participated in many different venues, but its bad when you have to sag up to a bike shop (MS 2105) and have to ask for spoke replacements. Two different rides and twice the front spoke broke I base my review from a set of Richies I had that lasted me >5k miles...I cant get 300 miles from the 90's with out breaking spokes. I would NOT recommend this wheel for any big or endurance ride. If you choose to ride with these wheel and you have had good luck I would recommend to tape front and back replacement spokes to the frame for road side assistance...this you will need....I plan to hang these wheels and go to Mavic's...Again if you have Easton 90's wheels take a repair kit for spoke replacement...Spokes break frequently!!!!...Bike-Fuji Team...I weigh 180...That being said...Don't Buy...Unless you like unplanned adventures

Submitted by John Idyotik

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2015

Strengths:    Strong, fast, light, reliable

Weaknesses:    nerds don't like them

Bottom Line:
Fabulous wheels. Mine have around 6,000 miles and haven't needed truing yet! Bombproof and intelligent design.

Submitted by Lance

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2014

Strengths:    Very light, very stiff, terrific acceleration and cornering, decent clincher ride, (mine are a couple years old and have the ceramic bearings), incredibly strong especially considering their light weight.

Bottom Line:
I have several thousand rough road miles on these and they've never even needed to be trued. I also have the EC90SLX carbon tubular version that I do cyclocross on. They are completely reliable. The spokes are the same Sapim spokes that most other wheel builders use. I don't know what this spoke breaking guy's campaign is about. Buy them, they're great value for the money.
The last mile to my home is a hill that varies between 6 and 9%, the last half mile is 9%. These wheels are highly responsive out of the saddle, which is a treat when you have very little left in the tank.

Submitted by Bob a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight, spin up easily and maintain our inertia, decent looking rim as well.

Weaknesses:    Broken spokes, Broken Spokes, Broken Spokes.

Bottom Line:
I took a chance on these rims at a large Bicycle store that will remain nameless due to one of their staff selling me on these wheels. I expressed concerns that me being a larger rider, I am 5-11 and 220 pounds on a bad day, 210 on a good day. He said not to worry, these were great wheels, spun up nicely, light weight for climbing etc. I said I had noticed that Easton apparently had spoken problems with these wheels, he said had not had any come back. Great, but them, replace a busted Carbon Rim set with these, and promptly let them sit due to the Mavic Equipes that came on my road bike. Fast forward to changing out some gearing this year and wanting to use a set of wheels that do not even have 300 miles on them. Rode these things for 3 weeks including some serious climbing in the mountains of South Carolina/North Caroline Border and up in the Banner Elk, Beech Mountain area. While climbing a switch back called Green River Cove road was two switchbacks from the top and a front spoke just pops and I stop. Wheel is so out of true I cannot proceed. Roll it up on the back wheel, take the shoes off and proceed to walk it up the remainder of the way. No biggie, get the spoke fixed right? Did that, the VERY NEXT ride, I am riding locally and come out of the saddle to charge up a hill, back spoke just pops. This left me with NO CONFIDENCE with this wheel set at all. I went back to the NAMELESS LARGE BIKE STORE CHAIN and spoke t the guy that sold them to me. He completely understood, offered to give me my money back or put me in a set of Mavic Elites, I chose the Mavic Elites. Only have one ride of 15 miles on these but they feel so much sturdier. I know that there are better and more expensive wheel sets out there and may go that route, but I will NEVER buy a set of these or a product of Easton's again. Stick to Baseball bats guys. Even if you were a typical 140 to 160 pound road racer I do not think these rims will hold up based on the flawed design in regards to the spokes here.

Favorite Ride:   Over the Mountain Practice Ride