Easton EA90 TT wheelsets - clincher

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

When a time trial or triathlon comes along and you tuck into the aerobars, the EA90 wheelset is right there with you. The great aerodynamic properties of the EA90 Aero wheelset are all here, plus a special R4 front hub with 50% less frontal exposure. Aerodynamic properties are furthered with 32mm deep rims that are still shallow enough for a hard climb. 16 front/20 rear Sapim bladed silver spokes laced radially front and rear non-drive and 2x drive-side rear. Black alloy nipples front and non...

Submitted by R Price

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2012

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Spoke breakage!

Bottom Line:
Like another reviewer, my previous set of Easton wheels with Velomax were absolutely bullet proof, incredible. These ones, I've had 3 spokes break off at the nipple, only noticed it when I went to grab my bike for a ride, so did it while at rest apparently - weird! So obviously there's a problem with these wheels' nipples/spokes, shame as otherwise they're very sweet.

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride, nice aero wheels. Good quality, I would buy these again.

Weaknesses:    none, these are great wheels.

Bottom Line:
I uses these as my main race wheels.

Submitted by cycocraig a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2011

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    fragile spokes

Bottom Line:
After 3 months of use wheel spokes started to break. First it was front spokes then the rear wheel started to fail.

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   mavic ksyirium

Bike Setup:   Viper

Submitted by alreadyblue a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly light, slightly aero, smooth hubs

Weaknesses:    Cost - $850?
Low quality of Spokes, nipples

Bottom Line:
I got these wheels in March. I've put close to 1000 miles on them by now. I was initially pretty happy with them because I wanted a wheel I could train and race on, and these fit the bill. They are fairly light, somewhat aero, roll smoothly and I was hoping they would be durable.

I guess that was too much to ask for. On Sunday I popped a spoke on the rear wheel, drive side. It was after I had finished my ride and I was on my way back up to my apartment. It snapped right at the nipple. Well I guess you can't just take these in and get them fixed. You or your bike shop has to order the spokes from Easton. Which means this rear wheel is out for a week or two.

Gotta say, Easton wheels use to be bullet proof back when they said Velomax on them. Now they are having all sorts of issues. I'll probably not go back to Easton again for wheels.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   AM Classic 420's
Easton Orion 2
Easton Vista
Bontrager Race x lite

Bike Setup:   2010 Cannondale CAAD 9 - SRAM Rival

Submitted by specializedman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Slightly more aero than most wheels, look reall good, good freehub compared to many wheels, good initial build quality.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy, Bearings and spoke nipples will soon fail.

Bottom Line:
These are my main Road race wheels (have carbon wheels for really big races) I do club races and occasionaly train on these wheels, They are certainly beautiful to look at, they match my bike perfectly but the stickers do wear in time.
As far as performance go's these are pretty good, I don't notice much flex (Im 74kg) but when I put my Reynolds carbon wheels on they certainly feel stiffer so I guess there is some flex in the Eastons.
Some of the parts of the wheels are dodgy, I have replaced all the back wheel bearings since new after they failed at about 1000km old, Also the spoke nipples will break should you try to true the wheels. I replaced the nipples and everything has been fine since then, The stock bearings were probably the fastest bearings I have ever ridden, even after riding a few sets of wheels worth 5 times as much as these, and the free hub doesn't really notch up unlike some of the expensive wheels. I won my first A grade race on these so they must go okay.

Purchased At:   NZ bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano R500 and Ultegra 6600, Reynolds SDV66C, zipp 404.

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Tarmac SL Pro Dura ace.

Easton EA90 TT Road Bike Wheel Set

Orderred a new wheel set [B]Easton EA90 TT Road Bike Wheel Set [/B] [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mD9Tk36IL._AA300_.jpg[/IMG] i got the campy hub since my better bike (2007 giant tcr advanced) has campy i currently have a 2003 mavic campy wheel set on the giant my oth ... Read More »

Easton EA90 TT vs. EA90 Aero

There isn't much of a difference between the two. The TT has two less spokes on the front wheel and the rims are 3mm deeper; also the TT is 30g heavier but that's negligible. Any thoughts or recomendations?Read More »