Easton EA90SL wheelsets - clincher

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Easton EA90-SL Road Wheels - Shimano: The EA90 SL takes the best attributes of the EA90 SLX and adds a few more spokes to give increased lateral stiffness for the bigger, stronger rider...

Submitted by Rob a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light. Love climbing with these things.

Weaknesses:    Needed to wear the rear hub in due to being packed with grease. Nothing major though.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these wheels about 9 months ago to replace my worn Mavic Kyserium Elites.

I opted for these instead of the EA90SLX due to the extra spokes as I am a larger rider (230lbs - 6'8").

I love these wheels. First thing I noticed was how light they are out of the box and they spin very nicely.

I put a fair bit of force on the wheels when out of the seat in climb or last minute sprint. These wheels have held up great so far. They are heaps stiffer than my Mavics. Infact the Mavics felt like I was on a pogo stick going up hills. Very inefficient. These wheels are not only stiffer but also lighter. You would be hard pressed finding a lighter wheel set in this price range.

I used these as my training wheels as well as in road race events, particularly hilly rides. I entered a road ride event earlier this year which was quite hilly and ate up the long climbs. Definately atribute this to these wheels.

The only thing I noticed was when I recieved the wheels, the rear hub was packed with grease and I noticed friction during free wheeling. It took about a month of riding to break them in and now they roll very nicely. Not sure if this is common with brand new Eastons.

I know there are some mixed reviews, particularly with riders breaking spokes. Not sure if I just got a good set out of the bunch or whether the other riders were unlucky enough to end up with lemons.

Based on my experience I would highly recommend these wheels and as a result will look into getting Easton in the future.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Kyserium Elites.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Systemsix 07 (63cm), dura-ace 7800, Easton EA90SL's.

Submitted by Seadog401 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, great bearings. Aded strength of higher spoke count.

Weaknesses:    Experienced my first spoke failure this past weekend on the second day of an MS 150 ride (15 miles into a 65 mile ride). Was able to get a repalcement wheel to finish, but needed to order the spokes (3 weeks).

Bottom Line:
Purchased to replace original Bontrager wheel set that was finally showing its age. Researched for quality, durability, light weight in order to provide a great ride for the 2010 RAGBRAI. the wheels did not dissapoint. Not only completely changed the ride, but also provided me improved acceleration, cruising and downhill speed (43MPH+). Now have over 1500 miles on them and looking forward to much more.

Favorite Ride:   Easton AE90SL

Purchased At:   Open Road

Similar Products Used:   Shimano RS80's and Rolf's.

Bike Setup:   Klein Q Carbon, SRAM Rival shifters/rear derailleur, 11-25 DurAce cassette, SRAM Force compact crank and brakes. Vredestein Fortezza tires.

Submitted by jovac a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Strengths:    Have had these for a couple of years. No problems per se. Never out of true nor broken spokes, nothing like that. I did have a clicking sound coming from rear hub. Easton sent replacement bearing preload adjuster and freewheeel lube no charge. Seems to have resolved the issue. I would say this a good riding, reliable wheel and that Easton has excellent customer service. What else would you want? I am a 185lb recreational rider. Shoot for ~100 mile a week during the summer and really only care about comfort and reliability. These deliver on both fronts.

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
Nice wheels, seem durable.

Favorite Ride:   Anything warm.

Purchased At:   Overstock.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105 and Ultegra level prebuilts. Always going out of true or breaking spokes with these.
Neuvation R28's. Nice solid wheels. Use as backup or with different gearing.

Bike Setup:   2006 Roubaix Comp. Compact Double.

Submitted by hoku4pua a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Weaknesses:    broken spokes, bought these wheels as a christmas present for myself Dec 2009.
Broke a rear wheel drive side spoke, March 2010 waited 3 weeks for new spokes, none available locally, ordered extra spokes also, wheel repaired that same weekend broke another rear drive side spoke. Returned wheel back to shop had it repaired the next weekend, Guess what not one but two rear drive side spokes. What's up with that? Called the bike shop told them I don't want these wheels. They say negative don't do returns. I heard other stories about others with the same problem, to where the Easton factory said the mechanic here is imcompetent and to send wheel to the Easton factory at the owners expense, well wheel returned to owner, and went for a ride, and if another spoke did not break. What the heck just our money they have and we got junk. Don't buy these wheels

Bottom Line:
Good wheels, light for climbing hills and rolls well. But I would'nt but Easton wheels again.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized robaix full carbon with Ultegra components

Submitted by nosaj111 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, fast

Bottom Line:
Great Wheels, roll fast, quite durable
I'm 6'0" ~195. I have had these wheels for about 3000 miles and they are still true.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   bicyclebuys.com

Bike Setup:   CF frame, Campy chorus components.

Easton EA90SL issues

So i got a set of Easton EA90sl clinchers for my trek madone. They were great for about 6 months, then my first spoke broke on the front wheel. Last thread at the nipple. Had the spoke replaced and two weeks later anohter broke spoke....3 later my local LBS sent to Easton for warranty. They sent ... Read More »

EA90SL ok for cross or use something else?

My new cross bike serves a dual purpose as a road bike for me too. I have put 1200 road miles on these wheels this year and they are working well for me. I do a fair amount of hard climbing. I want a second set of wheels so I can quickly switch back to road riding during the week once cross seaso ... Read More »

Easton EA90SL rear wheel drags when coasting

I am installing a new set of Easton EA90SL wheels and noticed that the rear wheel drags when coasting - when I hold the cassette still. It spins just fine when the cassette turns with the wheel. The drag is such that with a slight push the wheel will stop spinning in less than 1-2 revolutions. The s ... Read More »

Easton EA90SL rear wheel drags when coasting

[COLOR=black]I am installing a new set of Easton EA90SL wheels and noticed that the rear wheel drags when coasting - when I hold the cassette still. It rolls just fine when the cassette turns with the wheel. The drag is such that with a slight push the wheel will stop spinning in less than 1-2 revol ... Read More »

Do Rol Sl's = Easton Ea90sl's?

I have had my Easton EA 90sl's for over a year now and up to this point, absolutely loved them. However, I've been breaking spokes on these things non-stop (5 in the last two months). THe LBS is telling me that the Easton's are prone to fatigue and that breaking spokes will continue. I'm now lo ... Read More »