Easton EC90 SL wheelsets - clincher

3.52/5 (21 Reviews)

The Easton EC90 SL 38mm Wheels dont need to brag when their performance does all the talking.

Submitted by John a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, spun well initially, decent braking given carbon surface

Weaknesses:    Multiple broken spokes, freehub went bad within months, carbon bearings didn't last entire season, loose hubs became recurrent problem

Bottom Line:
Bought this wheelset because of the advertised benefits-strong, good braking, lightweight, carbon clincher. Was very happy with them for the first 2-3 months. They stayed relatively true, braked well, spun fast and very smoothly. Honeymoon was then over; they became plagued with constant problems. First the freehub went out; fortunately my LBS got this warrantied. Then spokes started braking on a regular basis. Seemed like I had a broken spoke every month. Broke five spokes on both front and rear wheels; I weigh 168lbs and this is the only wheelset that has ever broken a spoke under me. None of my LBS's carry these spokes so they had to be ordered, which puts the wheel out of action for at least a week, often longer. While all this was going on, the hubs started developing problems. They started to get sloppy; LBS said that the bearings needed replaced. Paid a bunch to replace the ceramic bearings, which lasted for several months before they started to become wobbly again. Again, LBS said bearings were cooked. This time, I told them to just put some inexpensive steel bearings in. I finally threw in the towel after another spoke broke. Fortunately my LBS got them warrantied and they are supposed to send me a replacement set. I'm hoping these wheels were just lemons, but given past problems I will have very low tolerance for problems with the replacements. On the bright side, I never had any braking surface problems, but I ride mostly on the flats and rollers; no mountain descents where I live.

Similar Products Used:   shimano dura-ace, bontrager race-lite, hed stingers,

Bike Setup:   trek madone

Submitted by Jeff G a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    Great all-round wheel, ceramic bearing hubs for the cost of metal with others. Nice aero dish, no weight / load limit on the rider for warranty issues (I'm a bigger guy), good looking (IMO). When I needed service Bell / Easton was top-notch to deal with! While brake surface is not as good as Al, still works well even wet.

Weaknesses:    as another reviewer commented i too had a front wheel lamination issue on a big descent - nothing to freak out over but it had to be addressed. Not as light as some other carbons

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheel set to replace my Al Shimano wheels. Wow what a world of difference, they roll for ever! Yes you should monitor the bearing play every 500 miles or so but that is good bike maintenance practice regardless. I had an issue with the front wheel and Scott / Easton RMA'ed the wheel no question or receipt even asked for. Two weeks later i had a brand new whee/hub, extra skewer and even replaced the swiss stop brake pads - great customer service!

Purchased At:   Western Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Kestrel Talon

Submitted by chris linback a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very smooth, dampens uneven road surfaces well. Smoothest riding clinchers I have used.

Very stiff, due in part to the exceptionally wide bracing angles. Also the torsional rigidity of deep carbon. Drive side flange has been pushed over so far to maximize bracing angle that my rear derailleur rubbed against the spokes in 1st gear - no problem, a half turn of the derailleur limit screw is all it took. I cannot make my computer magnet or brakes rub in hard hill sprints, even when I exaggerate the thrashing.

Pulse free braking due to perfectly round rims.

Fairly aero, but not like a super deep rim. I do not get blown around riding these on windy days.

Weaknesses:    Graphics are loud, if they work for your bike, great, if not, they can't be removed because they are painted on - not decals.

Bottom Line:
They do everything well - smooth without being mushy; stiff without being harsh; (semi) aero without being heavy.

Favorite Ride:   The next one.

Similar Products Used:   Campi Hyperon - slightly stiffer, slightly less comfy. Zipp 404T - beautiful except for the glue. Rolf Vigor - harsh but not stiff.
Mavic Ksyrium - stiff but harsh & unaerodynamic

Bike Setup:   Time NXR, Campi Record 11, Zero Gravity.

Submitted by jathanas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, spin well.

Weaknesses:    Braking performance.

Bottom Line:
I want to warn others about this wheelset before they lay their hard earned.

The front rim flared up after a long descent. I no longer trust the braking performance of this product.

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404 clincher

Bike Setup:   BMC Team Machine SLR01
Campy Super Record

Submitted by GILBERTO RODRIGUEZ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, ceramic bearings, looks

Weaknesses:    Hubs become loose all the time, rear wheel flex, possible danger with rim overheating. Warranty policies suck!

Bottom Line:
I have had these for little less than a year and i can say there have been numerous trips to the bike shop to have the hubs tightened and looked at. I feel a lot of flex on the rear wheel as well, lots of rubbing with the brake pads. Recently did Gran Fondo L.A and almost had the worst accident on the hills of Mulholland Dr. It seems the brake pads over heated the rear rim and my tube blew during a fast descent, almost crashed hard, i could not stop since the tire was out of the rim, tube was stuck on the cassette, messed up the wheel big time. I sent it to Easton to find out that they will not cover warranty on that incident, almost killed my self due to rim overheating and they do not believe what happened. Very disappointing.

Favorite Ride:   All- San Diego