Easton Tempest II wheelsets - clincher

4.44/5 (18 Reviews)

Tempest II - Light weight and aero? Yes..the all new Tempest II is the wheel of choice for the road racer or triathlete. The deep 30mm rim utilizes a special aluminum alloy that allows it to be unbelievably light, so you don''t suffer the weight penalty associated with most deep section rims. Elliptical profile aero spokes enhance the aero advantage. Tempest II also features our new R Series hubs. This combination of ultra-light weight and enhanced aerodynamics make Tempest the perfect wheel for the time trial or the peloton. Available starting Spring 2003.

Submitted by Loui a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Very Light and strong, aero

Weaknesses:    They stopped making them

Bottom Line:
Totally agree with the last post. These are the best wheels I have ever ridden. I got a faster PB than on my zipps!!!

Favorite Ride:   P2

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404

Bike Setup:   Which one?

Submitted by RoadLoad

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Bombproof. Stiff. Fast. Good looking.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Today, my awesome Tempest II rear wheel gave up the ghost - three spokes came through the rim. 6,953.02 mostly commuting miles, of hauling my 195lbs butt all over the town, hill and dale, and back. It been great. I'd buy another set if they still made them.

Submitted by nicolasb65 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth running hubs. Aerodynamic. Good looking.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Nices wheelset. Very smooth and silent hubs. They stay true. Light for a deep rim design. Nice non machined rim.

Purchased At:   H&S Bike discount

Similar Products Used:   Citec Wheel, Alex 220

Bike Setup:   Quintana Roo Kilo (the blue one) with Ultegra.

Submitted by jnsfleming a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Wieght, all around performance characteristics, solid feel

Weaknesses:    Quality control, but maybe that is why these were on Ebay.

Bottom Line:
I bought these to lighted up the wheels a bit, and discovered just how much fun a quality set of rims can be. Particularly on hills (up and down) these fly! And they feel extremely solid in turns and at high speeds. Changing flats is easier than my previous rims. They've stayed true since day one, which is now a long time ago. I'd did have to work a couple of very small metal shavings out of inside of one rim, which made me initially concerned about the quality. Great set of wheels for all around top end performance.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Lemmon

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Raliegh R700, FSA Carbon crank, Ultegra drivetrain and brakes.

Submitted by hayhyde a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    They are trash and easton doesn't care

Bottom Line:
Road them for two months worth of training before the rear drive side spoke pulled through the rim during an excelleration causing the hud to also grind to pieces. Sent them back to easton, who held on to them for six months before calling my bike shop to tell them I needed to pay for the repair. Luckily the bike shop went to bat for me and got me a replacement that my wife now rides.

Purchased At:   Bikes Inc.