Formula Xero XR-1 Aero Road Wheelset wheelsets - clincher

4.07/5 (45 Reviews)

Awesome stiffness, strength, and aerodynamics – Xero hubs laced to machined Velocity Deep-V 700c clincher rims, decreasing wind resistance and improving lateral rigidity. Great race-day wheels for time trials or triathlon!

Submitted by Chris B

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Stiff

Weaknesses:    Cassette spindle chews up

Bottom Line:
Bought these used for $35 for both wheels. They have stayed true through all the miles I have put on them and the bearings are still very smooth. Great set of wheels for the price (the actual price, not the 35 I paid)

Submitted by Billy

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, stay true, looks cool, can take abuse, sturdy.

Weaknesses:    None. Honestly I have had no problems with it so far, and I have had them for a while, jumping curbs and stuff.

Bottom Line:
I bought a front wheel for $30 used. It was really new and the guy apparently didn't care much about letting it go. I had an old araya rim in the front of my old cannondale, and I have to say that this rim feels so much lighter. It makes it so much easier to climb hills. I've been jumping curbs fine, going over speed bumps at 30. However, I used my own shimano skewer for the rim so I can't argue with those that say that the skewers suck.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale

Purchased At:   Garage sale

Bike Setup:   Cannondale sr300. Araya rim in back, suntour cyclone derailleurs, xr1 front rim, nitto forks, cannondale drop bars, avocet seat, hutchinson fusion 3 tires, forte brand flat pedals.

Submitted by hsttrek a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Strengths:    Price, weight, rolling resistance, low spoke count look

Weaknesses:    Replaced rear skewer with Shimano since it would not stay clamped on my bike.

Bottom Line:
Working on my 3rd season at 3,500 miles with these wheels. 6'/180 lb rider here - have never encountered flex even on my 1 mile hill climb training route. I try to avoid bad "cobble like" roads on my 2x weekly rides. Have never trued or tensioned the spokes...I do check the tension via ping test every month or so.

Favorite Ride:   All recently paved roads

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek / C'dale house brands - all popped spokes.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Eclipse, Chorus group, FSA Compact crank

Submitted by Jimmy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Price, weight, aero, strong

Weaknesses:    none so far, time will tell.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 125 pound climber, so these wheels suit me well. I didn't hesitate to buy them, when I found the weight and aero profile and price. These wheels seem strong, I've hit a few potholes and nothing has phased them. At 1510g these things climb so well compared to my first set up with stock xero xsr-3's. After the first 100m and the tyical pings were done, these wheels felt great. I've really put the hammer down on the flats and ascents. Haven't had any problems with them, so if you are looking for a lightweight wheelset with an aero profile for under 250$ these are your wheels. Not sure if i would feel that way if I were a 210lbs rider..but luckily im not..haha

Favorite Ride:   45 mile country loop

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   xero xsr-3

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant TCR C-3 w/ stock everything but Xero xr-1 wheels and vredstein tires.

Submitted by Gil a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, affordable, fast, aero, great looking

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I purchased these wheels to lose some weight. Although my Cadex frame is lugged carbon, it is almost 19 yrs old, so it's on the heavy side. Compared to my RD-80s, which are about 1750gms, the XR-1s save me almost 200 gms. These roll very good, and so far the spokes have been fine after about 500 miles. I've ridden over railroad crossings and potholed roads, and these thoings still roll great! For this price, who needs to spend mondo $$ on Mavics?

Favorite Ride:   long rollers

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Giant Cadex 980C, Campy Chorus, KForce cranks, Thoork saddle, ITM bars/stem, Origin Propulse seatpost