FSA RD 400 wheelsets - clincher

2.71/5 (48 Reviews)

• TubolaroTM rims with round cross section
  • 7075 aluminum cassette body
  • Elegant,medium height flanges strengthen spoke structure
  • Fedelini stainless spokes by Wheelsmith
  • Hidden nipples in 7075 aluminum

Submitted by macchio a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Strengths:    deep aero profile, seems lightweight (esp. compared to the cosmos), inexpensive, matches the ultegra sl group well

Weaknesses:    horrendous reputation and previous reviews

Bottom Line:
saw the horrible past reviews on this wheelset. was looking to downsize my overflow of bikes so i took a risk and did a partial trade+cash (an old specialized p1) for these as i was looking for a lighter wheelset (i previously road mavic cosmos)

i never believed in the notion of a "faster" wheelset as i attributed speed to the rider (and + i've had limited experience with newer wheelsets). however, after swapping these wheels for the cosmos, i noticed notably faster speeds on flats, climbs, and descents on the ol' cateye mity 8.

of course, i've only owned these for a few months.. so maybe the hub and strength problems will come later. ill cross my fingers and hope they stay the way they are, with no need for service just yet. i am a relatively light rider (6' 165 lbs) so hopefully this will help alleviate any potential problems.

Favorite Ride:   griffith park

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   mavic cosmos, mavic cxp 30s, old wolber box rims, old ambrosia box rims, velocity track wheelset

Bike Setup:   coppi ultra foco
ultegra sl group
fsa rd400 wheelset

Submitted by Džoko a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought FSA RD 400 one year ago. Finally i see them fuc.ing great , fast and hard!! Really race wheel set!! I had no problem fduring this year and i can feel the transmition of force on the czech worst asphalt!!Really no problem, and I am 1.80 m, 75 kg!!! I have to recomend it!!!!

Favorite Ride:   FSA rd 400

Submitted by Kyle Valenta a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    I have sent these wheels back to FSA three times. I have broken spokes on them on ten occasions. I am not a heavy rider (165lbs).

Bottom Line:
These wheels are the worst. I have never had such a bad experience with this wheel set. I would never recommend them.

Submitted by tcd5bikes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    Low price, low weight, they do look great too.

Weaknesses:    Noisy, creaking, sqeaking. Questionable durability; spoke breakage and rim cracks.
Worst of all is the poor customer service.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the RD400 wheels, in late 2003, based on FSA's good reputation at the time. $400 is a good mid-range price for the average cyclist.
Within 3 months of use, the rear wheel started breaking spokes. I returned the wheel to FSA , who replaced it under warranty. Now both the front and rear rims have developed cracks which are up to an inch in length. The cracks are spreading outward from most spoke clearance holes.Luckily I noticed this before the wheel weakened too much. When reporting this to FSA, they know about the cracking rims and the spoke breakage problems. However, they will not extend their warranty to cover my wheels which have the above mentioned problems they they are aware of. The wheels perform adequately, but not spectacular.

Favorite Ride:   Giant TCR Composite

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   performace fuego,mavic sup wheels built by Colorado Cyclist

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Composite, 9sp Shimano Durace Ace/Ultegra mix, FSA Gossamer crank, FSA C-16 F Derailleur.

Submitted by sestmily a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Light, durable spooks, holds tru

Weaknesses:    Freebody hub soft

Bottom Line:
Purchased as part of complete bike. I am 6 foot and 185 lbs. I put just under 6000 miles on these rims in the first 15 months I owned them. The only problem I had was when my cassette cogs had gotten torqued into the freebody hub at the 8 or 9 month mark. Another review mentioned this same problem. I replaced the freebody hub for with a new/better one for $40 and had no other problems since. The first time I had to have these wheels trued was at the same 6000 mile, 15 month mark after I hit a deep hole - bad enough to take me down and separating my left shoulder. Even after that they weren't terribly out of true and could still be ridden.

Favorite Ride:   Anything over Usery Pass

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Carbon frame with full Dura Ace groupo except for Truvativ Giga X Pipe crank.