FSA RD-88 wheelsets - clincher

• Propeller loose bearing hubs
  • Wheelsmith straight guage spokes

Submitted by Martin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2013

Strengths:    round spokes

Weaknesses:    weight 1970g with skewers (180g/pair)

Bottom Line:
I have bought them after my DT Axis 1.0 broke on pothole, and they seem identical.
After just month they told me in service center that the hub is loose, so they tightened it.
Anyway I just broke these FSA today on another pothole, so I am not very happy about it. In 45km/h I entered like 2 inches deep gap, and the rear rim is now visibly bent :(
They are just wheels, nothing extra to say about them really.
I like the silver rounded spokes, because they look better than those flat ones in black color I had on DT Axis.

Favorite Ride:   racing in city

Similar Products Used:   DT Axis 1.0

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac

Submitted by healeykit a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Straight pull spokes, very strong

Weaknesses:    Weight - most sites list these wheels as being 1800g but they weighted 1957g on my wifes food scale with rim tapes - could be the weight of skewers.

Bottom Line:
A little on the heavy side but well built with nice design details and very robust. I bought these as cross wheels and after two races they are still perfectly straight. The wheels came true, round and well tensioned right from the box.

On a side note chucks bikes was excellent to deal with - wheels shipped right away and freight was reasonable with USPS Express (not usually the case for us in Canada)

Favorite Ride:   Gatineau Park Loop

Purchased At:   chucksbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Easton Circuits

Xero XSR-3

Bike Setup:   Giant TCX - totally stock

Submitted by kjuel2 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    The weight does not mean that I lose the other guys uphill, and it feels very solid... but, again, i've got little to compare with.

Weaknesses:    none. Except, they don't really have a bling factor

Bottom Line:
I have had this wheelset for about 4 months, and, so far, there have been no major issues. I do not really have anything to compare with, but this wheelset is much better than my dad's Trek 1400's Bontrager Selects. It feels stiffer- I can carve into turns better.

Favorite Ride:   any big hill around Brisbane

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select, noname 650c wheels

Bike Setup:   Alum Peugeot Helium frame with 105 gears (and TA 46t cyclocross chainring+15-25 casette becasue of gearing restrictions). FSA RD-88 wheels, Ultegra pedals, Vittoria tyres, and Blackburn Delphi computer

Submitted by Robert Alcasabas a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Nice graphics that look slick as I am riding, according to my friends.Black spokes and hubs look awesome. High speed handling is tolerable and no flexing of rims noted on hard accelerations.

Weaknesses:    These don't spin up as easily as my Velocity Spartacus Pros, but they handle well enough. I understand that this is a BUDGET wheelset, so I get what I pay for.

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of FSA RD-80's for my second bike which is a 2004 TREK 2200. I was really trying to build up a budget time trial training bike so I could have a change of pace from my number one rig - a 2006 FELT F55.

Favorite Ride:   Texas Hill Country