Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelsets - clincher

4.31/5 (36 Reviews)

With an aggressive hi-tech look and low weight the Racing 1 is a lively wheel that adapts easily to all racing conditions. 26mm high aluminium rims are made lighter by exclusive triple facing treatment. The rim's upper bridge has no spoke holes increas

Submitted by Vitix2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Strengths:    Strong...you can torque them all-day without issue. Slippery without causing crosswind issues

Weaknesses:    Upgrade over the Racing 3 not worth the price increase...IMHO.

Bottom Line:
This is my third set of Fulcrums and having stepped up over the years from the R5 to R3, and now to the R1s, I feel like I have finally found the point at which there is a discernable aero benefit. If you ride around at average speeds above 18 MPH I think you'll be able to appreciate the fact that the R1s slice through the wind with relative ease.

They are quite rigid, even for me at 250 lbs. If I run more than 95 psi they can turn harsh after an hour or so. That said, that same stiffness means I can torque them un-mercilessly. You can also lean them into turns and they shoot you through the apex really clean, straight, and tight. Their rigidity also makes them great to stand on when climbing steep grades or when charging over rolling hills. However, I would refer to them as good climbing wheels. This is less the fault of the wheels than it is the mid profile design. They are light enough, but nothing accelerates or climbs like a set of quality low profile hoops. I also own a set of Campy Neutron Ultras and they accelerate and climb way better and are more comfortable. But, you've got to work a lot harder at higher speeds to whiz along at a steady clip.

I got mine on sale from competitive cyclist for $699 (I think they were clearing out all fulcrum products). At that price they were a great deal. At the typical MSRP of about $1K to $1.2K I think they're overpriced. Put another way, the less expensive R3s are less aero, but still stiff, bombproof, and far more comfortable. While I like the R1s I would not buy them over the R3s again, regardless of price. I don't race anymore, and the R1s are more race wheel than multi-purpose wheel, which is where my interest is these days.

As for the R5s, I found them to be decidedly low end. They are strong...and stiff enough, but I always felt like they were holding me back...like they made me work too hard for speed. I've relegated them to my cross bike, winter road training, and roller workouts.

If your racing and don't want to pay for carbon hoops the R1s would be great. For daily training and sportive riding, I'd stick with th e R3s.

Favorite Ride:   I like em all!

Purchased At:   Competitivecyclist.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pros with Campy Chorus & American Classic hubs; Campy Protons (they were great for the price and era...better than the R5s IMHO); Campy Neutron Ultra; Campy Zonda (fast as heck, but way to flexible for me); Fulcrum Racing 1, 3, and 5 (the Racing 3 offers the best performance for the dollar and is the most practical...IMHO).

Bike Setup:   2012 Ridley Damocles w/ Chorus; 2010 Ridley Excaliber w/ Chorus; 2008 Pegoretti Marcelo w/ Record; 2008 Merckx SXM w/ Chorus; 2000 Debernardi Thron w/ Chorus; 2001 Olmo Gara Pista w/ Miche Primato; 2014 Black Mountain Cross w/ a mixture of everything.

Submitted by berryrice

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, Low Rolling resistance, Tough, Good balance weight to strength ratio, Fast

Weaknesses:    Price, hub adjustments, free hub

Bottom Line:
I have the older version with the propeller style aluminum spokes. I've had these for 3 years and have been awesome. The wheels simply have the lower rolling resistance of any wheelset I've had up to date (various Mavic kysriums, shimano, cane creek, etc). The secret to low rolling resistance....the use of old school ball bearings and cones. Sealed bearings are cheap and easy to manufacture and service but at the price of ultimate rolling resistance...Mavic is the best company that does sealed hubs btw. But you have to KNOW how to adjust these hubs if they come out of adjustment as mine did after the first 100 miles. I've worked bike shops in the 90's, so I know how to correctly adjust these puppies. Since then, they have been rock solid! One note...since I'm from the old days of tightening down quick release levers firmly....these, like many lightweight, aluminum axel wheels...are very sensitive to how tight you lock down your QR's. They are spendy but I feel like they were worth it and I did upgrade to ceramic bearings which I feel didn't make a huge difference but only cost 50 bucks for the upgrade by doing it myself buying loose ceramic ball bearings.

Submitted by Hisham

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    D'Best.... far better than cheaper carbon wheels.
Climbs very well..... and great for those with body-weight more than 85Kg.

Weaknesses:    Almost none.
Printing & design can improve.

Bottom Line:
None.

Submitted by Nik in California a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, consistent response, good balance of stiffness and ride comfort. Look great!

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than their advertised weight and after 2 seasons of approx. 14-15,000k of cycling...I will need maintenance with spokes and minor misc. tweaks. Oh yes, I needed to purchase zipp liner/tape for the inner rims to protect my tubes from future flats. Manufacturing flaw inside the rim that would puncture my tube--two pinholes.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good wheel that brings consistent and dependable performance. I've had some serious 'high speed' spills on my Fulcrums and after close inspection...l was back in the saddle and keeping up with my riding buddies. Plus, they look very 'Formula 1' on my R5 SL with my SRAM Red components. I bought my new Fulcrum 1's via private sale for $600. A great buy to say the least!

Submitted by Bargie

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Stiff fast. Solid excellent value have two sets

Bottom Line:
Fantastic wheelset, bought my first set 3 years ago have never had an issue, run true, fast wheels and solid. I weigh 95kegs so they have stood the test of time. Bought another set on special for race day but still haven't taken out of the box, no need as original still great training or racing.Best wheelset at this price bracket I have used.

Anybody used non-2 way fit Fulcrum Racing 1 or 0s tubeless?

Have a new set of Fulcrum Racing Zeros, non-2 way fit. Seems like you could install tubeless valves, mount a set of tubeless tires and install sealant and be fine. Anyone done this?Read More »

2008 Fulcrum Racing 1 vs. 2011 Mavic Elite

I just bought a new bike and it came with a Mavic Elite wheelset. My old bike had Fulcrum Racing 1's (2008 version) with the thicker spokes and weigh about 1630 grams. I'm unsure whether to swap out the Mavic Elite's for my old Fulcrums and I don't want to ride the Mavics without knowing for sure t ... Read More »

Fulcrum racing 1's vs Shamal ultras

Hi I have a set of Fulcrum racing 1's and have a chance to get a set of 2011 Shamal ultras for 750, just want to get peoples opinion on if it would be worth the upgrade. Would I see a difference for the 750 or just stick with what I have. Was also thinking of getting some carbon clinchers. Thanks fo ... Read More »

What is this Cat 1, 2, 3 stuff in regards to racing?

Granted, I'm new to road bikes, as I'm sure some of you are aware, and still relatively dumb/learning. Not saying I'm going to be making a push for entry into next year's Tour de France, but I'm curious to know what you are all talking about when you refer to yourselves as Cat 1 racer and such? ... Read More »

Fulcrum Racing 1 on Wilier

Hi - I purchased the Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo stock version and my bike is in the process of being delivered. I was looking at upgrade options and my bike store suggested upgrading the wheels from Fulcrum 5 to Fulcrum 1. He is willing to give me the upgrade for an additional $550. Should I ... Read More »