Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelsets - clincher

4.03/5 (33 Reviews)

The Fulcrum Racing 3 is right at home on the race course but it is still plenty durable for everyday training. This new version features updated aesthetics a larger drive side hub flange for more efficient power transfer Shimano 11-speed compatibility and a new eccentric quick-release.

Submitted by Georgie D

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2014

Strengths:    Good value, light (for the price) and nice to ride.

Weaknesses:    Major weakness from my point of view: Impossible to mount tyres, very disappointing. These wheels now sit on my garage floor, only a couple of months old. I am a small female rider with relatively small hands.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these wheels unless you have hands/thumbs of steel. Otherwise you will cry tears of rage the first time you are on a solo ride and have a puncture!

Submitted by Sean Murphy

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    Value, strength, looks

Weaknesses:    Tubeless tires/wheels very difficult to dismount/mount. Needs a few stiff tire levels.

Bottom Line:
Bought 2 year ago from LBS, no problems. About 3000 km on them. Stiff enough to not flex when my 86kg body is bending them on a climb. Don't know what a 'silent' cassette is, this thing is loud (I use it to alert pedestrians or other cyclist, or to scare off dogs - just stop peddling). No problems with skipping - seem to engage quickly and consistently. The white hubs look 'interesting' with the gray Obea frame, not unpleasant - yet uncommon. Work great with Campy Chorus 11s.

Hutchinson tires were incompatible with me - can't keep air in them, or sidewalls in one piece. Only run Maxxis Padrone - only get 1500 km from a set, but they have been (almost) flat free. The theory that tubeless don't get pinch flats is incorrect - they do. You can also patch holes in tubeless tires, just like a car tire (sand paper, glue, tube patch).

I'm pleased I bought the Fulcrum 3's, and really like tubeless wheels.

Submitted by Tony Loh a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, good rolling, no need rim tape, looks, price

Weaknesses:    Perhaps slightly heavy

Bottom Line:
Bought on 25June2012. Been eyeing for a while for it as not many suited my budget.
I'm 70kg. Free wheeling on air lasted 1m35s. Where as my other wheel Soul S2.0 did 2m45s.
Can't compare becos many thousands of km on it already ;-)

Ridden 700km, the free wheeling ratchet sound is still not regular n loud enuf yet :-)
Just finished Ipoh Malaysia Century Ride 2012 last weekend. It is still very true even aft going
into uneven road n potholes. I'm amazed! I'm using Conti GP4000 RED tires on it :-)

Purchased At:   Seng Bee

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Redmetal 5 on my Giant XTC NRS2

Bike Setup:   Primavera Trinity full carbon with Shimano 105 group set.

Submitted by Pat

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Very durable. I am 110kgs and have ridden over 3000kms without a single problem over some rough roads and through plenty of potholes.

Weaknesses:    I have the tubeless/clincher version and some tyres (e.g. Vredestein and Conti's) are almost impossible to fit. Schwalbe worked best.

Bottom Line:
Overall I am very happy with these wheels

Submitted by Nick Harrison a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great looks, Campy reputation, light, fast acceleration, sound great, strong.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub internals suspect

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels on the recommendation of my LBS - he is a Campy purist and he got me them for a great price. Out of the box they look great and show all the marks of quality engineering. First ride was a non starter. Out of the driveway and up the road a little the drivetrain was skipping and clunking - I thought the shifting was off so I went home and checked, nope, not that. Tried again and it seemed that the freewheel was not engaging, more clunking skipping and strange noises. So back to the LBS they went. They test rode the bike and could not replecate the issue. The cause was put down to some sticky grease or something not letting the pawls engage and I was told to just ride the thing - if it went bad they were happy to warranty it. So, it still does it once in a while - maybe once a ride- after freewheeling for a short distance and never under high pedal pressure. The LBS guy actually bought a set of Campy wheels of similar quality for himself and said that he had experienced it too. After I have ridden them some more they are going to go in for a major service, I don't spend this kind of cash lighlty and I want these wheels to last.

On my first real ride some clutz in the paceline did not call out a deep hole and I hit it full on, the guy behind me too. He flatted but I was OK. Got home and discovered a dented rear rim. After a little swearing I got out a pair of smooth jawed adustable wrenches and got the rim bake into shape. LBS put the tiniest tweak into a spoke to put the wheel straight and all is well again. I feel a slight hop on breaking but that's it.

Favorite Ride:   Thursday night