Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelsets - clincher

4.1/5 (31 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Fulcrum Racing 3 is right at home on the race course but it is still plenty durable for everyday training. This new version features updated aesthetics a larger drive side hub flange for more efficient power transfer Shimano 11-speed compatibility and a new eccentric quick-release.

Submitted by Tony Loh a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, good rolling, no need rim tape, looks, price

Weaknesses:    Perhaps slightly heavy

Bottom Line:
Bought on 25June2012. Been eyeing for a while for it as not many suited my budget.
I'm 70kg. Free wheeling on air lasted 1m35s. Where as my other wheel Soul S2.0 did 2m45s.
Can't compare becos many thousands of km on it already ;-)

Ridden 700km, the free wheeling ratchet sound is still not regular n loud enuf yet :-)
Just finished Ipoh Malaysia Century Ride 2012 last weekend. It is still very true even aft going
into uneven road n potholes. I'm amazed! I'm using Conti GP4000 RED tires on it :-)

Purchased At:   Seng Bee

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Redmetal 5 on my Giant XTC NRS2

Bike Setup:   Primavera Trinity full carbon with Shimano 105 group set.

Submitted by Pat

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Very durable. I am 110kgs and have ridden over 3000kms without a single problem over some rough roads and through plenty of potholes.

Weaknesses:    I have the tubeless/clincher version and some tyres (e.g. Vredestein and Conti's) are almost impossible to fit. Schwalbe worked best.

Bottom Line:
Overall I am very happy with these wheels

Submitted by Nick Harrison a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great looks, Campy reputation, light, fast acceleration, sound great, strong.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub internals suspect

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels on the recommendation of my LBS - he is a Campy purist and he got me them for a great price. Out of the box they look great and show all the marks of quality engineering. First ride was a non starter. Out of the driveway and up the road a little the drivetrain was skipping and clunking - I thought the shifting was off so I went home and checked, nope, not that. Tried again and it seemed that the freewheel was not engaging, more clunking skipping and strange noises. So back to the LBS they went. They test rode the bike and could not replecate the issue. The cause was put down to some sticky grease or something not letting the pawls engage and I was told to just ride the thing - if it went bad they were happy to warranty it. So, it still does it once in a while - maybe once a ride- after freewheeling for a short distance and never under high pedal pressure. The LBS guy actually bought a set of Campy wheels of similar quality for himself and said that he had experienced it too. After I have ridden them some more they are going to go in for a major service, I don't spend this kind of cash lighlty and I want these wheels to last.

On my first real ride some clutz in the paceline did not call out a deep hole and I hit it full on, the guy behind me too. He flatted but I was OK. Got home and discovered a dented rear rim. After a little swearing I got out a pair of smooth jawed adustable wrenches and got the rim bake into shape. LBS put the tiniest tweak into a spoke to put the wheel straight and all is well again. I feel a slight hop on breaking but that's it.

Favorite Ride:   Thursday night

Similar Products Used:   Easton Vista, Mavic Aksium, Mavic Open Pro

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR C2, Ultegra 10, Raceface crank, Easton bars and stem, SLR saddle

Submitted by Josh Jardine a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, build quality, very stiff

Weaknesses:    pricey to repair

Bottom Line:
Love em. I bought my set of 3's with 2 seasons on them. They look great and roll even better. I did pop a spoke on my second ride but I don't blame the wheel maybe just the previous rider. They get up to speed very well and maintain speed nicely. I expected top speed to increase but that wasn't the case...just got to the top speed in a shorter amount of time.
Very stiff, cannont flex them to rub my brakes like previous wheels used. I can't recommend them enough.

Favorite Ride:   Sand Hollow

Purchased At:   classified ad

Similar Products Used:   cole, xero

Bike Setup:   fuji, 105/ultegra comps, 3t bars

Submitted by Pengu a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, weight and hopefully more durable after the first month of use..!!

Weaknesses:    Poor reviews, spokes breaking and should possibly have a sign stating no fat riders (me included)and a max rider weight limit

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels as an upgrade for some Campy Scirocco's which came with my Ribble. Whilst i'm not the lightest guy at 90+kg I do expect a certain degree of quality for my bucks. These have been raced on three times including a two day tour and three training rides and already they have had two visits to the bike shop. Within the first day I notice play on the rear freehub bearings. Took them back to be told the cassette was loose and that they'd tightened it up. To be honest it was still the same, so took it elsewhere to be told that the bearing was naff.
I guess my gripe wasn't so much that the wheels were defective out of the shop...but also the shops response.
Got back from a training ride 3.5 weeks after being sold them only to find one of the rear spokes and pulled and come loose making the rear wheel warped. To be fair to the shop they've just taken the rear to fix and have asked for the front to check too.
I'm all for keeping the local bike shop in business, but if they cannot check products before leaving the shop then I'd find it hard to pay the extra 200 bucks for the same product compared with the price online.
The wheels are an upgrade, they are good and lighter than my old wheels, they are a campy product labelled as Fulcrum, they are extremely fast and look the dogs when rolling.
I've scored them slightly low due to these teething probs, and will reassess aftera few more months of use.

Favorite Ride:   Pickering Brook, Perth