Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelsets - clincher

Racing5 are the entry-level wheels in the Fulcrum® range. Ideal for training and for century rides they will fulfil all your expectations with their extremely high performance and long life. The aluminium rim has a height of 24 mm and its braking surfaces are machined to provide the greatest friction for the brake pads when braking.

Submitted by John a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2015

Strengths:    Strong, Inexpensive, Stiff

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Harsh ride

Bottom Line:
Good training wheels that stay true and can take the hits. I've put approximately 2700 miles on them and they have held up well. I've also been impressed with how they have not caused flats. I've hit some serious pot holes, but none have caused a flat yet. These are definitely not racing wheels at 1700+ grams for the pair, but a solid pair of wheels for training and fast rides.

Submitted by Kirk a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Durability, looks, no maintenance, road feel, quiet hubs, great value.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is tire changes. I have pinched tubes, snapped tire tools, given myself more than one blood blister. I swap out cross tires every season and I dread it!

Bottom Line:
Great wheels overall. These wheels came on a Ridley cross bike that is my daily go to bike as well as my 'cross race machine' 4 or 5 times a year. They may not be the lightest or spin up the fastest but after 5 years of year 'round punishment (I'm 185#) they have never needed a truing. Amazing for the cost of these wheels. I'm considering buying a second set just so I don't have to swap the tires as often.

Definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a rock solid do-it-all wheelset.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere I'm not at work

Purchased At:   Rassy's in DSM, Ia

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Dura Ace Road, Shimano WH6500s, Rolf Pros

Bike Setup:   Ridley Crosswind - all Ultegra stock

Submitted by Trail-rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    Price,easy servicible.

Weaknesses:    Stated weight.

Bottom Line:
Nice looking set of wheels which roll smoothly on the flat and are fast when decending. hold the road well when cornering and have had no problems in cross winds.Pros and experienced riders will find they are a little heavy when climbing.Very durable and easy to service. For the price they are worth buying, not the best wheels out there, then again there are worse sets of wheels. As for the stated weight thats without both axles the spacers, the quick release and freehub body. My front wheel weighs 765g with bearings, rear 855g with bearings. front axle/spacers/lock nut weigh 56g. Rear axle/spacers/lock nut weigh 85g. Freehub body with bearings/pawls weigh 131g. 765+885=1650.

Submitted by MercRider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    Seemed fine prior to the rear wheel getting a broken spoke, which happened three times.

Weaknesses:    Three broken spokes on the rear after only about 1500 miles, and NO bike shops carry the spokes. And I am a light rider, only 150 lbs. It has sat in the garage, since no one sells the spokes.

Bottom Line:
They came on my new bike in 2008. After the first broken spoke and no one could fix it, I used other wheels. I finally spent the big bucks for a new spoke, and pretty soon I had another broken spoke. It sat a few more years, but recently I got a new spoke and had the wheels trued, but shortly I had another broken spoke. It sits in the garage again with its broken spoke.

Submitted by neville jenkins a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased Fulcrum 5 rims with a new Storck road bike. Both rims performed well but lost out in the durability dept. At 9,000km both were found to have cracks. To Fulcrums redit however they are replacing them. I will change back to Mavic Open Pro for reliability