Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelsets - clincher

2.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Racing5 are the entry-level wheels in the Fulcrum® range. Ideal for training and for century rides they will fulfil all your expectations with their extremely high performance and long life. The aluminium rim has a height of 24 mm and its braking surfaces are machined to provide the greatest friction for the brake pads when braking.

Submitted by Kirk a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Durability, looks, no maintenance, road feel, quiet hubs, great value.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is tire changes. I have pinched tubes, snapped tire tools, given myself more than one blood blister. I swap out cross tires every season and I dread it!

Bottom Line:
Great wheels overall. These wheels came on a Ridley cross bike that is my daily go to bike as well as my 'cross race machine' 4 or 5 times a year. They may not be the lightest or spin up the fastest but after 5 years of year 'round punishment (I'm 185#) they have never needed a truing. Amazing for the cost of these wheels. I'm considering buying a second set just so I don't have to swap the tires as often.

Definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a rock solid do-it-all wheelset.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere I'm not at work

Purchased At:   Rassy's in DSM, Ia

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Dura Ace Road, Shimano WH6500s, Rolf Pros

Bike Setup:   Ridley Crosswind - all Ultegra stock

Submitted by Trail-rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    Price,easy servicible.

Weaknesses:    Stated weight.

Bottom Line:
Nice looking set of wheels which roll smoothly on the flat and are fast when decending. hold the road well when cornering and have had no problems in cross winds.Pros and experienced riders will find they are a little heavy when climbing.Very durable and easy to service. For the price they are worth buying, not the best wheels out there, then again there are worse sets of wheels. As for the stated weight thats without both axles the spacers, the quick release and freehub body. My front wheel weighs 765g with bearings, rear 855g with bearings. front axle/spacers/lock nut weigh 56g. Rear axle/spacers/lock nut weigh 85g. Freehub body with bearings/pawls weigh 131g. 765+885=1650.

Submitted by MercRider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    Seemed fine prior to the rear wheel getting a broken spoke, which happened three times.

Weaknesses:    Three broken spokes on the rear after only about 1500 miles, and NO bike shops carry the spokes. And I am a light rider, only 150 lbs. It has sat in the garage, since no one sells the spokes.

Bottom Line:
They came on my new bike in 2008. After the first broken spoke and no one could fix it, I used other wheels. I finally spent the big bucks for a new spoke, and pretty soon I had another broken spoke. It sat a few more years, but recently I got a new spoke and had the wheels trued, but shortly I had another broken spoke. It sits in the garage again with its broken spoke.

Submitted by neville jenkins a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased Fulcrum 5 rims with a new Storck road bike. Both rims performed well but lost out in the durability dept. At 9,000km both were found to have cracks. To Fulcrums redit however they are replacing them. I will change back to Mavic Open Pro for reliability

Submitted by jaylebs1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    Price, strength/stiffness and looks. would be good training wheel. bearings could be replaced.

Weaknesses:    Crap bearings( guess you can fix that easy enough), not well balanced and poor rim join.

Bottom Line:
The wheels look the part and are very strong and reasonably stiff.( i weigh 85kg/187lbs) However the pair i got had a very poor rim join that was vertically out of alignment and it had to be machined flat as well. one of the big points fulcrum make is how well balanced the wheels are but they arent. they make a pretty obvious out of balance sound(sans tyres) and the bearings are rough as guts. you can feel them crunching(if you spin the wheel in your hands), although the wheels do seem to spin up ok. i was not very happy with the rear wheel. the front is pretty good though.

Favorite Ride:   beach road

Similar Products Used:   mavic open pro, ultegra

Bike Setup:   Emc2 equip team. ultegra sl, fsa bits , fizik, look keo sprint

Fulcrum Racing 7 and 5 in 2014

2014 models of Fulcrum Racing 7 and 5 wheelsets will have 18 spokes front and 20 spokes rear. No more 2:1 pattern, instead they will have an offset rim. [url=http://www.wigglesport.de/fulcrum-racing-7-clincher-wheelset-2014/]Wiggle Deutschland | Fulcrum Racing 7 Clincher WheelSet 2014 | Laufräder ... Read More »

Racing Question: No Cat 5, can I race Cat 4?

First year of racing coming up. One of the races I was planning doesn't have a Cat 5 category; does that mean I am able to race with the 4's or I can't race? Sorry for the stupid question, I couldn't find my answer using the search button. Thanks!Read More »

Fulcrum Racing 5 - OK for Clydesdales?

What's the experience of heavier riders with Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelsets ? Is there a more durable wheel for about the same prince? Also, when did Fulcrum change from 27 to 24 spokes in the Racing 5 rear wheel? Thanks!Read More »

F95 problem with Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset

Hi all, I'm based in Australia and am new to this forum, having bought a 2011 F95 a few months ago. I gave up racing some 20 years ago (previous road bike was a Campy Record equipped 1980 Harry Quinn) and just wanted a reasonable machine for riding with the local club. I had a limited budge ... Read More »

Racing Cat 5's with Citizens class?

I went to register for the Bear Lake Classic and they have two Cat 5 classes listed: Cat 5/Citizens 34 & Under Cat 5/Citizen 35 & Over It appears they are mixing the Citizen's classes in with the Cat 5's. Is that legal?Read More »