Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelsets - clincher

4.05/5 (22 Reviews)

The Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset is a dynamically-balanced wheelset, fully taking into account rim welds, spoke holes and tire valves: the spin of each wheel is ultimately smoother rolling as a result. The rims themselves are 24mm high quality aluminum rim w

Submitted by il sogno a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2015

Strengths:    Sturdy wheelset.

Weaknesses:    After a few hundred miles, the rear hub went south. The bearings and cups are toast.

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal on 'em at $200 but I got what I paid for. Poor quality.

Purchased At:   Total Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds mv32t wheelset, Campy handbuilt wheels

Bike Setup:   Pogliaghi steel frame, Campy Record (year 2000) groupset.

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Strengths:    Strong rims, beat the heck out of these with not rim issues.

Weaknesses:    Hubs stink, bearing and overall build. They are fine, but not great for the weekend warrior or enthusiast. But anyone putting a lot of miles on there bike and or hitting the hills will quickly be running past these wheels ability to keep up. They came on my bike which was nicely outfitted with ultegra and FSA carbon goodies, but the wheel set is the weak link on the bike.

Bottom Line:
If your pre-built bike came with these wheels then that is fine; but this is an area that many bike companies try to save money on since most riders are looking at the groupo and then name brand on the other parts regardless of the the level. Hoping the consumer will not notice or care that they are getting a sub- par wheel set as long as the stickers are cool and it's a name brand. So ride them to the ground and when the hubs start to break down, spend the money on something worthy of that carbon fiber frame your riding. You will notice is.

Submitted by Thurstan

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Strengths:    Look great
Great upgrade from stock wheels
Stiff

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
As a newish rider these were my first new wheels upgrading from stock wheels on my Allez sport 2013 and I think they are great. I don't get why people say these are heavy as they certainly are not, especially compared to stock wheels.

They are true, tough, look great and are not noisy at all. Noticeable difference with these on.

As a first upgrade, they are superb value for money and worth a look.

Submitted by Mad Mike a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    Cost effective...Strong and bombproof... Fast and smooth... Excellent braking surface..Good looking anodizing.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Loud freewheel...really loud.

Bottom Line:
I use these as my english century distance wheelset...where I'm more concerned with reliability versus weight and speed. They are tough, I've ridden through tank traps and always came out straight and true. And certainly affordable. As to the loud freewheel...reminds me that coasting/drafting is not allowed...crank, crank, and crank m/f er.

Favorite Ride:   New Jersey Pine Barrens

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   2003 Fuji Marseille...Reynolds 853 steel frame
Dura Ace gruppo
Conti GP4000 rubber

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    Toughness, reliability, stay true, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Heavy, loud freewheel, looks

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels to use as my off-road wheels on my cross bike. I have the older version with red hubs and I think they look pretty cool. I have certainly given these wheels a working over having done singletrack, high speed fire roads, rough pavement and smooth tarmac. I don't think I have ever trued them as I don't pay as much attention to these as I do my regular road wheels. They are still true after all of this varied terrain and roll fairly smoothly. I am currently using them as my main road wheels because I got fed up with the bull and quirks of the "high end" wheels I have used in the past(easton ea90, SRAM s30). Although about a pound heavier I think these wheels are faster and certainly more comfortable. I recently purchased a new pair of Campy wheels for the road and chose them because of the loud free wheel noise from the fulcrums. I also think Fulcrum should update they're look for they're aluminum wheels. I just don't want my expensive wheels to look exactly like wheels costing $180. To me, the Racing 7's look just like the 3's, zero's etc. Bottom line. These are awesome wheels for very little money.

Favorite Ride:   Sonoma