Mavic Aksium wheelsets - clincher

3.57/5 (90 Reviews)

• Store Price

Mavic Aksium Wheelset is efficient and reliable wheelset thanks to high-end features: ^140g lighter than the previous version ^QRM bearings, FTS-L freewheel, H2 spoke holes ^Straight pull spokes: stronger than J bent spokes. ^Weight: 1855 grams per p

Submitted by Lombard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2014

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Bang for the buck

Weaknesses:    Noisy freewheel

Bottom Line:
Last fall, my LBS replaced my 4,000 mile old Bontrager Race rear wheel with this one because of cracks developing around the spoke eyelets of hte Bontrager wheel. So far, so good though only a few hundred miles so far. Weight is similar to the Bontrager Race wheel, stiffness seems a little better. My only complaint is that this one has a rather noisy freewheel - not as noisy as a DT Swiss, but noisier than a Shimano or Bontrager.

All in all a decent budget road rim at a good price point.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere with good hills and good scenery

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Mavic, Bontrager, Weinman, Sun

Bike Setup:   Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x25c tires
Serfas Rx Men’s Saddle
Shimano 11-32T Cassette

Submitted by Asser Poulsen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Strengths:    Durable bearings and freewheel. Good quality spokes and nipples. Stays true. Plenty of rim wall material.

Weaknesses:    Dangerous rear hub failure / design flaw - (2008 model) - unpredictable breakdown that cannot be repaired.

Bottom Line:
Rode 5000 km on a pair without any problems. Then suddenly without any signs of extensive wear or corrosion, one of the spoke attachments on the drive side of the rear hub cracked leaving the wheel unrideable and beyond repair. It happened when accelerating during a climb. It seems the flange is under-dimensioned and that the somewhat tapered spoke "head" (straight pull spokes) generates an outward force on the outermost flange that ends up splitting the flange from the hub (the metal fatigues).
I can accept gradual wear over time and a need for truing and maintenance, but the hub structure should be designed to be the strongest part of a wheel.
I weight 75 kg.

Favorite Ride:   Without trafficlights

Purchased At:   Bikebuster, Denmark,

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, Fulcrum Racing 7, Campagnolo Khamsin.

Bike Setup:   1991 Cannondale SC800 Criterium (3.0 alu frame).

Submitted by paule11

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2014

Strengths:    Strong stay pretty true handle my 111kg weight

Weaknesses:    ting ting noise from front wheel ended up spraying Lanotec heavy duty spray on nipples let it soak in got rid of noise they do flex a little

Bottom Line:
Great value

Submitted by Steve Fangman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Affordable, Indestructible, Build Quality, Appearance

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Carbon wheels are not ALWAYS necessary. For example, I am 6-3 and in the 200lb range, and I can put out some power. My commutes to work are about 14 miles each way, and I try to ride 3-4 days per week. Carbon looks cool, but it is also REALLY expensive.

When I needed to get a new set of wheels, my favorite bike shop asked what I would be using them for. I told them about my commute, and what type of rider I was. Adrenalin Cycles in Littleton Colorado carries a number of brands, and the price ranges from inexpensive to the best money can buy. They recommended the Mavic Aksium set for my commuting bike. Since they were within my budget and came with their endorsement, I slapped a pair on. Here is what I have learned.

I have about 1000 miles on them, and have not had a single issue. My shop told me Mavic uses the same hub technology that they use in their high end wheels, so the hardware is proven by the most demanding cyclists. They are not the lightest wheels, which is fine with me. I am often lugging an extra 10lbs of laptop and other stuff, and I want a wheel I can rely on. I don’t have time for a mechanical delay in the morning. They spin up quickly, and I don’t notice much difference between these wheels and my other higher end wheels. The build quality is amazing, with nice graphics as well.

Overall, this is a solid wheelset and I recommend it for commuting and other touring.

Submitted by Owen M a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    Superb value-have tested a few wheels around this price point and overall these are the best I've ridden.When looking to custom build,my criteria were value/performance,reliability without sacrificing speed and no 'holes' in my setup-these wheels seem to fit the bill perfectly.I'm reasonably fit and fast for my 185 lbs or so-though have no pretensions to being an elite level rider.If one has the ability or need to facilitate a 2nd 'training' bike then these would be ideal.If one is looking for one of the best performing value wheels out there for sportives,club runs etc then I'd heartily recommend these.Peer pressure can be a lot in cycling these days with 'club' level riders like myself often being persuaded that they need to spend 1000s just to keep up.Aksiums will do a job!They will roll forever,are strong,brake well,handle responsively and accelerate well-with little flex.What's more I live in hilly South Wales where the road surfaces are generally poor-with plenty of loose gravel,road furniture,ruts etc and they've required little maintenance.For their price they are fairly aero and lighter than most while being rigid yet a good ride.An added bonus is that they are one of the most readily available 'nearly new' wheelsets available on ebay-I paid £130 for mine (low mileage) and they have been faultless for the money.They also have sealed bearings which should be a benefit in terms of reliability.To top it off,my Aksium 'blacks' look good too!

Weaknesses:    None.Have read some commenting that they are heavy-for their price point they are most certainly not!They are not the lightest or most aero wheel available obviously but then we are talking of an entirely different market and price range!

Bottom Line:
They are what they are and for their cost in my view they are damn good!

Favorite Ride:   Brecon Beacons

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   Specialized custom spray Allez frame/carbon fork,Ritchey WCS stem,Deda RHM 2 bars,Sram Supercork tape,Shimano Ultegra shifters/train,105 brakes,Exustar pro pedals,Vittoria Rubino pro 3 tyres,Planet X superlight seatpost,Specialized Alias Ti 143 saddle,Mavic Aksium Race Black wheelset

Mavic Aksium wheels - which tool for hub adjustment?

Picked up a CX bike off CL. There's a little play in the hubs. I understand that Mavic has a unique system where the hubs can be adjusted with the wheels installed, but they need a special tool. There are several tools available. Can anybody point me to the one for the Aksium wheelset? Thx.Read More »

Specializd DT Swiss Axis 1.0 vs. Mavic Aksium wheelset

I just purchased a 2013 Specialized Roubaix a few weeks ago and the bike came equipped with a Specialized OEM DT Swiss Axis 1.0 wheel set. According to this link from Specialized web site: [url=http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/wheels/roval-training/dt-axis-10]Specialized Bicycle Components[/url ... Read More »

Velocity A23 custom wheels VS Aksium

I'm currently riding a set Mavic Aksium Race wheels with 25mm tires and I'm considering upgrading to something a bit nicer. I'm intrigued by the new 23mm wide rims so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me, from experience if a23 wheels (24/28, radial/3x, double butted) would be a noticeable upgrade f ... Read More »

Mavic Aksium Wheels?

What are peoples thoughts on these wheels? I've been contemplating whether to upgrade to them? Just wondering what peoples thoughts are? Or If there are alternatives in the same price range. Thanks. Psyclist.Read More »

Mavic Aksium Race wheels for Junior 'Cross Racing??

I'm a Newbie here, but I've got a wheel question. I'm building up a 'cross bike for my 11 year old son, using a Scatto Junior frame from Europe. One idea I had was to take the Mavic Aksium Race wheels from my Focus road bike and put them on this 'cross bike, then get a newer/nicer/lighter set of whe ... Read More »