Mavic Aksium wheelsets - clincher

3.5/5 (94 Reviews)

Mavic Aksium Wheelset is efficient and reliable wheelset thanks to high-end features: ^140g lighter than the previous version ^QRM bearings, FTS-L freewheel, H2 spoke holes ^Straight pull spokes: stronger than J bent spokes. ^Weight: 1855 grams per p

Submitted by Guernsey Kirk

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2015

Strengths:    Look nice but rusty spokes

Weaknesses:    Rusty spokes

Bottom Line:
This set of wheels came with a new Cannondale Synapse 105. I have had the bike for about 15 months and for various reasons had very little use. The bike is always garaged and only been in the wet once, everything thing about the bike is still in showroom condition with the exception to the wheels. The spokes are now covered in a very slight surface rust which at the minute I'm able to wipe away with a little WD 40,this problem will only get worse as the spokes are starting to pit.
Poor quality wheels and on this basis would recommend people stear well clear of them.

Submitted by Marcos Y a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2015

Strengths:    Nice breaking surface, "aero" spokes, very rigid.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This wheelset came as stock for my 2015 Cannondale Supersix. My intention was to use this heavy and tough wheels for training purposes, as it looked like bullet-proof. After 1,500 miles, or 2 months of use, I was surprised with a crack in the rear hub resulting in a loose spoke and no chance of repair. I did not expected this from a Mavic wheel, even an entry level - which is supposed to be durable. And it cracked with no reason - no crashes, no potholes, not even transported the bike in a rack - just plain and simple rides out of my door.

Bottom line: you get what you pay - heavy weight and low price does not mean durability.

Similar Products Used:   Easton Circuit, Token C22

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Supersix Ultegra 11v

Submitted by Mike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2014

Strengths:    Fast, light, true. Dynamic.

Weaknesses:    None yet observed

Bottom Line:
I'm on my 2nd set of Aksiums, having damaged the first set beyond repair in a racing crash last year. This set is even faster than the first was. I'm using them on an older Cannondale frame, and they make the bike feel new. Why spend money on a whole new bike when, for just a few hundred bucks, you can get a similar 'new' feel merely by getting a new wheels et and new brake pads?

Submitted by Dan McGuinness

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2014

Strengths:    Before the spokes started popping off, they remained in true.

Weaknesses:    The connection between the nipple and the spoke rusted out, and the spokes started popping off.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Mavic Aksium Race wheelset from my local bike shop about six years ago. A few weeks ago the spokes on both wheels started popping off while I was riding. The problem is that the connection between the spoke and the nipple has rusted out. When my local bike shop called Mavic about the problem, their response was basically "too bad, not my problem."

The wheelset has less than 10,000 miles on it.

Now I need a new wheelset - and I will not be buying Mavic wheels.

Submitted by Lombard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2014

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Bang for the buck

Weaknesses:    Noisy freewheel

Bottom Line:
Last fall, my LBS replaced my 4,000 mile old Bontrager Race rear wheel with this one because of cracks developing around the spoke eyelets of hte Bontrager wheel. So far, so good though only a few hundred miles so far. Weight is similar to the Bontrager Race wheel, stiffness seems a little better. My only complaint is that this one has a rather noisy freewheel - not as noisy as a DT Swiss, but noisier than a Shimano or Bontrager.

All in all a decent budget road rim at a good price point.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere with good hills and good scenery