Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Premium wheelsets - clincher

• Nipples: ABS, brass
  • Bearing: QRM+

Submitted by chuck

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, light, fast- I'm 200 lbs, and the SLs hold true at high speed in corners. They are tough, fast and a good looking wheelset.

Bottom Line:
I paid over $1000 for these, and totally worth it...great looks, exceptional performance, and good durability. AAA+++

Submitted by Hannes a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    Very stiff and very strong!

Weaknesses:    Weight!

Bottom Line:
This is my first official set of deep sections but being part of a triathlon team I have ridden with a few Zipp's and Easton's.
They are both lighter than the Mavic's but the durability and flex on them had me worried from beginning to end as I am 1,93m and 90kg's at race weight. But the moment I got on these Mavic's I could feel the support, they corner like a dream and you have more 'feel' for the road.
I would gladly use these instead of a lighter set of much more expensive full carbon wheels. It's easier to lose 300g than pay 10k more anyway!
And besides, you have to admit that these babies are gorgeous!!!

Favorite Ride:   Flat and fast

Purchased At:   Troisport, Johannesb

Bike Setup:   Triathlon aero setup on a Specialized Roubaix SL3 S-Works 2010

Submitted by Mike Acosta a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    It is a very stiff rim, even laterally it doesn't seem to flex so it feels very solid in corners. It is aero and fast.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
Comparing the Carbones to my other wheelsets, Easton Ascent lls and Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Yes the Carbones take a little longer to spool up but, once you get up to speed they hold their speed very well. In the flats, pedaling seems effortless compared to my other 2 wheelsets...even into head winds the bike feels like it's slicing through the wind. I haven't had a day on the bike yet, where there wasn't any wind, so I can't wait to see how much of an improvement they'll make on a 20 mile ride I do in one hour at 75-80 per cent effort on a still day. I have no doubt these wheels will do just that. Love these wheels!

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Bike Setup:   2012 Canondale Super Six Evo

Submitted by Axer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Aerodynamic, Durable, Straight-pull & Bladed Spokes, Machined Braking Surface, Sexy

Weaknesses:    Weight; or you could pay a ton more for the better versions and still only save a few grams.

Bottom Line:
I put the wheelset on my aerodynamic road bike and they look and ride like they were made for each other.
I know these are normally for race only or whatever, but screw that... If I paid over a grand, I wanna show 'em off and use 'em! They take a banging every now and then; the roads aren't always smooth but no problems.
I've seen these on other bikes and they make any bike look good.

Favorite Ride:   Roads of LA

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   2011 Litespeed Archon C1

Submitted by Tim Hanson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, hold speed well, accelerate quickly. Look great.

Weaknesses:    If you HAVE to pick a nit, they're not Zipp 1080's, and that's OK.

Bottom Line:
They are everything I hoped they'd be. Yes, they're not full carbon, but they don't need to be. For my type of riding they're perfect: TT only, on flat, windy courses. Plus, at 205 lbs, I'm a little leery of full carbon wheels.

A lot of literature about the SL's said they would hold speed, accelerate well on the flats and be stable in a crosswind. It was all true. They also a stiff, but comfortable.

The wheels also look great and appear like were made for the bike. Have received a lot of compliments.

The first time ever riding them was in a 10 mile TT. Took 40 second off my PR. They're good......

Favorite Ride:   My own local course. 25 miles, three canyons, 2600 feet vertical gain.

Purchased At:   local bike shop