Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheelsets - clincher

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

The Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Clincher Wheel or Wheelset combines the reliability and braking performance of a traditional aluminum rim with the lightweight aerodynamic advantages of a deep-dish carbon wheel.

Submitted by Carlos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    they look really nice

Weaknesses:    poor aluminum strength.

Bottom Line:
Wheels were used for 10 months. 8k-10k. nipples cracked the inside of the rear wheel. i realized b/c the wheel started coming out of true. when taken to the shop for truing the owner looked at the nipples. he said that he had seen that same defect with previous wheels that he had owned. 2 nipples had cracked the aluminum and the spoke lost tension causing the wheel to became out of true.
i am 5'11" 215-220 lbs rider. i ride strong and train strong too 4x week, 160-220miles per week. 80-100 miles on Saturday 22+ avg miles per hour after the ride. Miami streets to homestead. some stretches are rough. I used the wheels always as my regular wheels. sent back to mavic for repairs. $425 for changing rim and spokes. this will give me 1 year warranty. wheels had no warranty bc i purchased them on ebay for $1000. the rear wheel alone is 635+tax. i am repairing the wheel and using it for training. Wheel set retails for 1200. it is better to buy them at retail at an authorized dealer. this will give you the 2 year warranty. I did not do this and now i am paying for it. if you want the wheel take into consideration this feature. i read around and found other buyers complain about the same after some months of use. i hope this helps

Favorite Ride:   centuries

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   mavic aksium, shimano r500

Bike Setup:   Scott Cr1 full DA 53/42-11-25

Submitted by Joel Lueck a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Super Sexy, Smooth, Aerodynamic, Stiff

Weaknesses:    "Heavy", only one valve extender included

Bottom Line:
I've been contemplating a serious set of wheels for years now, but have been relatively happy with my set of Neuvation M28 Aeros so I never felt the need to drop serious coin on a set of carbon clinchers. Plus, I've got two things about me that have always scared me from deep section carbons: 1) I'm a clydesdale (225 lbs) and 2) I'm not exactly a racehorse (17-18 mph average). I've read that deep section rims are only beneficial if you're riding 20+ mph. Having said all that, I finally gave in and bought this set. Here's my initial review after 50 miles.

Right out of the box, these wheels are super sexy. If I can't ride fast, at least my bike can look like it belongs to someone who can! With regard to my weight issue, I felt comfortable with the knowledge that these are actually aluminum rims with a carbon "faring" providing the deep section aerodynamics. I don't thing they lack strength in any respect and they are still super stiff. As for my prior belief that deep sections are only beneficial for faster riders, I now believe that to be erroneous. Granted, I've only got 50 miles on them, but I have noticed that riding at my normal speed (about 17mph), my average heart rate is about 8% lower. I purposefully tested them this way to, rather than simply seeing how much faster I was able to ride, in an effort to eliminate the psychological effect of riding on "faster wheels."

On the down side, while about the same weight as my previous wheels, these don't seem to be quite as "snappy". I suspect this comes from the fact that a large portion of the weight of this set is further from the axle. But, once up to speed, they maintain higher speeds much easier.

Finally, these are extremely difficult to find for less than the $1200 MSRP. However, I got them from gottaridebikes.com and was able to use a 20% discount code for first time customers ... $979 including shipping. Also, be prepared with 80mm valve tubes (for some reason only one valve extender is included)

Bike Setup:   Stevens Vantage Carbon Frame, SRAM Red, Zero Gravity Brake Calipers, Time I-Clic pedals, Garmin Edge 305

Submitted by charlitin

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    strong wheels, many deep pot holes that would put many wheels out of true and these are true. amazing and i am 220 lbs rider!
absorb the road imperfections very nicely. could feel the difference from my mavic's akysium and shimano wh500.

Weaknesses:    price is stiff...1000 dollars for a set is decent money but after you roll them they are tottaly worth it.

Bottom Line:
you want a nice set of durable strong fast good wheels? go for it. i have ridden them and abused them for every day training and riding and they are solid performers , no complaints untill now after 3000-4000 miles.

Submitted by Freeagent35

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very durable. Fast at speed. Smooth bearings. No flex (rigid) yet comfortable. Stay true.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. Wary of hanging by wheel (I use a wall leaning bike rack to hang bike by frame instead)

Bottom Line:
I wanted these for the longest time. Finally bit the bullet and bought a pair off of Ebay in 2009. I have two seasons on our terrible Central Illinois roads. There are lighter wheels out there but few that are as good all around for rolling terrain. I prefer the metal brake surfaces over more fragile carbon. I am 175 lbs and a former BMX'er so I tend to crank fairly hard wattage. I have hit numerous potholes (not by design) and they have never had an issue. I have trued them once in 3k miles. I do recommend pulling apart the rear hub and lubing the pawls (with Phil's Tenacious Oil) as well as the cones front and rear with a high quality teflon lube. Other than that they are pretty much maintenance free. TIP: Use 80mm tubes. I use Continental Race and they have held up very well. They do not come with rim tape so make sure to get the right size to avoid pinch flats. Also, they are a bit tight so pre-stretch your tires. I have used Grand Prix 4 Season and am sold. If you want a wheel you can train and race on, these are it. By the way, Texas Cycle Sport has them for $899, a real steel.

Submitted by Brandon55

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    These wheels are really stiff. They roll fast on the flats when at top speed.

Weaknesses:    Lack of strength in the rim where the spoke enters.

Bottom Line:
When riding the wed. night world championship. I decided to attack on a gradual up hill climb. I put the hammer down and when I did it cracked the rim and pulled the spoke right through. Needless to say the wheel is ruined for good. The wheels may be stiff and true, but that doesn't matter when they brake.

2012 Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL or 2012 Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Hey everyone! Looking to get a new wheelset for my Trek Madone 5.5, and I have found two deals on Craigslist that have caught my eye: 2012 Mavic Ksyrium Elite Clincher Wheelset with Mavic Yksion Pro Powerlink tires - $350 2012 Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL with Michelin Pro 3 tires - $600 (I would n ... Read More »

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL - Competitive Cyclist

Tour Sale 40% retail for $720 not sure about shipping, plus Competitive Cyclist has great customer service and great return policyRead More »

CLYSDALE SRAM S60 zipp 404 zipp 60 cosmic carbone SL

Has anybody ridden these. Im looking for everyday riders I figure if im spending the money on a new wheelset im gonna use them. I was thinking about custom wheels but what i really want is a lot of $$$$$ Im 5''11 245-250lb ride about 100 miles a week nothing to fast average about 16/18mph I current ... Read More »

Zipp 404 clincher v Cosmic Carbone SL

Hi all, Can anyone shed some light on the 404s, I have the Carbones and am looking to see if the Zipps would be any better, oh by the way I am 93kg. cheers in advance for and advice. PeteRead More »

Can a 235 pounder borrow Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheelset without ruining them???

I am doing Ride Across Indiana this summer. I weigh 235 lbs. My brother has offered to let me use his Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheelset to do the ride since I have set of stock Shimanos on my CAAD 9 5. Am I too big for these wheels???Read More »