Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheelsets - tubular

Light AND aerodynamic, the Cosmic Carbone Ultimate is the Wheel-Tyre System to beat for aerodynamic wheels. The Wheel-Tyre System most wanted by Pro Tour teams. The Cosmic Carbone Ultimate has demonstrated its world class performance with p...

Submitted by biker58life a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Strengths:    to me, stiff, light, comfy, gorgeous

Weaknesses:    Price is relativ but I can see how people will think these r expensive

Bottom Line:
Spending over $1000 for a set of wheels is just silly. I am heavy at 5'8" coming in at 187 lb. I have always used aluminum wheels because I need the stopping power and I don't race. I also like tubeless.

I have used Fulcrum Racing 0 (tubeless) B4 but they don't spin as well or as comfy as my Shimano C24 TL. All my bikes uses C24 TL wheels; Scott R2, Colnago C59. I find them on eBay and the C24 are just fine.

Then I picked up a set of Lightweight Standard 3 (LWs3); first foray into tubular and went for the gusto. A whole new world opened up. Amazing wheels! But I can't help but feel they are a bit fragile. Friend recommended the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate (MCCU).

The MCCU's are amazing. Lists cheaper but in my opinion, better than LWs3's. The MCCU's are stiffer, spin beautifully and there is sense of solid-ness that seems to be missing in the LWs3's.

Braking on both are on par with the C24 aluminum rims but I will never ride the carbon wheels in the rain. No way.

However, it must be said that I found something interesting. the best combination of frame/wheels seems to be Colnago/LWs3 and Scott/MCCU. The other way around just don't gel very well.

Colnago/LWs3 combo has a super "sophisticated" ride that the C24's just can't hope to compete. Colnago with the C24 just feels lumber-some and made the Colnago feel like a cruiser; ok, it feels heavy. with the LWs3, the bike becomes super focused and sharpens up every aspect of the bike. This set up will require me to be drop another 15 lb at least to truly bring out the "BAM".

Scott/MCCU combo makes the whole thing very light and strangely NOT twitchy. Spins super fast and climbs strongly. Just a pleasure! I know this is an old frame but it just strikes a cord in me that makes me feel right! Love this frame! This set up is like a loyal dog who is ready to go anytime, anywhere.

I will still use the C24 TL with the Scott in the rain or riding a century but the the MCCU's will only go with the Scott.

Maybe the LW Mileinstein will be the ultimate (no pun intended) for the Colnago C59?

Spending $6k + for a set of wheels seems quite reasonable now. I heard you really only need 1 kidney.

Favorite Ride:   the safe kind

Purchased At:   PC Sportech

Similar Products Used:   Shimano C24 TL/CL, Fulcrum Racing 0 2-way, Lightweight standard 3.

Bike Setup:   Colnago C59 Shimano Di2
Scott Addict R2 Shimano Di2

Submitted by pletharoe a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Light and stiff. Comfortable to ride in spite of the stiffness. Not too tall so don't get blown about as much as 404FC.

Weaknesses:    If you crash (like I did on my third ride!), repair is not an option.

Bottom Line:
Similar weight to Zipp 404FC, but much stiffer. Maybe not as aero, but that's splitting hairs. I spend more time slogging up hills at 10-20km/h than bombing along the flat at 40. A stiff wheel makes a huge difference under high torque (hills and acceleration in town).

Not as light as Lightweights, but refer to my previous comment about stiffness.

Maybe not as comfy as the Zipps. But hey, if I wanted comfort I'd have a Brooks saddle!

These wheels are crazy fast. I was riding Aksiums, then tried the 404FC, but settled on the CCUs. Don't get me wrong, I like the Zipps, but these appear to do much better. I've only had them a few weeks and am in an unfit phase due to work. But I'm still getting some of my best times, particularly when climbing. Acceleration is ballistic, cornering feels like you're on rails. This inspires confidence in bucket loads. I find myself barrelling into corners on bumpy and cracked concrete roads at speeds I wouldn't normally consider. I look at the speedo, realise I'm too fast, but it's too late to brake so just commit. I come out of the corner amazed that I'm still alive!

Braking in the dry is good. The power is quite immediate, requiring less force than on my alloy rims. However I don't think there's as much "emergency stop" potential. As for braking in the wet - this can be scary, particularly for the first couple of revolutions of the wheel before it dries off! But this is the case with all carbon rims.

My only problem has been that you can't repair them. Because the whole wheel is pretty much one unit, if anything breaks, you're screwed. I slipped in the rain on my third ride on the new wheels. The bike skidded off and a van ran over the rear wheel. The rim cracked, but it was still probably strong enough to ride (did I say they are stiff?) Unfortunately the only parts that could be salvaged were a few nik naks from the hub. I basically had to buy a new wheel. On the plus side, the Mavic dealer here in HK took pity on me and gave me an excellent deal, replacing the wheel very quickly. Testament to Mavic's customer service.

Favorite Ride:   Tung Chung - Big Buddha (return)

Purchased At:   Sky Blue Bikes, Hong

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 404FC

Bike Setup:   Ridley Helium with Campy 11 speed Chorus, Record and Super Record bits.

Submitted by Libor Krasny a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light, aerodynamic, durable, great looks

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
I used to ride tubulars for ~ 10 years. Then I switched to clinchers for another ~ 10 years and last Fall I decided to go back to tubulars due to the lower weight of the carbon wheels. The Mavic CCUs have so far fulfilled my expectations. They roll smoothly and seem to efficiently cut through the air. Riding above 30 km/h definitely feels easier than with Mavic Ksyriums (great wheels themselves, too!). The Mavic CCUs help climbing, expecially when accelerating or riding out of the saddle. The braking is different and, at first, feels worse than with aluminum rims. However, after some break in period, I just got used to the difference and now I feel as confident as before. I had just to replace the yellow Swissstop brake pads that went with the wheels with Shimano brake pads for carbon rims as the former did not allow for sensitive modulation of the stoping power (and left ugly yellow marks on the braking surface). I use the Tufo gluing tape and Continental Competition tubulars and this combination works great. As a spare, I have a lighweight Tufo tubular (150 g only!). In summary, great wheels that make every ride a joy (although do not expect them to turn you into a Cancellara or Nibali).

Favorite Ride:   mountains

Purchased At:   stevens.cz

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium Premium SL, Bontrager Race Lite

Bike Setup:   Trek + Campagnolo

Submitted by Thomas

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light, ride quality, sound

Weaknesses:    Expensive (but they're worth it)

Bottom Line:
Couldn't agree more with Slegros (below). These wheels makes such a difference in ride quality and speed. I did a 30 km A/B test with CCU and my old Ksyrium SR (which is a great wheel too).

The test was made the same day and round 1 was follow up instantly with round 2. So weather, wind and everything was the same. The test track is a roundtrip and and is quite flat with some hard small climps. Wind was 7-10 m/s.

The result is a shocking 1:32 faster on round 2 riding on CCU's!

What amazed me the most, is the stability with these babies. Going 60-70 km/h down the hills is so easy and stable, that you can even drink from your bottle if you like!

These babies will never come off my bike again

Submitted by slegros a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    See review......

Weaknesses:    Carbon braking in the rain?

Bottom Line:
Awesome. Period. Light and stiff as hell, low maintenance, 40mm profile is both aero, and manageable in crosswinds. Excel in any conceivable situation.... Incredible. Seemingly very tough so far. I have been training and racing on them for 3 months with absolutely no worries. After riding these I just cant bring myself to put my Ksyriums back on.

Similar Products Used:   I have probably ridden at least 40 sets of wheels in 25 years of cycling....

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict, Sram Red, Mavic CCU.

Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate Vs. Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR

Hey there, I've narrowed down my choice of tubular racing wheels to two: CCU's and RS XRL's. Would be great if you could let me know of your experiences with either or both of these wheels. Here are the basic differences between them CCU's are like lightweights with their carbon spokes, ma ... Read More »

Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate - Are they 'NEW" ?

I am in the market for some sub-1200g stiff wheels (considering clincher and tubular, aero would be a big plus) and the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate tubular set caught my eye. I though these were old wheels introduced around 2008 but the Mavic site says "new". Have they changed these for 2013? [ ... Read More »

Cosmic carbone ultimate

I currently ride 1.45 ENVE with DT190 ceramic hubs. Great wheels but someone suggested I buy some CC Ultimates 2013 for stiffness. I mainly do hills so stiffness is a big selling point for me. Are CCU 2013 an improvement over 2012 and secondly does anyone have any of their own views on how they m ... Read More »

Cosmic Carbone Ultimate 2011

Must say, these wheels have really caught my eye. Plus, total weight is 1185 grams. Pretty cool. I have never owned a pair of Mavic carbon wheels before, but I'm getting tempted. Any feedback on these wheels would be much appreciated. [url]http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wh ... Read More »

MAVIC Cosmic Carbone Ultimate vs. Xentis Mark1 HM

Any thoughts on which is better? They both weigh very little and cost a whole lot! I have a set of regular Mark1's and love them. I don't race road so non-UCI weights and nnumbers of spokes is not an issue.Read More »