Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelsets - clincher

3.71/5 (38 Reviews)

• 700 clincher: front 645 g, rear 840 g (ED10)
  • 700 tubular: front 630 g, rear 840 g (ED10)
  • Material: Maxtal
  • Color: black anodized
  • Profile height: front 22 mm, rear 25 mm
  • Drilling: Fore
  • Braking surface: UB Control
  • Lightweight: ISM
  • Valve: valve hole Ø: 6.5 mm
  • Material: Zicral
  • Type: straight pull, profiled, black
  • Nipples: M7 aluminum with locking rings
  • Count: front 18, rear 20
  • Lacing pattern: front radial, rear Isopulse lacing concept
  • Front body: carbon, oversize + aluminum walls,
  • rear body: oversize, aluminum alloy, red Front axle: aluminum, rear: aluminum and titanium
  • Bearing: QRM+
  • Free wheel system: FTS-L

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Zachariah a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2016

Strengths:    ~ Light and stiff
    ~ Fast spin-up

Weaknesses:    ~ FTS-X hub requires frequent service
    ~ Rear spoke nipple rips rim/spoke bed apart
    ~ Rear rim replacement price = junked wheels

Bottom Line:
    Went from 2006 Mavic Ksyrium SSC/SL3 to these and what a step back that was! Good thing I kept the SSC/SL3s because I now have one perfect front wheel....and spokes with hub for what is left of the rear. Mavic had to up the ante with the SL3 successor wheelset, but shaved weight off the absolute WORST place ever....the spoke bed!

If you gotta have Mavic - go with Cosmic Carbone. Or, just buy a custom-laced wheel. Mavic - you're Anniversary Edition wheelset is one resounding FAILURE.

Favorite Ride:   Highway 74

~ Real Design Supersphere

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R5 VWD

Submitted by Mando

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2014

Strengths:    Stand up to everyday abuse. Stiff, comfortable. Really strong and reliable

Weaknesses:    not wide or aero like the new stuff.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these new to the tune of $1200 to support my buddy who started his own bike shop. During a group ride I tried to bunny hop road construction and hit the corner of the pavement in the absolute worst way possible. I was 230lb at the time and the impact should have taco'ed the back wheel. The wheel went out of round, but it was small enough to where I didn't feel it. I ended up finishing the ride without a problem. My bike store owner buddy tried to true it as best as he could, but it is still a teeny bit out of round.. again.. i can't feel it... still riding it as is.

I think at this point it would be the same cost to buy a replacement as getting it rebuilt... but aaah... maybe I"ll just keep riding it the way it is.

Submitted by Captain Insano

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2013

Strengths:    Light, strong, very good looking

Weaknesses:    Old (went out of production in 2007)

Bottom Line:
    About a year ago, my derailleur hanger suddenly snapped, causing the rear derailleur to take out my Easton rear wheel in a low speed crash. Since the Easton wheel was relatively old, I couldn't find a replacement, and I had to look for a replacement wheelset. I've always liked the look of the Ksyrium ES's, so after a quick scan of Craigslist and eBay, I bought a set for $400 from some guy in Santa Monica.

I've got nothing but praises for this wheelset. I'm 210 lbs, ride on sometimes crappy roads, and this is a six year old wheelset, but I've seen none of the stress fractures or other damage reported by other reviewers. I recently had the hubs serviced by my LBS, and they said the wheels still have plenty of life on them. The mechanic actually offered to buy them from me, if I was willing to sell, but I'm going to hang on to these for as long as they work. I've never had to have then trued, so they're pretty tough, too.

The sidewall stickers are a little busy for my taste, so I took them off with some nail polish remover and elbow grease. The red hub paint is little faded, and the spokes show some scratches, but overall these wheels still look great.

Overall, a great replacement wheelset for an affordable price.

Submitted by tbmincey a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, stiff, stiff. Fly looking. Light enough.

Weaknesses:    None if you know what they are before you buy. They are not TT wheels or climbing wheels for sprites.

Bottom Line:
    The rear wheel developed some cracks around the spoke nipples because I hit a pot hole so hard it rattled my brain and cause my bars to drop! Mavic sent me a new wheel at cost $175. No bearing issues. No complaints.

Submitted by iploya a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good looks - red hub, red spoke as accent.

Weaknesses:    Plagued with long-term reliability issues. Best kept for race day, not daily training.

Bottom Line:
    This is kinda moot since the ES series rim was discontinued in 2007, except that the newer SL Premiums appear to have many of the same design characteristics. I purchased these as upgrades to Ksyrium Elites that came on my Scott Addict. They look great, but suffered from two reliability issues - paint and fatigue life. First, the red hub started peeling from the hub. I was told this was caused by solvents, but I use the same cycling-specific cleaners/lubes on the rest of my bike and this is the only part that had issues. Strikes me as more of a defect. The second, and bigger issue was that the rim failed after probably less than two years of use. A spoke broke unexpectedly, and was unrepairable due to a long crack at the spoke eyelet. I realize there is a tradeoff between light weight and durability, and that aluminum parts don't last forever, but I've not had these issues with other rims and wheelsets in the past.

Purchased At:   Friend - pulled from