Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelsets - clincher

4.13/5 (16 Reviews)

Mavic Ksyrium SL features a new consistent graphic design which highlights the exclusive technologies developed year after year and gathered in the new Ksyrium SL, such as ISM, Fore, Zicral, Isopulse.... A high performance wheelset you can rely on. 1485g

Submitted by trek

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    light and fast

Weaknesses:    found three cracks in the rear rim

Bottom Line:
must of had a problem with this year,a friend had the same problem,mavic rebuild them for us,still waiting for there return.

Submitted by Soundtallica

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2012

Strengths:    Light and great for climbing, no spoke holes in rim bed, cool looking wheels, solid feeling and bombproof, accelerates and maintains speed well

Weaknesses:    They get very squirrelly on steep windy downhills, stiff (but not jarring) ride quality, needs special tools to true, spokes and nipples are way too expensive

Bottom Line:
So far these wheels have been a joy to ride. They are very light and feel great when climbing or accelerating, while also feeling tough and bombproof for confidence at high speeds and when cornering. On the flats, the spokes give these wheels a slight aero advantage and they seem to hold momentum well. They also look really cool, and can be set up tubeless very easily because the rim bed has no spokes. An instant performance upgrade for any bike.

The SLs are not perfect though. Maintenance costs are high, as special tools are needed to true them and the spokes cost $12 each! Luckily since they are so strong we can avoid it most of the time. Also, because of the massive bladed spokes and light weight, these wheels also get squirrelly when descending windy steep roads.

Overall though, the Ksyrium SLs are a good solid wheel that's enough for any rider, and great for those who love to climb.

Submitted by Dennis M. Giaruso

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    Beautiful! No need for rim tape since the spoke holes do not open into the innertube chamber.

Weaknesses:    I certainly have not found any.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2011 version of these Mavic wheels. Whoever designed these wheels for looks really knew what s/he was doing. The wheels look like fine jewelry with the red anodized hubs and spoke, flat spokes, black anodizing, scallops between the spokes, etc., etc. They really dressed up my Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 recumbent bike with 700C wheels. Do they make my bike go any faster? Who really knows, but they surely are purdy. The wheels seem to feel stronger and much tighter than the wheels they replaced whose spokes were always coming loose on me. Additionally, the Mavic wheels are about 182 grams lighter than the wheels they replaced. Considering the fine craftsmanship, I feel the price they are charging for these wheels is excellent. I absolutely love these wheels and I'd HIGHLY recommend them.

Submitted by Hairy Palms a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Exceptionally predictable. Stiff. Beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Not very strong

Bottom Line:
I got a screaming deal on these as they came new on another bike but that customer wanted the Shimano Dura Ace's so I got these. Performance wise these wheels were flawless. Responsive, stiff (maybe a little to stiff)tracked very well and are light. Not the claimed weight but still light. I'm a long distance rider and do a lot of century, double and triple century rides. I had put just over 4,000 miles on these and I lost a spoke. I was able to ziptie the spoke to get back on but it through the wheel so out of true I had to remove the brake pad. After taking it to my LBS they found 3 different cracks in the rim. Mavic was good enough to replace it but not until my LBS had to argue with them. I was technically out of warranty but with rims at this price they should last a lot longer then 4,000 miles. I didn't go out of my way to abuse them and I only weigh between 140 to 145 pounds so I don't believe it to me my fault.

Favorite Ride:   Davis Double Century

Purchased At:   Saddleback Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium ES and Equipes. Easton and Ultegras.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR 02
Ultegra groupo

Submitted by onza a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    See above.

Weaknesses:    Mavic wheels a bit harder to true due to nipples and bladed spokes. Also, Mavic is IMPOSSIBLE to contact direct...NEVER answered my questions...so this is reason for lower rating

Bottom Line:
Great set of wheels. Strong, light and stay true. Hubs spin very nicely and bearings easy to service.

Favorite Ride:   Big Bear, CA

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Easton

Bike Setup:   Specialized S Works

Mavic Ksyrium SL vs. Reynolds Assault - which are better climbing wheels?

i have 2 sets of wheels, silver ksyrium sl at 1550g and assault clinchers at 1487g. ive been using the reynolds wheels as climbing wheels, but sometimes i wonder if the ksyriums actually have less rotational inertia. the rims on the mavics must be lighter, though the spokes are clearly heavier, an ... Read More »

In search of 2003-4 Ksyrium SSC SL rear rim

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]I am looking for a silver replacement rim for my Mavic 2003-4 Ksyrium SSC SL rear wheel. Can anyone point me to a source?[/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000] Mavic does not have a suitable rim available and I have come up dry on eBay. Here are some additional details. [/COLOR] [/SIZE] ... Read More »

mavic ksyrium sl for cross?

I have a pair of sl's kicking around and finally getting into cross how would these hold up to the mud dirt impact of cross? Is it easy to run them tubeless or not bother. Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks!Read More »

Mavic Ksyrium SL hub question

Mavic recommends using their own mineral oil to lube the freewheel, bushing and rubber seal. I don't have it nor I can get it where I am now. What other oil could I use without creating more problems? I've heard that hydraulic brake mineral oil or 5w suspension fork oil would work. Any thoughts?Read More »

Ksyrium SL bearings?

Do these wheels (2012) come with ceramic bearings? I see QRM+, but no explanation as to steel/hybrid/ceramic. Thanks for any info. -Bianchi BobRead More »