Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheelsets - clincher

The Ksyrium SLR Wheel System brings Mavic's unique integrated tire and rim technology to one of the lightest Ksyrium wheels. By integrating a specific tire to each wheel Mavic can better control how the stresses from the tire affect the rim and wheel and thus how the wheel performs overall. As an added plus the integration provides a consistent graphical approach to your tires and wheels.

Submitted by PaulS

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    Brakes

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
After about 4 months of using these, I have this to add. I got caught in a Brisbane downpour and the road/rider/wheels got totally saturated! However the brakes remained quite effective (unlike my old wheels/brakes). They stopped me from overshooting a downhill intersection and saved me from being collected by a car. Whatever the price, the brake system makes them worth it.

Submitted by Paul S

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    Lightness and strength is above average. Looks are average (but that's subjective). Braking is very good. Takes either tubed or tubless. Doesn't need rim tape. Comes with great tires and brake pads and adjustment tools and nice wheel bags.

Weaknesses:    PRICE. Poor aerodynamics due to silly rear spokes. Brake pad life is suspect, even with the exolith pads. Mat black paint on spokes chips easily.

Bottom Line:
I've had my Ksyrium SL wheels for 10 years now and they were looking a bit shabby but still worked like they could've done another 10 years easily. I decided to try the Ksyrium SLRs. I think the Ksyrium SL was the best training/recreational wheel ever made, and Mavic have been having problems coming up with something better - in fact, they haven't!

The Good: The come fitted with a good set of Yksion tires and tubes, nice wheel bags, tools for adjusting spokes and bearings, and even the little magnet for your speedo. They are noticeably lighter than the old Ksyrium SL and weighed 1412 on my less-than-accurate scales. The old gear cluster (Shimano 10speed) slid easily onto the hub and I didn't even have to re-adjust the derailleur. They require no rim tape, thanks to the great system of spoke fitment. On my first ride, I used my old, still new, brake pads. Big mistake! Howled like a Banshee. I installed the proper Exalith pads with about 1mm toe-in and the braking has been superb with only a mouse squeek heard at low speed. If you need better braking - you'll need to put disc brakes on your bike. They spin up quickly on acceleration from dead stop and ride beautifully on the straight and level. They transmit good feel to the rider, including the bumps! (But no worse than the old SL) The appearance of the wheels is - umm - OK I suppose, but that's really personal taste I suppose. So far, after 350 Km, they seem well made and solid. No broken spokes.

The Bad: For the price, I could have bought myself a decent set of carbon wheels. Hell! I could have bought a decent bike for that much! The pice was $1500 and should be under $1000. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone for something tasty from the American Classic or Shimano Dura Ace or Reynolds or Fulcrum instead of these. The rear wheel was slightly out of true when I installed it. No biggie. Only took 5 minutes to get it perfect - but still - should be perfect out of the bag. The aerodynamics of the rear wheel are ruined by Mavic choosing big fat, non-bladed, carbon spokes on the non-drive side. These spokes go right out to the edge of the hub and are hanging out there in the air-stream. I suppose their light weight compensates for the drag a little, but jeez - come on Mavic - I know you can do better than this. The bladed spokes are painted mat black and this will chip off revealing the silver underneath. Should be anodized. Buy a can of mat black spray. The proprietory "Exolith" brake pads work a treat, but judging by the amount of rubber the corrugated brake surface rubbed off, I don't think these will last very long. That's really just a nitpick.

Overall: I'm 7/10 happy with these wheels, but for the money, I should be 11/10 exstatic! Only time will tell as to their durability.

Submitted by Emil Skobeloff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very attractive looking on my Merlin.

Weaknesses:    Great until a spoke breaks. Loud braking even after 500+ miles.

Bottom Line:
Have been riding them for about 500 miles. Have had three spokes snap at the insertion to the rim. My Ksyrium ES's were my bombproof mainstays until they wore out after thousands of miles. I am stunned at the poor quality of this wheelset. Mavic YOU CAN DO MUCH BETTER.

Favorite Ride:   I love them all. Even those that hurt.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium ES

Bike Setup:   Merlin Exrtralight with Shimano 9000 drivetrain

Submitted by Mike a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light, solid, roll like butter

Weaknesses:    busted spoke, rear drive-side

Bottom Line:
I'd love to give these a glowing review but after busting a spoke my hopes that these would last like my Ksyrium SL's did faded quickly. I'll send 'em back in and keep my fingers crossed that it was a bad spoke but it really shatters your confidence. Maybe Mavic tried going too light with these where it counted??

Favorite Ride:   Any mountain

Purchased At:   Slane Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium SL

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S2

Submitted by cyclist_sg

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light enough, bombproof and excellent braking if properly set up.

Very stealthy matt black surface which goes with most bike schemes.

Weaknesses:    PRICE! Consumers pay for the over-engineering of an existing known product (Ksyrium), repackaged into something new. There are cheaper options (SL/SR) that does just about the same performance.

Have to use specific brake pads for the Exalith surface or its doomsday for your normal pads. You will need earplugs if the toe-in is not correctly done.

Bottom Line:
Stiff and bomb-proof wheelset that works especially well on buttery smooth roads. Quality hallmarks of Mavic promise. Weight was pretty close to spec so I had no issue with it.

Once the wheels spins up to speed, it was not hard keeping it. Stiff on climbs and you can feel the positive energy transfer with each pedal stroke.

MAVIC Ksyrium SLR or SLS?

I am purchasing a women's Cannondale DI2 EVO. I have been riding with the older Ksyrium SL wheels on my current bike and love them. I thought that I would "up" the wheels this time by going to the SLR wheelset. The SLRs are actually heavier than the SLS wheelset so what is the advantage? I know the ... Read More »

Mavic Ksyrium SLR Rear Hub Maintenance

In the past I have had 2 diferent sets of Mavic wheels, Ksyrium Sl's and R-Sys. Both had a hub that had an outboard sealed bearing in the cassette body but on the inboard side....a lage plastic? bushing that rode right on the aluminum of the hub. Mavic reccommended cleaning and re-lubeing of that b ... Read More »

MAVIC Ksyrium R-SYS-SLR Vs Mavic Ksyrium SLR

Hello guys, I already bought Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheelset where the front wheel has Aluminum spokes and rear wheel has Aluminum and Carbon spokes. I didn't mount the wheel on the bike, so I have a great opportunity to return the set. I am thinking about buying the R-Sys SLR where the front wheel ... Read More »

2012 Reynolds 46 Clincher or 2012 Mavic Ksyrium SLR Clincher

Just got the 2012 Orbea Orca Silver and just need some recommendations on these wheelsets. Looking for an all-around set that's fast on flats, a great climber and reliable as well. I can get either one for about the same price for the set. For now, I'm using my 11" Reynolds Attack clincher from my B ... Read More »

Mavic Ksyrium SLR

I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheelset. I am considering them for a new Moots RSL bike that I am building up. I should mention that I am a bit of a hefty rider at 185lbs and 5'9" tall although I hope to be down to 170lbs within a few months. I got back into bikin ... Read More »