Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheelsets - clincher

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

The Ksyrium SLR Wheel System brings Mavic's unique integrated tire and rim technology to one of the lightest Ksyrium wheels. By integrating a specific tire to each wheel Mavic can better control how the stresses from the tire affect the rim and wheel and thus how the wheel performs overall. As an added plus the integration provides a consistent graphical approach to your tires and wheels.

Submitted by Harry

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight and responsive making them an exceptional climbing wheel. Breaking surface is good in the wet and shows little wear after 18 months.

Weaknesses:    Rear drive side spoke has failed 3 times. This is very disappointing especially when far from home.
Fortunately this has not occurred at speed.

Bottom Line:
A great lightweight wheel but has poor reliability and can't be trusted.

Submitted by ron

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2014

Strengths:    The carbon spokes in the rear must be the reason these wheels accelerate so well. They are substantially more responsive than my Zipp 404's, although obviously not aero. But you'd have to be pretty uninformed to expect them to be aero; that's not the design goal. Mavic have aero wheels if you want them.
And the overall quality is gorgeous. Even the tires that come mounted are pretty good.

Weaknesses:    The skewers are typically Mavic skewers, heavy and they rattle. I use my steel Zipps and they cut a couple ounces.

Bottom Line:
If you need clinchers and you like the all black look, these are a great choice,especially if you live in a hilly area.
Oh--and you need to not be bothered by the whirring sound when braking. I kind of like it actually.

Submitted by PaulS

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    Brakes

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
After about 4 months of using these, I have this to add. I got caught in a Brisbane downpour and the road/rider/wheels got totally saturated! However the brakes remained quite effective (unlike my old wheels/brakes). They stopped me from overshooting a downhill intersection and saved me from being collected by a car. Whatever the price, the brake system makes them worth it.

Submitted by Paul S

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    Lightness and strength is above average. Looks are average (but that's subjective). Braking is very good. Takes either tubed or tubless. Doesn't need rim tape. Comes with great tires and brake pads and adjustment tools and nice wheel bags.

Weaknesses:    PRICE. Poor aerodynamics due to silly rear spokes. Brake pad life is suspect, even with the exolith pads. Mat black paint on spokes chips easily.

Bottom Line:
I've had my Ksyrium SL wheels for 10 years now and they were looking a bit shabby but still worked like they could've done another 10 years easily. I decided to try the Ksyrium SLRs. I think the Ksyrium SL was the best training/recreational wheel ever made, and Mavic have been having problems coming up with something better - in fact, they haven't!

The Good: The come fitted with a good set of Yksion tires and tubes, nice wheel bags, tools for adjusting spokes and bearings, and even the little magnet for your speedo. They are noticeably lighter than the old Ksyrium SL and weighed 1412 on my less-than-accurate scales. The old gear cluster (Shimano 10speed) slid easily onto the hub and I didn't even have to re-adjust the derailleur. They require no rim tape, thanks to the great system of spoke fitment. On my first ride, I used my old, still new, brake pads. Big mistake! Howled like a Banshee. I installed the proper Exalith pads with about 1mm toe-in and the braking has been superb with only a mouse squeek heard at low speed. If you need better braking - you'll need to put disc brakes on your bike. They spin up quickly on acceleration from dead stop and ride beautifully on the straight and level. They transmit good feel to the rider, including the bumps! (But no worse than the old SL) The appearance of the wheels is - umm - OK I suppose, but that's really personal taste I suppose. So far, after 350 Km, they seem well made and solid. No broken spokes.

The Bad: For the price, I could have bought myself a decent set of carbon wheels. Hell! I could have bought a decent bike for that much! The pice was $1500 and should be under $1000. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone for something tasty from the American Classic or Shimano Dura Ace or Reynolds or Fulcrum instead of these. The rear wheel was slightly out of true when I installed it. No biggie. Only took 5 minutes to get it perfect - but still - should be perfect out of the bag. The aerodynamics of the rear wheel are ruined by Mavic choosing big fat, non-bladed, carbon spokes on the non-drive side. These spokes go right out to the edge of the hub and are hanging out there in the air-stream. I suppose their light weight compensates for the drag a little, but jeez - come on Mavic - I know you can do better than this. The bladed spokes are painted mat black and this will chip off revealing the silver underneath. Should be anodized. Buy a can of mat black spray. The proprietory "Exolith" brake pads work a treat, but judging by the amount of rubber the corrugated brake surface rubbed off, I don't think these will last very long. That's really just a nitpick.

Overall: I'm 7/10 happy with these wheels, but for the money, I should be 11/10 exstatic! Only time will tell as to their durability.

Submitted by Emil Skobeloff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very attractive looking on my Merlin.

Weaknesses:    Great until a spoke breaks. Loud braking even after 500+ miles.

Bottom Line:
Have been riding them for about 500 miles. Have had three spokes snap at the insertion to the rim. My Ksyrium ES's were my bombproof mainstays until they wore out after thousands of miles. I am stunned at the poor quality of this wheelset. Mavic YOU CAN DO MUCH BETTER.

Favorite Ride:   I love them all. Even those that hurt.