Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheelsets - clincher

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

The Ksyrium SL Wheelset delivers a combination of Mavic's most innovative technologies with a new head-turning aesthetic. Race proven features include ISM InterSpoke Milling rim technology and extra-light components including the FTS-L freehub Zicral spokes a carbon front hub.

Submitted by berserk87 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2014

Strengths:    These wheels roll smoothly. They are comfortable. They are light.

Weaknesses:    These are not the Ksyriums of old - neither stiff, nor durable.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these last April via a team deal from my local shop. I have a set of the original Ksyrium wheels via the same deal/shop when the Ksyrium was first released (I think back in the late 1990's or around 2000?), and was hoping for an updated version of the same.

I have never had my original Ksyriums serviced but to have new bearings put in the back wheel 2 years ago. They are true, stiff, and durable. I have raced and trained on them for years. I have ridden them in some horrible winter weather. I am a wheel-destroyer, typically, and these have survived me. I weigh about 190 to 200 pounds, depending on the season and like to hammer. In my opinion, the original run of the Ksyrium was the best factory wheel ever made (to suit my needs, anyway).

Naturally, I thought that the latest-greatest version would offer more of the same, with updates and improvements. The wheels are lighter, and seem to roll forever.

They are not stiff. I have tried 2 different types of tires with them with various pressures (the Mavic tires that are included are really nice, fyi) and they are rather flexy. This equates to some degree of comfort, but I also sense some loss of power transfer. Oddly, really rough road surfaces seem to bring unwanted flex and loss of control, as the wheels are unpredictably "bouncy" compared to my old Ksyriums.

In May of last year a front spoke broke on a seated climb, which was very odd. Took it to the shop and the spoke was replaced. Then in June, I broke another spoke on a flat stretch in a paceline when I hit a small dip in the road. Seven other folks hit the same dip with no issues. Took it to my shop, and then it was sent to Mavic's contract repair center in the US for a complete front re-spoke (which was about a 30-day turnaround).

The same month, the spoke tension in my rear wheel slackened a bunch for some reason, and I had to take it to the shop to have it re-tensioned.

I have a teammate that bought the same wheels this current year. He had a spokes break on both front and then rear, on separate rides. The rear also had a issue with the rear hub biding: spinning the wheel would result in the wheel turning about once and coming to a stop. The shop could not diagnose why, and Mavic sent a replacement set.

His first ride on the replacement set resulted in a front spoke coming almost completely loose. We had to release his front brake cable to allow clearance enough to make it home.

Then, last month, my back wheel rim cracked, as it appears that a spoke nipple is coming through the rim itself. I can't recall ever having a Mavic rim crack on me.

I like Mavic as a company, and wanted to like these wheels. I think what has happened is that all of the attempts to lighten the Ksyrium has resulted in a compromised wheel in terms of durability. The rims are milled out and the spoke gauge is much smaller compared to the originals. I might also be pushing the practical weight limit for these wheels, but my teammate is much lighter than med and had the similar issues.

To Mavic's credit, they took care of both my friend and me. They went above and beyond to satisfy us and that gives the story a happy ending. I would rather not advertise what Mavic did for us, but I have to say thank you to the company and to my local shop for their response.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium, Mavic Cosmic, Mavic Reflex rims, Mavic CXP 33 rims, Mavic Open Pro rims.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Helix with Dura Ace 9 speed; Kestrel carbon bars, Zipp carbon cranks, Thomson seatpost and stem, Chris King headset.

Submitted by Jim Ethridge a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Fast and Lightweight with a good road feel.

Weaknesses:    Not as smooth as I would like but felt good with a few #'s of psi let out.

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels to replace my R-sys carbon spoke wheelset when I learned of all the spoke problems riders were going through. Mavic says they fixed this years model (2013) and nobody is complaining and I had no problems whatsoever for 2500 mi. but I just felt more comfortable going with Mavic SLS wheels. I have about 2000 mi. on the SLS wheelset and and I couldn't be more happier. I replaced the tires Mavic sends standard with Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and run 100 psi. This combo feels very smooth and plenty fast.

Favorite Ride:   100K-Century

Similar Products Used:   Kysrium Elite, Kysrium Equipe, Cosmic Elite, R-sys

Bike Setup:   Ti frame, carbon seat post, carbon handlebars, carbon fork.

Submitted by Steve Mazeski

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2013

Strengths:    Roll very well and look real good too

Weaknesses:    The spokes are junk.

Bottom Line:
I have broken three front wheel spokes in one year (about 6000 miles), and it takes three weeks to get replacements. I am very disappointed in the durability of these wheels since I paid top dollar for them. Its very frustrating that not only do these spokes not last but it takes SO long to get replacement spokes/wheels.

Submitted by Taz mechanic a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    I will say this 3013 Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheel-set performs very well in all conditions, looks pretty sharp and the weight is in and around 1300g per set.

Weaknesses:    Mavic Company had out sourced this wheel to be built in Romania. In my past experience with Mavic Ksyrium wheels that were hand built in France and bullet proof, in fact I am still running a set of 2006 Mavic Ksyrium Elites that have no mechanical problems to date. How did I get so many miles out of the Elites? By keeping the free body clean and lubed on a regular bases. the pre-installed tires don’t even compare to any Continental tire.

Bottom Line:
I broke a front spoke at or about 1200 miles. The problem is that spoke availability is slim to none, one bike shop said they could and order but only in a package of 10 spokes at $5 dollars apiece and $20 dollars for shipping, while another said they would call the rep but never got back to me, forget that. We ended up matching an older Ksyrium SL spoke that had three differences, one was the length was 2mm longer, second the blade was a bit wider and lastly the nipple is the 7mm wrench size not the new 8mm. please note the hook side and the threads are the same. The new spoke works like A champ and really un-noticeable. As for MP3 fix it plan its non-existent pretty much a $95.00 waste of money. Resale value is crap I am stuck with a $1200 blunder. Mavic what happend!?

Favorite Ride:   Rist Canyon Ft Collins CO

Purchased At:   LBS in Cheyenne

Similar Products Used:   2006 Mavic Ksyrium Elites, Easton EA90

Bike Setup:   Merlin WorksCR Ti, Dura-ace

Submitted by Sworker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    I got this 2013 wheel set on Friday and got 25-35-58 miles on the next consecutive days. I have had 3 sets of Roval Carbon wheels on this bike since new, having issues with each set. I finally had a spoke break and now cannot get the wheel into true, last straw, time for new wheels. I didn't want areo wheels again and wanted a solid braking surface. These are just the ticket. They are fast, climb nice, decent great, and the braking surface is EXCELLENT. And to make things even nicer they come with Mavic tires pre-installed. I don't know that I will go back this tire again, but how nice is it to just swap my cassette and gas the tires up and go!

Weaknesses:    You can tell they are not the most aerodynamic wheels in the world.

Bottom Line:
Great value from LBS, very strong, light and the price is right. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

Favorite Ride:   San Mateo Coastside (home base)