Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheelsets - clincher

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

The Ksyrium SL Wheelset delivers a combination of Mavic's most innovative technologies with a new head-turning aesthetic. Race proven features include ISM InterSpoke Milling rim technology and extra-light components including the FTS-L freehub Zicral spokes a carbon front hub.

Submitted by P Young

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2017

Strengths:    I find the ride on these wheels to be fine. For me, just the right amount of stiffnesss.

Weaknesses:    Original spokes were very brittle.

Bottom Line:
Reading other reviews, I had the same experience with the spokes. I broke several front spokes on the front wheel (nothing on the rear). I weigh 155 lbs. They broke early on after getting them brand new from my LBS. After four years, I got so fed up and completely lost confidence in my wheels that I went back to my LBS and they called Mavic for me. Got to hand it to Mavic customer service, even though the wheels were two years out of warranty, they immediately acknowledged the structural problem and rebuilt the front wheel with all new spokes and gave me a brand new rear wheel (not sure why, since I never had an issue with that one). They paid all shipping costs and gave a two-week turnaround. Kudos to my LBS for representing my interest and kudos to Mavic customer service for doing the right thing. I now feel confident to ride these wheels again.

Submitted by Eddie a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2015

Strengths:    light fast

Weaknesses:    rims crack very easy search youtube for cracked ksyrium SLS

Bottom Line:
had the old red set Woow still have them and rolling great got the new black and while OMG nightmare bought on chainreactioncycles.com you will find the video on youtube the rim cracked on drive side spokes after 6 months seems this is a common problem with the black and white. turns out there is a weight restriction on them but the websites are not advertising this well would you SELL SELL SELL lol.

Purchased At:   chainreactions

Similar Products Used:   RED ksyrium SLS excellent wheel 4 years and no problems lost count of miles on them

Bike Setup:   carbon merida and ultegra group

Submitted by berserk87 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2014

Strengths:    These wheels roll smoothly. They are comfortable. They are light.

Weaknesses:    These are not the Ksyriums of old - neither stiff, nor durable.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these last April via a team deal from my local shop. I have a set of the original Ksyrium wheels via the same deal/shop when the Ksyrium was first released (I think back in the late 1990's or around 2000?), and was hoping for an updated version of the same.

I have never had my original Ksyriums serviced but to have new bearings put in the back wheel 2 years ago. They are true, stiff, and durable. I have raced and trained on them for years. I have ridden them in some horrible winter weather. I am a wheel-destroyer, typically, and these have survived me. I weigh about 190 to 200 pounds, depending on the season and like to hammer. In my opinion, the original run of the Ksyrium was the best factory wheel ever made (to suit my needs, anyway).

Naturally, I thought that the latest-greatest version would offer more of the same, with updates and improvements. The wheels are lighter, and seem to roll forever.

They are not stiff. I have tried 2 different types of tires with them with various pressures (the Mavic tires that are included are really nice, fyi) and they are rather flexy. This equates to some degree of comfort, but I also sense some loss of power transfer. Oddly, really rough road surfaces seem to bring unwanted flex and loss of control, as the wheels are unpredictably "bouncy" compared to my old Ksyriums.

In May of last year a front spoke broke on a seated climb, which was very odd. Took it to the shop and the spoke was replaced. Then in June, I broke another spoke on a flat stretch in a paceline when I hit a small dip in the road. Seven other folks hit the same dip with no issues. Took it to my shop, and then it was sent to Mavic's contract repair center in the US for a complete front re-spoke (which was about a 30-day turnaround).

The same month, the spoke tension in my rear wheel slackened a bunch for some reason, and I had to take it to the shop to have it re-tensioned.

I have a teammate that bought the same wheels this current year. He had a spokes break on both front and then rear, on separate rides. The rear also had a issue with the rear hub biding: spinning the wheel would result in the wheel turning about once and coming to a stop. The shop could not diagnose why, and Mavic sent a replacement set.

His first ride on the replacement set resulted in a front spoke coming almost completely loose. We had to release his front brake cable to allow clearance enough to make it home.

Then, last month, my back wheel rim cracked, as it appears that a spoke nipple is coming through the rim itself. I can't recall ever having a Mavic rim crack on me.

I like Mavic as a company, and wanted to like these wheels. I think what has happened is that all of the attempts to lighten the Ksyrium has resulted in a compromised wheel in terms of durability. The rims are milled out and the spoke gauge is much smaller compared to the originals. I might also be pushing the practical weight limit for these wheels, but my teammate is much lighter than med and had the similar issues.

To Mavic's credit, they took care of both my friend and me. They went above and beyond to satisfy us and that gives the story a happy ending. I would rather not advertise what Mavic did for us, but I have to say thank you to the company and to my local shop for their response.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Ksyrium, Mavic Cosmic, Mavic Reflex rims, Mavic CXP 33 rims, Mavic Open Pro rims.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Helix with Dura Ace 9 speed; Kestrel carbon bars, Zipp carbon cranks, Thomson seatpost and stem, Chris King headset.

Submitted by Jim Ethridge a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Fast and Lightweight with a good road feel.

Weaknesses:    Not as smooth as I would like but felt good with a few #'s of psi let out.

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels to replace my R-sys carbon spoke wheelset when I learned of all the spoke problems riders were going through. Mavic says they fixed this years model (2013) and nobody is complaining and I had no problems whatsoever for 2500 mi. but I just felt more comfortable going with Mavic SLS wheels. I have about 2000 mi. on the SLS wheelset and and I couldn't be more happier. I replaced the tires Mavic sends standard with Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and run 100 psi. This combo feels very smooth and plenty fast.

Favorite Ride:   100K-Century