Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelsets - clincher

4.27/5 (214 Reviews)

• UB Control braking surface
  • Integrated freewheel hub with FTS-L system
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings QRM.
  • Aerodynamic Zycral straight pull spokes with integrated auto-lock aluminum nipples and anti-rotation system.
  • 18 front spokes, 20 rear spokes.
  • Radial front spokes, Isopulse rear spokes.
  • Weight:
     ø 700 clincher: Front 690g / Rear 840g M10.
     ø 700 tubular: Front 680g / Rear 830g.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by MGS Recreational Rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2015

Strengths:    Bomb Proof for > 200 lbs riders
    Excellent Value to weight ratio
    Smooth & Fast Ride
    Minimal upkeep
    Fanstastic Durability

Bottom Line:
    I bought these back in 2004 new for my Al Cannondale Triple R800 bike for doing century rides and sports training. I than switched them out to my new Cannondale Ultegra Carbon Synapse that came with the Mavic Equipe wheel set which I put on the R800 and sold them. Just today I found out from my LBS that my rear wheel has some cracks in them and they need to rebuild the rim which will cost $150 + labor + $4 for the spoke. That is 11 &1/2 years of use and I weigh over 210lbs these days since riding less then I used to (40- 60miles/wk versus 200-300/week). These rims have a lot of miles on them as I use to ride about 4-5K+ miles/year when I wasn't flying around the globe and could ride to and from work. It always makes me laugh when people are talking about shaving a couple of hundred grams off since a lot easier & cheaper to lose that off my rear end then spend all the extra $$ on rims. So the newer rims are about 6 - 7oz less at 170 - 200g so if concerned about weight I'm sure you can find other places to lose the weight. I carry a lot of extra's in my wedge bag and Camelback.

These rims are smooth, fast and bomb proof for us "bigger guys" and came recommended to me from several bike shops and friends when I was looking. I have broken 4 spokes over the last 11&1/2 years out where I live. This was mainly due to hittin potholes (one was large and very deep) or debris on the street and that I couldn't see due to being in the shade or looking directly into the sun, so my fault. As for the aerodynamics, the only time I notice it is in a heavy crosswind of > 14+ mph AND if a big truck or SUV comes roaring close by me at the same time usually doing > 50 mph. Other then that no issues and great aerodynamics into a headwind (if you consider headwind great). I do not hesitate to recommend them to my riding partners.

Favorite Ride:   Anything over 20 miles

Purchased At:   Bike Shop over Craig

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Shimano, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Synapse Ultega mid-compact 10 spd
    Tires are Specialized Armadillo All Condition Pro with Tire Liners

Submitted by jayB a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2015

Strengths:    Fast, solid, comfy, and quiet

Weaknesses:    bought mine used so needs some work

Bottom Line:
    love this wheels already after. my first ride. bought mine used from eBay. this wheels feels pretty solid, almost one of those pro level bikes and also pretty quiet. to my surprise the ride is not even harsh. i have the elite and my butt will scream after 45 mins. since i bought it used my issue is that is a bit heavy to pedal. so it needs some work done. i'm thinking about replacing the bearings eventually. the brakes too is strong - much better than my elite. Boy, does it grab! for now it's hard to accelerate and pretty much doubt i can climb. but if i ever fix it, i'm more incline to buy another. i'm apprehensive of buying the SL S because it might not give me the same ride and feel. these wheels feel very solid. if YOU can ride more 20mph and hold it, consider yourself a pro because pedaling after 20mph get much easier.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   mavic ksyrium elite

Bike Setup:   fuji SST 3.0tapes
    ultegra 53/39 cranks and brakes
    11-28 cassette

Submitted by Darren Dutton a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2014

Strengths:    Durable, reasonably light, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Probably not the most supple wheel out there.

Bottom Line:
    The last two reviews from Jordan and Thunders prompted me to offer my 2 cents. I have to agree with Jordan in that Thunders doesn't have a clue. I've been riding a set of SSC SLs for at least twelve years. Bottom line is they been virtually bombproof. I've had to have them trued one time, otherwise they have been great wheels. Arguably I don't have a lot to compare them to, but in my opinion (if the quality remains the same) these are a great all around wheel set for the $$$. Good climbers and reasonably aero I ride in a lot of windy conditions & thus far have never found myself in the ditch due to the bladed spokes catching the wind. I recently bought a set of Reynolds Assault carbon aero wheels and they catch much more crosswinds than the Mavic SSC SLs. Also was very disappointed to have a spoke break after less than 500 miles on the Reynolds. Back to the Mavics - for $$$ you can't go wrong. Great all around wheel set which at least for me have lasted for years!

Favorite Ride:   the last one

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds Assault

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R5, SRAM Red

Submitted by Jordan

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Don't know.

Weaknesses:    Don't know.

Bottom Line:
    I haven't ridden these wheels, but I'm writing to discredit John Thunders' review from March 24, 2014 because it's asinine.

A 1500g clincher is reasonably light and certainly is not the threshold for a heavy wheel. Sure, the claimed 1510g for the Ksyrium SSC SL is not Super Light as the SL would imply, but it's more or less on par with wheels at its price point.

And the claim that you can build your own 900g wheelset? Lunacy! You're looking at roughly 375g per rim (Stan's), plus about 300g total for the American Classic hubs, plus 4.25g a piece for Sapim's CX. Even if you only lace 18 front and 20 rear, that's still another 161g. That gives you an 1211g wheel. Really light, but nowhere near 900g. Don't get me started on that $500 estimate either, which is off my several hundred plus labor.

And don't worry about "end-up"ing in a ditch. Bladed spokes are barely noticeable.

In short, John Thunders is an idiot.

Submitted by John Thunders

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    They are strong and that's about as far as their strengths go.

Weaknesses:    Heavy .Any wheelset that's 1500 + grams is heavy. They are made that way to avoid collapsing under the weight of 200 lb riders. It's all about liability. If you want light wheels (900 gram total) then build your own.
    American Classic hubs, Sapim cx-ray spokes and Chinese rims. There you have it all for about $500.

Bottom Line:
    Fine if you ride weekends on a calm day. When these wheels with their wide spokes get rolling it's like riding a solid wheel. Expect to end-up in a ditch somewhere.

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!