Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelsets - clincher

4.26/5 (212 Reviews)

• UB Control braking surface
  • Integrated freewheel hub with FTS-L system
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings QRM.
  • Aerodynamic Zycral straight pull spokes with integrated auto-lock aluminum nipples and anti-rotation system.
  • 18 front spokes, 20 rear spokes.
  • Radial front spokes, Isopulse rear spokes.
  • Weight:
     ø 700 clincher: Front 690g / Rear 840g M10.
     ø 700 tubular: Front 680g / Rear 830g.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Darren Dutton a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2014

Strengths:    Durable, reasonably light, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Probably not the most supple wheel out there.

Bottom Line:
    The last two reviews from Jordan and Thunders prompted me to offer my 2 cents. I have to agree with Jordan in that Thunders doesn't have a clue. I've been riding a set of SSC SLs for at least twelve years. Bottom line is they been virtually bombproof. I've had to have them trued one time, otherwise they have been great wheels. Arguably I don't have a lot to compare them to, but in my opinion (if the quality remains the same) these are a great all around wheel set for the $$$. Good climbers and reasonably aero I ride in a lot of windy conditions & thus far have never found myself in the ditch due to the bladed spokes catching the wind. I recently bought a set of Reynolds Assault carbon aero wheels and they catch much more crosswinds than the Mavic SSC SLs. Also was very disappointed to have a spoke break after less than 500 miles on the Reynolds. Back to the Mavics - for $$$ you can't go wrong. Great all around wheel set which at least for me have lasted for years!

Favorite Ride:   the last one

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds Assault

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R5, SRAM Red

Submitted by Jordan

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Don't know.

Weaknesses:    Don't know.

Bottom Line:
    I haven't ridden these wheels, but I'm writing to discredit John Thunders' review from March 24, 2014 because it's asinine.

A 1500g clincher is reasonably light and certainly is not the threshold for a heavy wheel. Sure, the claimed 1510g for the Ksyrium SSC SL is not Super Light as the SL would imply, but it's more or less on par with wheels at its price point.

And the claim that you can build your own 900g wheelset? Lunacy! You're looking at roughly 375g per rim (Stan's), plus about 300g total for the American Classic hubs, plus 4.25g a piece for Sapim's CX. Even if you only lace 18 front and 20 rear, that's still another 161g. That gives you an 1211g wheel. Really light, but nowhere near 900g. Don't get me started on that $500 estimate either, which is off my several hundred plus labor.

And don't worry about "end-up"ing in a ditch. Bladed spokes are barely noticeable.

In short, John Thunders is an idiot.

Submitted by John Thunders

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    They are strong and that's about as far as their strengths go.

Weaknesses:    Heavy .Any wheelset that's 1500 + grams is heavy. They are made that way to avoid collapsing under the weight of 200 lb riders. It's all about liability. If you want light wheels (900 gram total) then build your own.
    American Classic hubs, Sapim cx-ray spokes and Chinese rims. There you have it all for about $500.

Bottom Line:
    Fine if you ride weekends on a calm day. When these wheels with their wide spokes get rolling it's like riding a solid wheel. Expect to end-up in a ditch somewhere.

Submitted by dhtucker4 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Strengths:    Light, never go out of true, meant for great tires, no need for rim tape, very strong.

Weaknesses:    Adjustable bearings in the rear, Zicral spokes need a Mavic-made spoke key, and Mavic hubs.

Bottom Line:
    Bombproof wheels. 'Nuff said. I find that the Zicral spokes are not as bad as having a high-profile wheelset, no trouble with crosswinds. Potholes, etc. - these wheels shrug them off and keep on truckin'. Some people in my riding group have the same wheelset and said they are too harsh or too stiff.

Favorite Ride:   Shiner Bash

Purchased At:   given

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Pro wheels, Coda wheels, Velocity Aerohead wheels, Easton Vista wheels.

Bike Setup:   Manhattan Project, 10-speed Chorus gruppo, Zipp crankset and bottom bracket, Vittoria Open Corsa 700X25 (rear) and Diamante Pro 700X23 (front), Thomson seatpost, Flite TransAm saddle, Deda shallow drop classic.

Submitted by Wayne Martinez a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    Never had to true. Never dented on severe hits. Tubeless without tape.

Weaknesses:    The aerodynamic spokes are affected by cross winds. For truth in advertizing, I have never used high profile rims. Due to high wind along Turnagain Arm,(30 to 55mph), standard rims are scary enough. Downhill descents in high winds seem to affect all wheels I've been on, but these hold the line at at higher speeds.

Bottom Line:
    Have been through multiple light weight weight wheel sets over the past 30 years and unless you weigh less than 160lbs. you can't beat these wheels. They will handle any weight division, from fly weight to sumo. They have stayed true after multiple misjudged jumps and potholes on nasty Alaskan roads. On top of that, tack on some tubeless tires without having to add tape, and you have wheels that will go for seasons without a flat. How many races have been lost due to a flat?

Favorite Ride:   Turnagain Pass

Purchased At:   Bike Dept.

Similar Products Used:   American Classic, nothing spins longer,but made for lightweights. Durace 7800s, they spin almost as long, but are 9 speed. Rolf, which I traded for the Ksyriums.

Bike Setup:   Parlee Z4, Durace 7900 Frt and 7800 long cage rear Deraileur, Durace 7800 brake /shifters, FSA cranks/Rotor Rings, Speedplay Ti pedals, Brooks Special Black Saddle-the most comfortable saddle in the world. Thompson Masterpiece black seat post. 3T Team Stem and Bars. Blackburn carbon fiber bottle cages. OK, do I qualify as a bike snob?

Help with the purchase of a used Mavic Ksyrium Ssc Sl wheelset

I know a guy who is selling a used Mavic Ksyrium Ssc Sl wheelset. How do I know if it is a good wheelset to purchase.? He is asking $250 and says it is in very good condition. It also comes with hubs and skewers along with Continental Grand Prix tires. I have not yet seen this wheelset, but befo ... Read More »

In search of 2003-4 Ksyrium SSC SL rear rim

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]I am looking for a silver replacement rim for my Mavic 2003-4 Ksyrium SSC SL rear wheel. Can anyone point me to a source?[/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000] Mavic does not have a suitable rim available and I have come up dry on eBay. Here are some additional details. [/COLOR] [/SIZE] ... Read More »

2002 Ksyrium SSC SL tubless conversion

Hey guys; I wanted to know if I can convert my 2002 Ksyrium SSC SL wheels to accept tubless tyres. Do I need to use something like [url=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17697]this[/url]? or do I need a full tubless conversion kit? I really have no idea on what I need to do s ... Read More »

2002 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL

I have a set of these wheels (2002) on a Jamis Eclipse steel bike which is sitting on the trainer. I am thinking of riding this bike outdoors again. What do you think of these wheels for fast group rides? Route is a mixture of hills and flats. Looks like these wheels weight about 715grams for the ... Read More »

2002 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL