Mavic Open Pro wheelsets - clincher

Shimano Ultegra 6700 hubs built on 32H Mavic Open Pro Rims using 14/15 gauge DB spokes with...

Submitted by carmic0 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2015

Strengths:    Strength. Looks. Mavic quality. Got these rims to replace some old Campys which were great but had brake wear. Campagnolo Record hubs laced with DT competition spokes are almost unbreakable. Five years of use and never out of true. When and if they wear out I will replace with the same. I am 88KG and need strong wheels. They are used on my 1999 Fondriest Spur and look appropriate for the age of the frame. On a ultra light and modern Carbon frame they look great but would be excellent winter or training wheels.

Weaknesses:    Weight but adds to the strength.

Bottom Line:
Great rims

Submitted by Craig

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2015

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Many

Bottom Line:
These are the worst wheels I've owned. After every ride (30 miles) there are loose spokes and the wheel must be trued. Can't wait to replace these.

Submitted by Peter Tramel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2015

Strengths:    Sturdy, durable, smooth riding. They have a slight springiness that absorbs shocks well on bad road surfaces. Box-style rims minimize side-wind resistance.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavier and not as stiff as some other wheels around this price point. I am sometimes bothered by the lack of stiffness taking off and on tough climbs.

Bottom Line:
These are great all-rounders. In this 32-spoke configuration with the reliable, serviceable Ultegra hubs, they are a great wheelset for heavy roadies like me who ride distance / endurance. They would be a great training wheelset for anyone. This has been my main road wheelset for four years, +6K miles. During all that time I have weighed over 200 Ibs, usually around 215Ibs as now, and I have been on a lot of rough roads, urban and rural. Yet in all that time, all I have had to do to these was true and re-dish the rear wheel once, and that was after three years. I have never broken a spoke on these and I have never replaced the bearings in the hubs. We recently moved to the Great Plains where winds are usually very strong and can gust up from multiple directions. A box rim like this is especially good for this kind of environment because it cuts down on side wind resistance. Even with these low-profile rims I have been literally blown off the road here a couple of times.

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Racing 5s, Mavic CX22s

Bike Setup:   2014 Masi Evoluzione M7 carbon frame, Shimergo drivetrain (Chorus/Ultegra, with a Techmate convertor to convert Campy to Shimano cable pull ratios). Ultegra 6750 compact crankset. 25mm Continental 4000s2 tire in back and 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa EVO tire in front.

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!