Mavic R-Sys wheelsets - clincher

3.53/5 (38 Reviews)

The R-sys WTS wheel-tire system is comprised of Mavic's Tracomp equipped R-sys rims and the Yksion Pro. Extremely light Tracomp carbon spokes work to provide an incredibly stiff wheel that transfers power quickly and efficiently while Gr...

Submitted by trevor silvera

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    The rims are very light and strong.

Weaknesses:    Problem with carbon and alloy spokes where end of spokes is covered by nipple, spokes froze to nipple. Impossible to retrue wheels as the whole spokes turn when trying to retrue because of frozen spokes head to nipple. Rear retaining ring broke, noise from rear bearings.

Bottom Line:
Wheels are light and strong, climbs well and runs good on flats. Hard to get replacement spokes as the dealer just told me to wait for his 2013 order to come in at end of year. I did expect better service from Mavic as these wheels are expensive and should be more durable. Was told by dealer that i will have to replace the entire side of spokes. 8 spokes not just the one broken spokes. these carbon spokes are expensive.

Submitted by crmbrule1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Strengths:    stiff, climb well, very light clinchers.

Weaknesses:    service could be a little better, but overall great company and wheels Im a fan!

Bottom Line:
Purchased these over topolinos after hearing about the spoke problems with those wheels. These wheels are light and fasr hills, sprints, but I did purchase these before the recalls . sent both of them back and it took several months to get them back. I use these along with my training heavy wheels. Im not a little guy., 210 6 ft 1 and I hammer these wheels./ I also have zips and others and have the confidence for double cenrurys and races on these wheel. I will run them till they are dust. You cant always have a perfect bike wheel they all have issues, including zipp 404s, sent both of thoses back too. these rock!!

Favorite Ride:   laguna triangle

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   zipp, bontrager, speciealzed/hed

Bike Setup:   lynkey r330, lemond victorie carbon/ti, look kx,

Submitted by colnago888 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, yet compliant with the correct tire/wheel set-up. I recommend Vittorias any day. Love the black rims and spokes and the carbon hubs. I also like the wheel magnet design.

Weaknesses:    There is a bit of play in the rear hub which I cannot figure out how to fix, but not enough to be a negative. It is a very slight play which probably just needs some tightening of the cones. No other weakness found.

Bottom Line:
I was hesitant buying carbon-spoked wheels at first, but I did hear that Mavic recalled the first generation R-Sys. I was pleasantly surprised to get these wheels brand new. I put Vittoria Open Corsa CX 320 TPI on the wheels and I really love the set up. The wheels are stiff, but the Vittorias smooth the vibrations. I took a corner at about 22 mph and found the wheels to be responsive. The Vittorias are very grippy and the R-Sys were very stiff on the turns - no wasted energy going around the corners or off-the-saddle sprinting. I did notice the dust caps are just flat pieces of carbon which leads me to believe that I should not ride these wheels in the wet.

Favorite Ride:   Colnago CT2 HP with Record 11 Speed

Purchased At:   Veloswap

Similar Products Used:   American Classic 420 Aero, Campagnolo Shamal ULTRA.

Bike Setup:   Colnago CT2 HP, 2011 Campagnolo Record 11 Speed, Ritchey Bar (46 c-c) and FSA SLK 120 mm stem, U.S.E. Alien Carbon seatpost with Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle, Vittoria tires.

Submitted by Jared a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2011

Strengths:    They are Rock solid a strong as hell. Fast accelerate climb like a bat out of hell. Cant say enough good things about them.

Weaknesses:    They are a little slower on the flats.

Bottom Line:
Ture I was afarid to try these wheels too with all the bad stories and awfull stories wth them but I got the revised version so I thought Mavic deserved a second chance. These are incredable wheels, they are stiff as hell but they do smooth out the ride just a little over the Ksyurim SL. They react and acclerate as fast as you even think about it. And they are incredablly strong I am 6'2 185lbs. and they have worked awesome. I ride on rough roads and abuse the hell out of them but they are still perfectlly true. I have even commutted on them for a couple of months.

Favorite Ride:   The Hill to Riverside