Neuvation Cycling R 28 SL wheelsets - clincher

4.43/5 (76 Reviews)

These 1470 gram wheels make great climbing or racing wheels. Triple butted spokes are 2.3 mm at the bend and 1.7 mm in the middle. The 27 mm deep V rim section is strong and aerodynamic. Comes with rim strips, skewers, and extra spokes.

Submitted by Clay Spencer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2016

Strengths:    Light, strong, durable, bearings spin ultra smooth

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have had this wheelset on my road bike for many years now. They have proven to be an ultra-reliable, lightweight, high-performance wheelset. I have not ridden on many greater than entry level wheelsets, but I would hazard to say that you would have to spend well over $1000 to find an equivalent level of weight and performance. I originally started with R28 SL3s and then when a minivan drove over my front wheel I immediately ordered a new R28 SL5. I try not to abuse my wheels on curbs or potholes and I only have to get them trued every couple of years (mostly the rear). I would not hesitate to order another wheelset from John Nugent.

Purchased At:   Neuvation cycling

Similar Products Used:   Alex rims, shimano hubs

Bike Setup:   KHS flite 750, Shimano 105 components, Neuvation R28 SL wheelset, Continental Gatorskin tires

Submitted by CJ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight and strong. Excellent customer service.

Weaknesses:    So far none.

Bottom Line:
Very smooth bearings. Arrived straight, and only needed a few 1/4 turns to keep them that way for 18 months. I'm 190 pounds and they seem plenty tough for how light they are.

Bike Setup:   Carbon Frame, Dura Ace 7800 components.

Submitted by Sighclone

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, solid, true

Weaknesses:    Front wheel catches wind

Bottom Line:
Switched off the Mavic Aksiums on my Scott CR-1 Team, put on Conti GP4000S skins: WOW. At least 10%, maybe 15% faster everywhere. Cannot beat the price at John's website...mine are 2013 models, btw. I wan't fully prepared for sidewind effect on the front, but if you are ready, it's not a big deal. I'm not a racer, just a fast recreational rider, so aero spokes might help.

Submitted by Jeff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    Light, responsive, track beautifully and roll like they are on frictionless bearings.

Bottom Line:
I have about 500 miles on these wheels, which I bought to replace a set of Reynolds Allez that had simply worn out after 6 years of great riding. The Neuvations are about 10% lighter than the Reynolds, but show no loss of tracking on the downhills or in the wind. Very responsive when climbing or accelerating. Most fun thing is that I am pretty light, but these babies have me rolling past much heavier riders on the long downhills. Using standard spokes (and getting extras thrown into the box) will be a plus if I ever pop one.

Purchased At:   Neuvation, on sale

Bike Setup:   Fuji Team RC

Submitted by John O

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    What else the price! nice looking wheels,light, easily moved up 2 mph faster! The 2013 model must be an improvement, im over 200 lbs, no flex no noise on hills smoothe as silk bearings,good to go!

Weaknesses:    Nothing as of yet, a little stiff but Mavic aksium cant compare to these wheels or any other for the price.

Bottom Line:
2013 is the way to go with this wheel set!