Neuvation Cycling R28 Aero 2 wheelsets - clincher

3.89/5 (18 Reviews)

Lightweight wheels at a great price. I’ve been working on this set for a long time. Finally, my rim maker, developed a 27 mm V rim that weighs about 440 grams. He did it by using a new alloy that allows him to make a thinner wall. I am now using a different spoke maker on all the Neuvation wheels and these are a 5.0 mm blade. Pretty sweet.
  • 1600 Grams per set *
  • Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed or Campy compatible
  • Deep V 27 mm CNC silver sleeved 420 gram rims
  • 16 spoke front, 20 spoke rear
  • Silver Stainless steel 2.3, 5.0, 2.0 Aero Spokes
  • Alloy nipples, brass drive side rear
  • Forged alloy silver anodized hub shell with cut outs
  • Forged alloy cassette body easily changed between Shimano and Campy
  • Precision-sealed cartridge bearings with dual seals super smooth
  • 7000 series alloy axles
  • With normal travel quick release levers
  • 700C Clincher
  • Wheel weights are without skewers and rim strips

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by aaron

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Nice hubs, looks, fairly light weight, spin up fast, good customer service

Weaknesses:    Rim material is weak

Bottom Line:
    I put less then 500 miles on these wheels when the rear rim failed on me. Three nipples pulled through the rim and a instant flat. It was a bit scary since this was on a fast decent, plus It left me stranded 80 miles from home. I looking the rim over and noticed about 25% of the nipple holes on the rim had hairline fractures. The wheel was still under warrenty and nuevation was willing to replace the rim and repairs for free. The bummer was I had to pay for shipping both ways and a handling fee which added up to being half of the wheel cost. I didn't want to get another of the same rim and risk being stuck out in BFE like last time. So i decliened took a loss and bought a new wheel set with mavic rims. Since then I have had zero issues 2000 miles later and still going strong and true.

Submitted by Adam426

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Low weight, aero look, stellar performance.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Mounted these with Stan's No Tubes conversion kit (rim tape, valves, & sealant) and Bontrager's R4 tubeless tires. Lower rolling resistance evident and lighter weight. Outstanding performance. I've read some negative reviews of these wheels here. For me, no issues and great performance. Highly reccomend these wheels, price aside. Add in the value due to low price and you can't beat these wheels.

Submitted by patmac a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Crazy lightweight for the price.
    I like the QR skewers that were included.
    The hubs spin waaay longer than anything else I have owned.
    Awesome customer service when I last had to talk to them in early 2009.

Weaknesses:    They do have some flex under power.
    The sets of Continental Grand Prix tires have had to go in the dryer for a few minutes in order to get wrestled on the rim.

Bottom Line:
    This is for the R28 Aero 4 wheelset circa 2009.

I have had amazing luck with these! $239 seemed too good to be true. However, two years and several thousand miles later I have probably gotten my money's worth. They weigh hardly anything and have held up well. There are no cracks and I haven't broken a spoke or pulled one through the rim.

I took off the small circular stickers immediately and the big ones came off a year later. Three months in I snapped the pawl engagement spring on the rear hub, yet the sucker still engaged just fine for the remaining 30 miles. Neuvation mailed out two new ones the next day and I haven't had a problem since replacing it.

The only maintenance on these easily serviceable wheels was a rear true this spring and some grease here and there.

They have been used for a few road races and a few triathlons along with many recreational miles. My training partner once knocked me down a steep, rock covered hill after a snake surprised her. These wheels sure hit some nasty stuff for a minute and didn't break a spoke, bend or shed any tears.

I would buy again if I knew for sure the newer wheels were at least as high of quality.

I understand others have had a negative experience, however I have been more than satisfied with the Aero 4 wheelset.

Favorite Ride:   With other people

Purchased At:   Neuvation

Similar Products Used:   A couple Bontrager sets, Xero, and multiple mt bike wheelsets.

Bike Setup:   These wheels are typically attached to a Giant OCR or Trek tri bike and a 200lb rider.

Submitted by tmabiker1234 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I was stoked to get the wheels and the tubeless tire kit I purchased together. Went right to work getting them ready in my living room, and was pumping up the first tire I got to about 80psi, at which point the bead tore off the rim, creating a horribly loud boom in an enclosed space and spraying Stan's no tube fluid everywhere floor to ceiling. Turned out they sent sent me regular clinchers, not tubeless! My ears rang for two days afterwards, I would have sued if kids were around, my neighbors said they were going to call the cops until they saw me . The scariest thing is what if I had stopping pumping at 75psi and taken the out for a spin? Love to have them blow off coming around a corner at 35 or 40mph. All they did was nonchalantly offer to send me the correct tires and let me keep the wrong ones. I was so offended I sent the wheels straight back. They might be a good deal, but man.

Submitted by mapryor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight with a great price point.

Weaknesses:    Significant spoke problems will lead me to NEVER use these wheels again. And I wouldn't feel right fixing the spoke and selling the set on eBay.

Bottom Line:
    I have written positive reviews for Neuvations before as I had good experience with these wheels in the past, but my two latest sets of M28 Aero2s, purportedly their strongest wheels have revised my ratings. My latest set, upgraded with their ceramic bearing incentive, had a rear spoke nipple back off the spoke only after 500 - 1,000 miles of use. My LBS fixed it, but it happened again within another 200 - 300 miles of use, just 20 miles in to the Alta Alpina Challenge, ruining the ride and requiring I be SAG'd. I weigh 195 and climb a lot, but it seems the latest vintage of their wheels just aren't strong enough. Also, I broke a spoke on another rear M28 on a cycling trip in France, necessitating the emergency purchase of a new Mavic rear so I could continue the trip. After getting great use out of a couple of sets years ago, the latest vintage seem much more flimsy.

Favorite Ride:   Alpine Dam Route, Marin Co

Purchased At:   Online through their

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke customer builds, Bontrager Classics.

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Madone 5.2 with Bontrager Classics (now).

Bontrager Select vs. Neuvation R28 Aero 2

Hi, I am looking to upgrade the Bontrager Selects that came with my Trek 2100. Would the Neuvation R28 Aero 2 be a good selection for the price? I only put in ~ 100 miles a week and weigh 195 lbs. What would some of the things that I would notice right way with the new wheels? Thanks -RGRead More »