Neuvation Cycling R28 SL 3 wheelsets - clincher

Rims 440 grams.
With quick releases.
Without rim strips.
700C clincher.

Note: Wheel weights are without qr's.

Available in:
silver or black.

Submitted by SRV a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    Price.

Weaknesses:    Rim. The freehub body is soft metal and the cassette digs into it. I had a hard time getting a cassette off and ordered a new body after a year.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the previous generation R28SL2, but I think the rims are the same. I was happy with my wheels as they were light and rolled well. I thought I struck the jackpot with the price. I weigh 185 pounds and put about 6,000 miles on the wheels

I noticed last week that there were cracks radiating out from four spoke holes on the rear rim. Neuvation offers a re-build service for $75 if you send them the hub. I decided against it since I would like more longevity.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Neuvation

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Brian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Wheel spins up fast and corners well. If you trash one you wont cry yourself to sleep over it! just buy another for $190

Weaknesses:    decals are a bit much.

Bottom Line:
I ride and race Ksyrium SL and some Easton Circuits, I bought the neuvations used so I could have a cheap wheelset to train on, these have become my go to hill race wheel. I noticed the difference on my first training ride, I stayed with the front guys over every hill and it wasn't a chore ( at 204 that's saying something ). I like these so much I bought a pair of the m28 Areo wheels a week after getting these. I broke a spoke after 8 months of training on these and had to ride 20+ hilly miles back to the truck, rim held up great and trued within 2 turns of the wrench. Try that with any other 1500 gr wheel! I put these on my GF's bike for a hilly group ride and haven't seen them since. She won't give them back.

Favorite Ride:   all of them

Purchased At:   Classified

Similar Products Used:   Ksyrium SL, easton circuit.

Bike Setup:   Orbea Columbus Starship crit machine.

Submitted by kblehman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light and quick, very good price

Weaknesses:    Durability, durability, durability

Bottom Line:
I love my Giant OCR Ltd but it came with heavy, mediocre rims, so when I decided to upgrade I was looking for something lighter at a fair price. After narrowing it down to Neuvation and Williams I chose the R28-SL3 from Neuvation.

FWIW, I'm 5'-10", 180-lbs, 50 years old and ride approx 1500 miles/year. (Hey, it's MI!) My avg speed for a 35-mi ride is ususally 18-19 mph. As you can tell I don't race, I don't do crits, I've never crashed on these rims.

When I put these rims on my OCR I could instantly tell they were lighter and quicker. They helped with my nemesis--hill climbing--and seemed to be of high quality.

Unfortunately, after just 5000 miles the rear wheel developed a squeak, then a wobble. Upon inspection I found that 7 of the cassette-side spoke holes were cracked, some severely.

I contacted Neuvation Customer Support and asked if they'd replace the rim or provide a discount on the purchase of a new one. I was referred to their online disclaimer about the life span of light rims and offered a standard rebuild for $65 (plus shipping both ways). It was also suggested that I purchase their Wheel Protection Program with the next rim (which wouldn't have done any good for my cracked SL3 since it's more than 2 years old).

I'm pretty disappointed in both the poor durability of this rim and the tepid response I got from Neuvation. Friends have put 15k miles on similar Mavic rims with no problems but I didn't get 5k out of these.

And, unlike others here who received replacement and/or otherwise excellent customer service from Neuvation in the past, I did not. Their response, coupled with the wheel protection plan and online disclaimer, makes me wonder if the failure rate of these rims is more akin to what I experienced.

I have not returned the rim for a rebuild because I hesitate to spend more money on a rim that seems destined to fail again in the future. I am currently looking to replace it with a rim of better quality, as the R28-SL3 has not proven to be durable enough for me. Nor, for that matter, has Neuvation customer service measured up to my expectations.

For these two reasons I would not recommend the Neuvation R28-SL3 rear.

Favorite Ride:   Giant OCR Limited

Purchased At:   Lansing MI Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Xero, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR Limited, Ultegra Triple, Selle San Marco saddle. A very comfortable ride.

Submitted by Mike B a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, excellent ride, John Nugent.

Weaknesses:    Graphics could stand improvement. No other weaknesses worth mentioning.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden these wheels for a couple of seasons now on two different frames and have been very happy with them. They are impressively light and very strong. Ride quality is exceptional, especially given their price. I also had the creaking rear wheel issue, and John worked with me to eliminate it. He made numerous suggestions, sent me a replacement axle and finally replaced the rear wheel with a remanufactured one. That one has had no issues. I've only had to retension the wheels once, and I ride some fairly rough roads and weigh around 175lbs.
Last year I did the Stan's conversion to make them tubeless, what a difference! The conversion was problem free and made a noticeable improvement to an already great ride. I highly recommend going tubeless to anyone. Like most, I also thought the stickers were a bit over the top and removed all but one on each wheel. John does such a fantastic job I definitely want to promote him and his product. My buddies tubeless Dura Ace wheels are significantly lighter, but at 3x the price and they don't seem to be any faster on the road.

Favorite Ride:   West Hills PDX

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Campy Protons, Velocity Sparticus, Dura Ace 7801, some Mavic/Shimano combos.

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro, Campy Record 10 C, Selle Itallia SLR, Bontrager carbon bars, FSA 115 stem.

Submitted by slicrick a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    Quality, value, customer service, and shipping service. Looks great on my Serotta.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet. Just very happy with my purchase.

Bottom Line:
Wow! Unbelievable Wheelset. It's been a while since I've made a purchase and received soooo much value for my money!! This John guy--knows the bike biz, he deserves an award from the the bike industry. Additionally, I'm leaving the Neuvation decals on. I will proudly promote Neuvation wheels. Give credit where credit is due. These wheels stand up easily to Mavic o/p ceramic cd and DT Swiss. Both brands of wheels I own. I will probably buy the Neuvation carbon wheels soon. I was even impressed by the quality and care of how the wheels were packaged upon arrival. Out of the box... these wheels are/were stellar on the 1st ride!

Favorite Ride:   Serotta / Mt Diablo